Thyroid meds

Options
ljpark
ljpark Posts: 21 Member
Hi All
As some of you may have seen from my other posts, I was in a very bad hypo place where I was accumulating symptoms, despite my blood work (TSH FT3 FT4) being in the "normal" range. After the usual bad experience with an Endo in Australia (many similar posts on the Inspire Thyca site), I saw an Integrative medical practicioner who was able to prescribe T3 (cytomel). I am now almost 6 weeks down the track on combined T3/T4 and can not believe how much of my pre-Thyca life (excluding the Hashi's flare ups) I have now got back. It is amazing!
So, for all of those out there, and we are the minority - apparetly only 10-15% of us need this combination or natural thyroid medication, who need more than T4, fight to try the alternatives!
Much happier!!!
LJP

Replies

• Kmanr
    Kmanr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great. You've always been a powerhouse, now supercharged. Worried for those you may compete against. I'm about a month away from introducing T3 as a test, can't wait. Thanks for sharing!
  • ljpark
    Options
    I think the trick is taking enough T3 for it to have an effect. There is also a ramp up period for T3, and corresponding ramp down with T4 (the T4 ramp down is associated with your boddy processing it. You can drop the T4 immediately, no ramp down in dose required). I wouldn't udnerestimate this either, particularly if you are aiming for a significant amount (>20 mcg) of T3.
    Splitting the dose is important, and there is lots on the thyca site as to the logic of this.
    LOTS of will power keeps me going. I know my mind can run my body into the ground, from previous experiences!
  • Kmanr
    Options
    Good job, thanks a lot for the advice
  • ljpark
    Options
    Hi Kmanr
    Have you started with T3?
    LJP
  • Kmanr
    Options
    Funny enough the answer is sort of. I started having muscle / tendon problems and both my Endos had been reluctant to move away from T4 only until I did. Long story short, I went off all thyroid meds for 5 days and felt great, started on armour and had problems with face sores... So I was put on tirosent about 5 days ago to hopefully clean me up. Next I'll be put on naturethroid which has some T3 and we'll see. How are you doing now? Hope T3 still making big difference for you!
  • ljpark
    Options
    I saw your latest posts on Inspire. Sounds like you have had a rough time of it :/ .
    It seems that RAI is the cause of my woes this year. Having both T4 and T3 makes life easier, as I can easily adjust T3 depending on how I feel. My muscle issues move around, compared to pre-RAI when most of my issues sat in my hip flexors and plantar faciitis. Now they spend a few weeks in different parts of my body. Any reason why you want to change to NT as opposed to using T4 and T3? You may also want to have access to T4 or T3 with your NT, depending on what works for you.
    From all of my reading, I am aiming for minimal T4 and maximum T3! That way I can minimise the potential for any RT3 issues.
    LJP