MCT oil

mcpostelle
mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
Since I'm relatively new to doing keto the right way I have a few questions about MCT oil. How do you guys use it? Eat it by spoonful and/or just use it in coffee/cooking/drinks? Have you guys noticed any improvement using MCT oil vs the other oils i.e. coconut oil? Just curious, I've been reading a lot about it, but most people only mention what it does, medium chain triglyceride (MCT) and so on.

I like that it's more fat heavy, but am wondering before I order.

Replies

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    I didn't buy it until 2nd month in to a LCHF plan..I didn't realize the main reason to have them close together ( butte and MCT) is that MCT gives you energy immediately, and the butter in coffee extends out the need to eat..so I usually have a tablespoon by itself before or after my morning coffee. I personally do not like the taste of coconut MCT IN my coffee..the butte and heavy cream + cocoa powder is lovely..and I look forward to it, then don't need to eat until 2-3 pm. but I am working an 8:16 type LC diet.

also the stuff is PRICEY..A qt.bottle at HFS for $20..which seems really high…( as a huge jug jar of plain coconut fat is $12.) some people get better sales than we do here…... and I DON'T just eat a tbl of plain coconut oil in a jar..too much coconut for me. but the MCT is better tasting and stays liquid in the fridge.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I do coconut oil, not MCT oil, but on the LCD group, there was an entire discussion on the differences. Some noticed differences, some didn't. Personally, due to the cost and the fact that MCT is refined greatly/processed, I'll stick with coconut oil.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Eh, stick with coconut oil.
  • mcpostelle
    I didn't buy it until 2nd month in to a LCHF plan..I didn't realize the main reason to have them close together ( butte and MCT) is that MCT gives you energy immediately, and the butter in coffee extends out the need to eat..so I usually have a tablespoon by itself before or after my morning coffee. I personally do not like the taste of coconut MCT IN my coffee..the butte and heavy cream + cocoa powder is lovely..and I look forward to it, then don't need to eat until 2-3 pm. but I am working an 8:16 type LC diet.

also the stuff is PRICEY..A qt.bottle at HFS for $20..which seems really high…( as a huge jug jar of plain coconut fat is $12.) some people get better sales than we do here…... and I DON'T just eat a tbl of plain coconut oil in a jar..too much coconut for me. but the MCT is better tasting and stays liquid in the fridge.

The immediate energy would be a positive, but I don't struggle with energy. Yep, it is pricey which is why I wanted opinions before I decided to buy it. It's $15 dollars here where as coconut oil is much cheaper and easier to get. Anyways, that's something to think about and might be good for winter when I'm dragging around. lol
  • mcpostelle
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I do coconut oil, not MCT oil, but on the LCD group, there was an entire discussion on the differences. Some noticed differences, some didn't. Personally, due to the cost and the fact that MCT is refined greatly/processed, I'll stick with coconut oil.

I've been reading about that also coconut oil is made out of MCT with a few LCT; so, I don't see how it's such a big deal. I really dislike the taste of coconut, but either I'm going to have to suck it up and get used to it or just spend the extra money. However if I cook with coconut I can't taste it, it's when in drinks and by spoonfuls that I dislike it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    It's the other way around. MCT is partially refined things from LCT, including coconut oil, so it's supposed to be a blend of the best of the LCT....

I use REFINED coconut oil, and I positive love it. Virgin tastes like coconut, refined is unflavored. I use that can get a normal sized jar (like a quart, two?) for under $7 here in Oklahoma. Lasts me weeks and weeks in my tea.
  • mcpostelle
    hmmm, I never knew that, learned something new today. I'll definately be looking for unrefined the next time that I'm out. Thanks!