Whole 30 starting tomorrow

Options
2»

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I actually managed to eat within Whole30 guidelines yesterday, despite being sick. I only strayed in one thing (and that was because at the time I wasn't feeling well and so I went on memory rather than looking it up) -- I had butter on my baked yam. Funny how I craved baked yam rather than our typical sick day Sprite-and-toasted-GF-bread! I guess my body's getting used to grain free eating, nearly a month into this different way of eating. Back to the butter... Today I'm going to clarify the pastured organic butter that is in my fridge and then it will be Whole30 compliant.

For breakfast I had leftover pot-roasted chicken, carrots, and rutabagas from the weekend. It's easy -- just warm it up -- and I don't have to think about food much. Even though I'm not really hungry, it went down easily, and seemed almost as much a comfort food as chicken soup might be. I'm not queasy today, just lacking in energy. Not surprising -- my body thoroughly cleaned itself out yesterday.

How are you doing on *your* Whole30 today? Any tips to share?
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Oh! And my knees are *much* better today! Woohoo!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    My first day is going OK! In the past it was day four that killed me! I think my motivation for doing it this time makes it easier for me. I want to be done with the pain!

Pain is such a great motivation. I have not been tempted to "cheat" at all since I dropped grains (even GF) and sugar on May 22. It cut the pain down to a dull roar with only occasional flares of incapacitating pain. (Like when I went off nightshades for a week, and then had a nightshade-heavy meal (lots of tomatoes and peppers in homemade spaghetti sauce) and could barely move for two days after.)

I think the low-level (dull roar) pain might have been related to the fact that I hadn't dropped eggs yet. After two days off eggs, even that background pain seems to be subsiding. It just may be working. I found a couple of egg-free mayo recipes online yesterday, but one is cashew-based (and avoiding nuts is part of the autoimmune protocol) so I'm going to try the other one (today, if I can get up the energy). I can't remember what all is in it except it has coconut oil and lemon juice and is better in cold dishes, is safe at room temp, and tend to turn very liquid in warmer weather.

I hope when I reintroduce eggs a month from now all will be forgiven and my body will reconcile nicely with them. If not, well, being pain free is worth the restrictions.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am only on my second day and it is hard to imagine being pain free,or even less pain! I am also following the AI plan and am OK with the extra restrictions if it really works for me! I am determined not to get frustrated if I don't see fast results, I realize even a slight improvement this first 30 days is an improvement. That will be enough to keep me motivated.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get in on this! The giving up dairy will be tough - Fage yogurt, cheese and milk are pretty common in my diet but perhaps eliminating them will be good.

Is anyone taking photos, measurements, etc. to share before and after?
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I'd like to get in on this! The giving up dairy will be tough - Fage yogurt, cheese and milk are pretty common in my diet but perhaps eliminating them will be good.

I took photos! OMG talk about bad! I also took some of my hands which are very sore and puffy! I am on day 3 and I am doing okay with out dairy! I also dropped eggs (for AI protocol) .. So far so good but from past experience for me the 4 day is the toughest!
  • homesweeths
    Options

I took photos! OMG talk about bad! I also took some of my hands which are very sore and puffy! I am on day 3 and I am doing okay with out dairy! I also dropped eggs (for AI protocol) .. So far so good but from past experience for me the 4 day is the toughest!

You can do it!

In my experience, the change was so gradual that I didn't really notice I was getting better until all of a sudden I noticed I was able to climb up stairs again without really thinking about each step. The improvement was not all of a sudden, just little by little, so that I didn't really notice until the little bits added up. By the second week I was feeling much better, which is why I got cocky and added back nightshades at the end of the second week. Big mistake!

...so hang in there.

I'm reminded of my running days. In my 20s I ran 3 to 6 miles a day. I was in the best shape of my life, I think, despite my vegetarian diet and periodic sugar binges. Even so, the first mile was always agony. No exceptions. The closer I got to the one-mile point, the worse I felt, almost as if I was running myself into the flu. My whole body ached, my legs felt like lead, and the feeling that I just needed to quit, it wasn't going to work that day, I just needed to quit and walk back home, that feeling got stronger and stronger the closer I got to the one-mile point. And then suddenly the runner's high would kick in (it was always around the one-mile point), all the pain and effort would drop away and I'd feel like I was running on air, like I could run forever.

Maybe day 5 (or 6 or 7) is your one-mile point...

How about on day 4 if you treat yourself with something special, like steak? (Around here, steak is a treat. Don't know what you'd consider a Whole30 treat.)
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options

You can do it!

In my experience, the change was so gradual that I didn't really notice I was getting better until all of a sudden I noticed I was able to climb up stairs again without really thinking about each step. The improvement was not all of a sudden, just little by little, so that I didn't really notice until the little bits added up. By the second week I was feeling much better, which is why I got cocky and added back nightshades at the end of the second week. Big mistake!

...so hang in there.

I'm reminded of my running days. In my 20s I ran 3 to 6 miles a day. I was in the best shape of my life, I think, despite my vegetarian diet and periodic sugar binges. Even so, the first mile was always agony. No exceptions. The closer I got to the one-mile point, the worse I felt, almost as if I was running myself into the flu. My whole body ached, my legs felt like lead, and the feeling that I just needed to quit, it wasn't going to work that day, I just needed to quit and walk back home, that feeling got stronger and stronger the closer I got to the one-mile point. And then suddenly the runner's high would kick in (it was always around the one-mile point), all the pain and effort would drop away and I'd feel like I was running on air, like I could run forever.

Maybe day 5 (or 6 or 7) is your one-mile point...

How about on day 4 if you treat yourself with something special, like steak? (Around here, steak is a treat. Don't know what you'd consider a Whole30 treat.)

Totally LOVE the analogy! Four isn't tough in regards to food as much as cutting back on my carbs. But we do. Have a 'fun dinner' planned. Going boating and stopping at our favorite spot to eat a whole 30 dinner. AI for me too! I already told myself if I start to feel better I won't add night shades, I will give it the 30 days and reevaluate my plan. I am so cool with eating this way if it means I can be pain free! I really do have to keep your story in my mind, so perfect, thanks for sharing it!
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Paleo with an autoimmunity twist for a few weeks. Initially no eggs, nuts, nightshades. I last week I tested out nuts a couple of times with no noticable change. Last night I ate tomatoes and am waiting to see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the great links.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I've been doing the Paleo with an autoimmunity twist for a few weeks. Initially no eggs, nuts, nightshades. I last week I tested out nuts a couple of times with no noticable change. Last night I ate tomatoes and am waiting to see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the great links.

So you felt better when you eliminated those foods?