Head-rushes- Should I supplement with iron or something else?

Options
miriamtob
miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
I have such low blood pressure, I get a huge head-rush EVERY time I stand up. I black out a little and need to hold onto something. I'd like for the orthostatic-hypotension to go away. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see your doctor about this....
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this too, especially in the summer. My doctor tells me my red blood cells are too abundant, and my blood is thick, so I should drink more water, but when I do, it all just comes out in pee. My numbers don't change. Recently, due to the good input I have gotten here, I have been increasing my electrolytes. It has made a huge difference. I put sea salt, potassium and magnesium in my drinking water. My dizziness is gone. (But yes, it would be a good idea to check with your doctor to see if something else is going on. )
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    How low are your carbs? Try an increase of sodium. I take 1-2 sodium chloride pills daily depending on my carb level. An easy/safe experiment would be to drink a cup of bouillon (about 1gram of sodium per serving ) or the equivalent of salted water to see if your symptoms improve.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That is a tricky thing. You probably should see a doctor, but that doesn't always help. It used to happen to me a LOT when I was younger. I would even sometimes pass out and/or have a seizure. By the time I got to the doctor, they would dismiss it and say it was because I stood up too fast. It almost never happens to me anymore, so I'm not sure what changed. I do notice it happens (less severe, though), when I haven't had enough of something in my food. I haven't figured out what, yet, except that it isn't a carbs issue and it could be blood sugar. I was running low blood pressure too, then, so it may be sodium like Pebbles suggests, because my blood sodium sometimes runs low eating Paleo - especially if I am drinking a lot of water. Sorry for my rambling. I was thinking as I was typing..
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Where do you get boullion, MDAPebbles? My carbs are around 100 grams/day. I very rarely go super low. Keemra, how do you put potassium and magnesium in your drinking water? Is it a powdered product? Kim Harper, my BP has always been incredibly low and docs are always complimentary of it, but It seems to come with some undesirable consequences.
  • keemra
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. Where do you get boullion, MDAPebbles? My carbs are around 100 grams/day. I very rarely go super low. Keemra, how do you put potassium and magnesium in your drinking water? Is it a powdered product? Kim Harper, my BP has always been incredibly low and docs are always complimentary of it, but It seems to come with some undesirable consequences.

Mostly I am adding natural sea salt that is harvested in the outer islands of Okinawa. It is naturally high in potassium and magnesium. (I live in Japan) I also sometimes add light salt which is half potassium. I can also get powdered magnesium here. It is sold as a treatment for constipation.

My blood pressure has been low all my life too. In the summer when it is hot and humid and I sweat a lot it sometimes goes as low as 80/40. Since I have been drinking more salt, it has stayed around 110/70, which is a lot more comfortable for me.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    Bouillon is usually found in the soup aisle of any store. 1/2 a teaspoon of table salt in water would get you the same level of sodium as well.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I get them too and I have a magic potion that makes them go away. A cup of bouillon (Marigold brand if you are interested but any will do or just stock cubes) plus added salt and sometimes liquid aminos (a lot like soy sauce if you're off gluten). AMAZING.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    I've started adding some Celtic sea salt to my water. One whole teaspoon seems like a lot, but I'll try it. Should I be worried about the msg in boullion? Thanks!
  • MDAPebbles67
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If the msg worries you, just use the salt. :) I take sodium chloride pills I ordered from amazon.

Funny thing about sodium levels. I am a singer who does musical theater. Even when I eat moderate carb, (150grams/day) I find that I need to supplement sodium to avoid breathlessness.
  • keemra
    Options
    I've started adding some Celtic sea salt to my water. One whole teaspoon seems like a lot, but I'll try it. Should I be worried about the msg in boullion? Thanks!
    The MSG and other chemicals in bullion are the reason I do the sea salt instead. Let us know if it makes a difference in how you feel.

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Bouillon is usually found in the soup aisle of any store. 1/2 a teaspoon of table salt in water would get you the same level of sodium as well.
    That's good to know. There's too much other stuff in bouillon that will do a number on me, or set off my cravings.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    If the msg worries you, just use the salt. :) I take sodium chloride pills I ordered from amazon.

Funny thing about sodium levels. I am a singer who does musical theater. Even when I eat moderate carb, (150grams/day) I find that I need to supplement sodium to avoid breathlessness.

I had a few problems early on, as I recall, because I was used to not cooking with salt, nor salting my food. Now I do both.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Hey all, thank you for the advice. I did buy the sodium chloride pills fro Amazon. I think I've figured out the cause of the dizziness...pregnant!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hey all, thank you for the advice. I did buy the sodium chloride pills fro Amazon. I think I've figured out the cause of the dizziness...pregnant!

OMG! Congratulations!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Congrats! I understand paleo is a healthy way of eating for pregnancy. Make sure you get plenty of protein!