ETL Like Joel in July

Options
Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,962 Member
Are we allowed to call him Joel and not Dr. Furhman? ;) I don't care, I'm trying to stick with that alliterative theme we've had forever now so Joel will have to forgive us, no disrespect intended.

I've been doing fine as far as diet, exercise is a total bust. Work is really consuming my life lately. I am taking Friday off, working Saturday and Sunday, and I really feel like maybe things are getting better. It can't be total illusion. My plan starting after this weekend is to only work one day each weekend, no matter what. I don't care how far behind we get.

I'd really like to get back to the gym starting next week. It's my main goal. Figure out some way to go at least twice, just to get back into the groove, and then keep on.

The smoothies are still working well for me, and I think I am going to continue on that plan for another couple weeks, until things settle down, and then start back into a more strictly ETL style of eating.

June was kind of a quiet month in our little group, hope July picks up a bit. Seems like we've all had events or crises of one sort or another.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Love the title of this month!
    My July goal is to eat a more plant based lower carb diet while TRAVELING.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    :lol: @ Joel..... B)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Sabine, I've drastically cut back on the starchy carbs. I only let myself have them 2 days per week and the scale is finally moving again. Where you heading this time, work travel or fun?

I have the day off woohoo! I am going to spend it cleaning up my mess of a house. I have sadly neglected my housekeeping lately what with working 7 days a week.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    In Parma Ohio for the holiday. Visiting family. Glad to have a long weekend.

Goal is to eat healthy as best I can.

Happy 4th
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    Sabine, I've drastically cut back on the starchy carbs. I only let myself have them 2 days per week and the scale is finally moving again. Where you heading this time, work travel or fun?

I have the day off woohoo! I am going to spend it cleaning up my mess of a house. I have sadly neglected my housekeeping lately what with working 7 days a week.

I'm so glad this is working for you!!
    I'll be in Europe, various places, for work, alas. I wish it was just a holiday. :smile:
  • Mihani
    Options
    Stretched my carb days out to 4 with the holiday weekend. Didn't do too much. Took Friday and Saturday and worked on cleaning my house up, made good progress. I still have quite a few projects to finish. Went to the office yesterday and got quite a bit done, but as per usual nothing I actually planned to work on because there was new stuff. Hoping for a productive week and crank through some more of the stuff on my desk. Back to smoothies today. Bounced up a couple pounds with the carb days which is normal, should come right back off.

Hope you all have a good Monday!
  • Mihani
    Options
    I am having the week from hell. I can't believe it is only Tuesday. Actually snapped at my boss today which isn't unheard of, but I haven't done that in a while. He was cool about it at least, and I did apologize later... he knows how stressful things are right now. It's not like he doesn't snap at me at times too so we trade off lol. Oh well, just gotta keep soldiering on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am having the week from hell. I can't believe it is only Tuesday. Actually snapped at my boss today which isn't unheard of, but I haven't done that in a while. He was cool about it at least, and I did apologize later... he knows how stressful things are right now. It's not like he doesn't snap at me at times too so we trade off lol. Oh well, just gotta keep soldiering on.

I know those snaps. We had a day last year where everyone in my dept simultaneously starting snipping and snapping and then we all stormed off away from each other. Since we all did it, no real apologies happened after. We all just cooled off and went back to work. Ugh. Hate those days and sorry it's so stressful for you.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Sabine, that is cool y'all just moved on at least. I was better today. I didn't stay late again though, figured I best get home and get some pet therapy, do some laundry, eat a good dinner (stir-fry veggies with brown rice). I just wish I could get a handle on things, I really thought it was getting better, but then everything blew up again and I'm swamped. I don't know if I can keep doing this another 10 or 15 years, I love my boss and my work, my relationships with the clients, etc., but the idea of having no life and being this stressed until retirement is getting less and less appealing. If you ever saw Lethal Weapon, as Danny Glover's character says, I'm getting too old for this S---!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Sabine, I've drastically cut back on the starchy carbs. I only let myself have them 2 days per week and the scale is finally moving again.

^^ This is also true for me. I lost 7 lbs since June 26th (but I was also building a treehouse, so I was burning some extra calories, too). Too bad the weight has crept up for the last few months. So I'm working at a deficit here, unfortunately.

Treehouse isn't done yet. Built the rafters yesterday. I was just wrecked after that. We've been using an impact driver and screws, but yesterday I had to hammer in gangnail plates. I have blisters on top of blisters and my arms and shoulders are DONE. Thankfully, I'm at work again today, so I get a bit of a break. I'm back at it on Saturday, though. Gotta get this treehouse DONE!! (I really hope they'll be able to use it this year...) I'll try to upload some pictures later...

Got my trusty green smoothie today for breakie, and I'm gonna run out and get a nice, big salad at lunch. (No groceries at home yet 'cuz I just got back in town last night). Supper is still undecided, but I'm thinking giant stirfry...

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sabine, that is cool y'all just moved on at least. I was better today. I didn't stay late again though, figured I best get home and get some pet therapy, do some laundry, eat a good dinner (stir-fry veggies with brown rice). I just wish I could get a handle on things, I really thought it was getting better, but then everything blew up again and I'm swamped. I don't know if I can keep doing this another 10 or 15 years, I love my boss and my work, my relationships with the clients, etc., but the idea of having no life and being this stressed until retirement is getting less and less appealing. If you ever saw Lethal Weapon, as Danny Glover's character says, I'm getting too old for this S---!

It sounds like something's definitely got to give!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sabine, I've drastically cut back on the starchy carbs. I only let myself have them 2 days per week and the scale is finally moving again.

^^ This is also true for me. I lost 7 lbs since June 26th (but I was also building a treehouse, so I was burning some extra calories, too). Too bad the weight has crept up for the last few months. So I'm working at a deficit here, unfortunately.

Treehouse isn't done yet. Built the rafters yesterday. I was just wrecked after that. We've been using an impact driver and screws, but yesterday I had to hammer in gangnail plates. I have blisters on top of blisters and my arms and shoulders are DONE. Thankfully, I'm at work again today, so I get a bit of a break. I'm back at it on Saturday, though. Gotta get this treehouse DONE!! (I really hope they'll be able to use it this year...) I'll try to upload some pictures later...

Got my trusty green smoothie today for breakie, and I'm gonna run out and get a nice, big salad at lunch. (No groceries at home yet 'cuz I just got back in town last night). Supper is still undecided, but I'm thinking giant stirfry...

This is great! As I mentioned, I've tweaked mine down again as well. And am liking the results on many fronts!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Karrie, that is awesome you are making so much progress on the treehouse. You need to share some pics of it when it's done! Sabine, good to hear you are having good results with the reduction in starchy carbs too. I really feel better when I keep them down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Karrie, that is awesome you are making so much progress on the treehouse. You need to share some pics of it when it's done! Sabine, good to hear you are having good results with the reduction in starchy carbs too. I really feel better when I keep them down.
    I truly think it's how I'm supposed to eat. It's basically how I lost my weight, and need to remind myself from time to time that I feel better when they are controlled a bit.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Here's the treehouse without any rafters on it yet. And a picture of the two tree cutouts. One tree is in the back wall, and one tree is in the deck, so we have boxed around them.

9q2hdg9yk3jh.jpg
    govd1du4u5nb.jpg
    gaeof9xiqchv.jpg

I did my leg workout today, and I had to back off and not take my squats and lunges so deep. I can feel my knee acting up again, and I'm sure it's because of all the ground work I've been doing with the treehouse - it's tough on backs and knees!!!

Breakfast today is a green smoothie and some raw pecans. Lunch is a broccoli salad. Supper out with my hubby tonight (not sure where yet) and then tickets to go see John Mellencamp tonight. Then tomorrow & Sunday we've got more treehouse building to do!!
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention - the treehouse is also going to double as a bunkie -- it'll sleep 4. :smiley: -- our cabin only sleeps 6, so it's almost going to double our capacity!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Mihani, do your higher-ups at your job know how hard you are working? Seems like they should reassign some of your duties, or hire you an assistant.

Karrie, what a cool treehouse! When do you think it will be ready? I don't want to show up too soon
  • Mihani
    Options
    Holy smokes Karrie, that's a true tree house... like a house!

Peas, good to see you. I work in a very small office, it's just me, my boss and a receptionist, so he (the boss) knows, but we're sort of stuck in a loop at this point. We're both working like crazy but something is going to have to give soon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention - the treehouse is also going to double as a bunkie -- it'll sleep 4. :smiley: -- our cabin only sleeps 6, so it's almost going to double our capacity!

It's so cool!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Spent most of the weekend in the office, got quite a bit done, and boss is leaving town for a few days Thursday so hopefully I'll have some good catch up time while he's away. Hope so anyway! Was a little off track this past week, back to salads and smoothies this week, keeping the starchy carbs to 2 days.