Thin and want to build up muscle. Do I need protein powders?

Options
So I have hit my weight loss goal, and have very little body fat left. I now look thin, but not necessarily fit! I want to build up some muscle. My typical workouts are bodyweight training and free weights, kettlebells, Bob Harper yoga and Jillian Michaels DVD's. Typical breakfasts are eggs, oatmeal or cereal (try to find kinds with at least 5 g protein per serving), lunches are very varied and suppers usually a serving of meat with lots of veggies and a bit of carbs. I try to get protein in every meal. My question is, on days when I put in a good strength training workout, do my typical meals have enough protein to build up muscle or should I try protein shakes/powders?

Replies

• tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    My question is, on days when I put in a good strength training workout, do my typical meals have enough protein to build up muscle or should I try protein shakes/powders?
    [/quote]

You haven't given us enough information to answer this question accurately and your diary is not open for us to view either. I would say that given what you did tell us, 5 or 10 grams of protien each meal is not anywhere close to enough if you are looking to build muscle. Depending on your LBM you would need most likely 120+ grams of protein per day. If you can't get that in your food intake, then protien powders are fine to use. I just wouldn't rely on them for the majority of your intake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    to build muscle you need to be eating a calorie surplus, which contains plenty of protein - i can usually get 110g without protein powder, (i am a meat eater) so you may not need powder depending on your current diet.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I agree that we don't have enough information. If you want to gain muscle, you want to be a calorie surplus, like has already been said, and you want to aim to get 1 gram of protein per LBM minimum. My advice would be to go on a 250 calorie per day surplus, aim for at least (your body weight times 0.8) grams of protein per day (be that from regular food or protein powder), and have a good strength routine. You'll gain a bit of fat too, but that's just a part of gaining :flowerforyou:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are meant to supplement your dietary intake of protein. You don't NEED them, but they're a good tool to help boost your protein for the day. When in a building phase, I usually consume up to 160g of protein/day, usually with 2 protein shakes thrown in there. I use a whey shake directly after lifting as quick protein shot to my muscles to help repair/rebuild. I usually have a casein shake before bed to hold me over for the night (I workout at 5am- having the casein shake keeps me from feeling starved when I get up). Other than the shakes, I eat beef jerky, tuna, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, low fat cheese and nuts throughout the day to build up my protein intake from foods rather than supplements. It's better to get your protein intake from food, but if you see that you're consistently falling short of your goal, protein shakes help.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Need? No. You can get all the protein you need from food. That said, they are useful if you want a quick protein boost and aren't harmful.
  • ZB1110
    ZB1110 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to lift heavy and no you don't need protein powder, but it's an easy way to boost protein intake. I would shoot for a around 1 G protein per lb body weight, plus eating a calorie surplus will help gain muscle. Again -lift heavy:)
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No. Regular food will do.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You need more calories . Surplus will build muscle. You might get a little bit of fat along the way, but you can burn that off after bulking. I do recommend protein shakes immediately after workout unless you can go home and eat a good meal with protein within 30 min of finishing the gym. If you cannot, ( and I can't, by the time I change, and drive home, and shower, etc - it takes too long)), than a shake right after will help.