weight loss aids?

Options
Has anyone used them? If so what kind? And did they work? I am think about trying slimquick.

Replies

• tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've tried soooo many "diet aids" over the years. pills, shakes, herbs, soups, counting carbs, no carbs, counting calories, water, rubber belts that "burn fat", laxatives, ive even hired someone to make my meals for me. You name it, I've done it.
    Im at the point in my life where I tell ppl, I had to diet to get this fat. It all works, as long as you work it...sure, but no one tells you that the fad you're trying now, as soon as you stop it, you will gain back all you lost and then some.
    they don't tell you about the days and nights you spend in misery cause you think you failed. they don't' tell you that the "diet" industry is built on the fact that we will get to a point where we will try anything to "look skinny" I even went and spent thousands of dollars on a surgery, that for me, didn't work.

Im not saying these methods don't work. Im not saying they are not worth trying. I am saying if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.

the closest thing I have come to a miracle in weight loss is...and yes I know it sounds out there...Hypnotherapy. For years I thought if I could change the way im programed, if I could change my min's obsession with food, maybe I would have a shot.
    I will say I did a lot of research before choosing. then told myself ive wasted how much money before...if this doesn't work, it's nothing new. However if it does..then look at all I have to gain (or loose, depends how you look at it)
    Well, ive been at it for 2 months and ive lost 20 lbs. It amazes me that I am now normal. I don't always think about food. I feel full..something I haven't felt in many, many years. Im naturally making better choices. It feels like ive been doing it this way all my life. And no, I don't cluck like a chicken whenever I hear the microwave beep.LOL

not saying its the "cure", just that it is working for me. Im certainly not saying don't try the other methods out there. Im more than sure they have worked for some. Everyone has to find what works for them.
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with what tdbad1 said. Many of them work to an extent likely because you're focusing on their recommended usage, suggested menus, etc.

Generally when you stop, you gain it all back and more and then end up trying something else and repeating.

I've done weight watchers, herbal magic and a few other things in the past.

I'm mostly working on focusing on eating more balanced (and changing up when I eat - I now have 3 "meals" and 3 "snacks" in a day), and staying within a target calorie and protein range that was suggested to me from my personal trainer/nutritionist at the gym I go to as well as getting some form of exercise most days. I hit the gym 5 days a week (3 days of the circuit + cardio, 2 days strictly cardio), and usually go for a walk or use the wii exercise programs on the weekend with Sunday being perhaps a casual walk as it's sort of my unofficial "rest day".

Am I finding eating more balanced and exercising harder then some of the things I've done in the past? At times. Do I feel that I'm making progress? Yes - even if it's perhaps at a slower rate Do I feel better health wise and about life in general now that I'm a little over a month into my current exercise and healthy eating plan? yes.

As to any current "gimmicks" that I am using... I do generally have 1-2 smoothies that I blend each day that generally consist of 1 cup of orange juice, 1 cup frozen fruit, a 100g yogurt pot and a scoop of protein powder. Why? I'm not really a breakfast person, but find that I'm able to get something into my system at an earlier hour of the day by doing this vs eating a full breakfast, and it's helping me work towards my protein target. I tend to vary it up at times depending on what's going on and I'm still eating multiple meals a day vs simply consuming shakes, smoothies, or a liquid diet 24/7.

Ultimately, it's about finding what works for you as we all find different approaches work for us differently.