weight loss slowed down since I started running?

Options
_Emu_
_Emu_ Posts: 45 Member
I started running at the start of June, have been going 3 times a week, walk/running about 3k (30 mins)each time, I'm logging all of my food on here and weigh everything, I had been losing 1-2lbs a week but since running I'm lucky if it's half a pound off, I've been told that it's because I'm building muscle but I've also been told you can't build muscle at a calorie deficit? I am loving my running, but just wondered if the same thing had happened to anyone else?

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    No. I've been running three times a week since winter and I was loosing 1-2 lbs per week until last month. I'm loosing much slower now (0.5 - 1 lbs per week), but I do not think it's related to running. I;m getting closer to the goal weight and got less strict about food. Also, I think my running is more efficient now (it's much easier to run) and burn less calories per mile... Are you close to your goal weight?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Even a few weeks later, if your muscles are still adapting to the new loads of running you're likely to be holding water as the saying goes. Have you increased your intake since you started running? If so it's also possible you're over estimating the burn running is giving and eating too much back.
  • _Emu_
    Options
    I want to lose about 1 stone, so quite near goal, I've not been eating back the calories from running but i am drinking a lot more water so i guess it could be that?
    Thank you for your replies, I'm really enjoying the running so I think it might be worth me focusing on that rather than the weight loss at the minute
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You absolutely CAN increase muscle at a calorie deficit. I really doubt if that is what is happening, though. I would take a good look at both your intake and your other activities. Are you taking it a bit easier the rest of the day when you run? If so, your overall calorie burn may be going down. A run is great, but it is not the majority of your burn, so if you become more sedentary when NOT running, you can actually burn FEWER calories.
  • _Emu_
    Options
    Nope not taking it easier the rest of the day, have been keeping my activity levels pretty much the same, other than running, i do around 3.5 miles walking everyday (to and from work) and i work with kids so I'm on my feet pretty much all day, i do my running in the evening when i would otherwise be sitting down x