Camping Food Ideas?

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
Campfire ban on so we are using a small BBQ and campstove. Limited pots etc. Any ideas of food or snacks to eat? I feel I'm going to "fall off the wagon" into junk food heaven on this camping trip and want to be more prepared with snacks, and meals. My kids and hubby normally eat half separate from me due to my inability to eat wheat, minimal lactose, no beans. Ugh...think I might live off of cukes and baby carrots!

Replies

• cejaibe
    cejaibe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is a challenge to eat clean while camping. I backpack, which burns between 300-400 calories an hour carrying a 40 pound pack. I typically eat clean/80% paleo, try to maintain a 40/30/30 split high on protein and eat 6x a day. On my last backpacking trip, I really was more concerned with getting the calories I needed for energy and to keep my body from burning muscle for fuel, so I allowed myself a less strict diet and did not consider it as 'falling off the wagon'. I ate constantly while on my trip (4 nights/5 days/4 miles), but managed to maintain my weight. When finished, I was thrilled and relieved that I fueled myself properly and happily returned to my typical diet. I have no food sensitivities (of which I am aware).

That being said, and considering your no wheat, no lactose and no bean, there are some ideas I can offer. You need fat, protein and carbs. For snacks, nuts, raisins, jerky, pumpkin seeds, nut butters, dried apples, fresh fruit (for overnight trips), banana chips, larabars (or homemade protein balls/bars). For breakfast, cinnamon quinoa with honey and dried fruit, gluten free oatmeal larabars. For lunches and dinners, foil packed chicken or tuna make great salads, mix the chicken with reconstituted dried apples and walnuts or mix the tuna with reconstituted sundried tomatoes. I put it on a flour tortilla, but you can get gluten free flat bread or wraps. You can also mix the chicken/tuna with instant brown rice and spices, all you'll need to do is boil water. Checkout Freezer Bag Cooking online for great, no mess cooking recipes.
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    \ For breakfast, cinnamon quinoa with honey and dried fruit @cejaibe Do you have a recipe for this? Is it like hot cereal?

• cejaibe
    cejaibe Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options