Frustrated Newbie

Options
mskiman23
mskiman23 Posts: 1 Member
I'm not sure if I'm strength training correctly. I have been working out hard for the last three weeks and have been eating right and added protein into my diet and I stepped on the scale today to see a 5lb increase. I notice more definition in my muscles, but I don't notice any decrease in fat or fit. Is this normal? What is the correct way to strength train to lose weight and get strong? Would love some pointers, advice, recommendations, etc. Thank you.

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    There is no specific, correct way to train and lose weight other than follow a weight lifting program and eat at a deficit. The deficit is what will cause the weight loss. Any fitness, weight training included, can help some but is more for other goals, like getting stronger. Any program geared towards strength will help in that regard though you may see an earlier slow down in the strength increases while eating at a deficit compared to maintenance or above since fuel helps, but you can definitely get stronger while losing weight.

Three weeks isn't very long and have to remember there are a fair number of factors that affect weight. I know some women see a 5 lb increase in just one week during their monthly cycle. Hormones are just one factor as hydration levels, sodium intake and muscle repair can cause slight increases as different times. And I would think if there is more visible muscle definition then that is an indication of fat changes because losing a little body fat will help get that definition.

Some tips in general:

1. Make sure you're able to be as accurate as possible with the calorie intake. Food scales are recommended, especially if you're not having a lot of weight to lose as the margin for error on the smaller deficit is minimal.
    2. Careful on the numbers for exercise. Do need to eat back some of the calories burned from exercise unless following TDEE (as activity is factored in to get the numbers already for that method) but it's not always easy to get accurate numbers.
    3. Give it some more time. Let your body adjust to the activities a little and keep on pushing.
    4. Take other measurements. Measure waist, hips, arms, etc and keep track. I do once a month measuring both know others who do it once a week.
    5. Try to weigh in at the same time of day and with similar conditions (same clothes or lack thereof, etc). I tend to always weigh in the morning but I know some weigh themselves at the gym at night. Long as you are consistent the changes should be noticeable.
    6. Remember weight loss isn't linear. It has ups and downs. It takes time but use that to enjoy the process. Have fun lifting and focus on more than just the numbers on the scale as that will make things easier.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    A real 5-pound gain would have required a surplus of 17,500 calories... if you managed to eat that much extra in three weeks, much respect. :D

You're probably seeing post-workout muscle swelling, what the bros call "swole." Strength training works by causing stress to your muscles; in response, they swell temporarily (retaining more water and other nutrients) while repairing and rebuilding.

If you've just boosted your calories, I'd also suggest reading this classic MFP post.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/993865/why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • cheryl2926
    cheryl2926 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info and support I jumped in to read the ideas!!!
    Good luck newbie... you can do it.