new here

Options
Hello I am Heather and I got sick and was put on prednisone for 3 years and gained 110 pounds . I now have steroid induced diabetes and am off meds and trying to lose and find the me I lost. I am down 27 pounds from my diabetes diagnosis but still have a bunch more to go. I am working with my doctor to get approved for RNY. Hit me up could use the motivation.

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear of your health issues, but it sounds like you are making great progress on your weight so far.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • stormycoop
    stormycoop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had been on steroids also I gained a ton of weight.i was sleeved on 1-13-14 I went from 289 now I'm at 204. I feel a lot better but I'm stuck at this weight now for over six months I fell off the wagon and started going back to my old ways of eating. Since June I got serious and I'm back on track. It's not easy but you'll get there. Please remember not to reward yourself with food like I did when i was losing weight. Find non food rewards that are fun working hard for.
  • rhondasjung
    rhondasjung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Heather, I'm new to this group, too. I had RNY on June 17th. By the time I had my two-week post op check-up, I was told to STOP taking my blood pressure medicine, and to cut my diabetes medicine in HALF! I had only lost 5 pounds after the surgery, but taking into account what I lost during my two-week pre-op liquid diet, I was down 16 pounds and had lost 14% of my excess body weight! For me, it is already a life-saver. I still have a long way to go, and a lot of other meds to hopefully kick, but I already feel so much better! I hope you get your surgery approval. I'll be one of your biggest cheerleaders!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Heather! You've found a terrific community full of supportive people.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Best of luck to you. I had 2 1/2 years of steroids and additional weight gain after losing 80lbs. The set back depressed me and it took another 6 months to stop being mad at myself. Today I am half way to my goal just 3 weeks after RNY 6-15-15. I lost 60lbs pre-op and it made all the difference.

Listen to all of the doctor and nutritionists advice. Follow their guidelines and you will do great.

Welcome!!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    welcome! Once you have your doctor do your "official" preop weigh in for insurance/BMI establishment, get on the wagon. If they have a doctor monitored presurgery program (many do these days), get on it and hit it hard. Every pound you lose before you have the procedure gets you that much closer to goal. It also helps you build the new habits you will be forced into after your surgery.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats for taking the first step at the journey into your life, you found a good bunch of peeps here
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather Welcome I am new here too. 27 down is a good start and you haven't had the surgery yet. I am on a 6 month supervised diet so I will not be having the sleeve until 2016. I sent you a friends request. Hope to see you around the boards.