Need some ideas

Options
chaoticdreams
chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
So my husbands doctor recommended him to be on a 1600 cal/low carb diet to shed a good 100 lbs or more. We started this WOE two weeks ago today and he's already down 22 lbs. I'm really happy for him, but I'm seemingly not having ANY success, at least scale wise. I've lost at most 4 lbs, all the first week, but haven't gone any lower in two weeks. I know women have hormone issues and I've accepted that he'll lose faster than me and 2 lbs a week is actually a healthy rate of loss, but...... Sunday I gained it all back and it hasn't gone away yet. So I'm not even sure I lost it to begin with!

I've been tracking my food elsewhere, but I do track. My meals the last few days have been:

Saturday-
L-pollo loco (grilled chicken breast with cheese sauce and grilled veggie mix)
D-lettuce burger and bun less hot dog
S - deviled eggs

Sunday -
L - lasagna in a mug, (low carb recipe found online)
D - grilled pork chops, cabbage, and stewed squash

Monday -
B - deviled eggs, coffee with two packs splenda and heavy cream
skipped lunch because the eggs filled me up
D - leftovers from Sun

Today-
B- the last of the deviled eggs, coffee with stevia and heavy cream
probably skipping lunch again, yay eggs
D - parmesan crusted chicken tenders with steamed broccoli in butter.

Last weeks menu wasn't much different save for breakfast I normally scramble eggs in coconut oil and have some bacon or sausage with them. I also normally don't skip lunch and have a salad. In the last two weeks my only slips have been some sugar free candy that my DH insisted on getting and one little nibble of a chicken strip at O'Charleys. I only drink one cup of coffee and then only Mon-Fri. The rest of the time it's tea with splenda, Sparkling Ice drink, and water. I could possibly drink more water if I want to be honest, but it's so boring. I did cut out Diet Coke about two months ago due to DH's kidney problems so at least that's one habit gone.

As for him, he's eating sugar free candy, floured chicken strips, and taco salad shells and STILL losing. Of course, I do the cooking so he's not getting those things that often.

Basically my book post boils down to, anything I can tweak maybe? Am I doing this wrong? I've done low carb in the past, Atkins specifically, and always had great success until the holidays hit or personal life crisis's. I've purposefully avoided adding nuts back just yet and am trying not to overdo it on the cheese until I get things right. I started walking in the evenings. I'm thinking about dropping the Splenda to see if maybe it's the culprit despite never affecting me in the past. My clothes are not looser so I don't think it's the whole, you're losing inches thing. I'm just getting really discouraged. There has to be something I'm overlooking.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just looking at this without seeing quantities, the calories look SUPER low... If you don't eat ENOUGH consistently, your metabolism will stall out... Need more info.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I started eating this way in support of my SO whose doctor recommended he do Atkins. He has lost 38 pounds in 7 weeks. I have only lost 10, but I have a lot less to lose than he does. Also, the scale didn't really move much for me in the first 4 weeks. It seemed to go up and down +/- 5 pounds and then I started dropping. Now I have been holding steady again for a few weeks. But I have taken in my belt another notch in that time, so I believe I am still shedding fat.

Don't go by the scale alone, and give it time.
  • chaoticdreams
    Options
    Well, calorie wise, today, even with skipping lunch, I'll have eaten around 1475. I've done the 1200 cal a day thing before with success and 1475 would have freaked me out on CICO. I'm not hungry at the moment, eggs really did fill me up. I had a lot of them LOL. I'm not really counting calories this time, just eating till I'm full and stopping. And normally for lunch I have a huge salad with cheese and chicken on it no dressing, or hot wings. Believe you me, I am not starving myself by any means. Deviled eggs are of the devil for reals!

I'm not giving up. I do feel better. I'm sleeping better, I'm not hot all the time, I have more energy, I'm not craving chocolate all day, and my mood swings have seemed to be less frequent. I should really start measuring, that's not a bad thought. My clothes don't feel looser, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not shedding fat.

• JCWANNABE
    JCWANNABE Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bumping this.

I am really curious to see more advice.

The only thing I can think of is cutting out the splenda. There is some info somewhere about how artificial sweeteners can make you gain weight. Stevia rocks though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Well, calorie wise, today, even with skipping lunch, I'll have eaten around 1475. I've done the 1200 cal a day thing before with success and 1475 would have freaked me out on CICO. I'm not hungry at the moment, eggs really did fill me up. I had a lot of them LOL. I'm not really counting calories this time, just eating till I'm full and stopping. And normally for lunch I have a huge salad with cheese and chicken on it no dressing, or hot wings. Believe you me, I am not starving myself by any means. Deviled eggs are of the devil for reals!

I'm not giving up. I do feel better. I'm sleeping better, I'm not hot all the time, I have more energy, I'm not craving chocolate all day, and my mood swings have seemed to be less frequent. I should really start measuring, that's not a bad thought. My clothes don't feel looser, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not shedding fat.

See, everything you just outlined tells me all those calories are going to repair your metabolism. Think of all the leaps and bounds right there! ^^
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    After the initial burst of water weight, I lost almost nothing on the scale for six weeks, but dropped nearly two clothing sizes during that time. If you are satisfied with your food, just give it some time.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other comments, are you eating enough fat/calories? I would keep calories in mind, but focus more on carb content. One good thing about following a low carb diet is that you don't have to starve, eat the right foods until your full, weight loss should follow:)
  • chaoticdreams
    Options
    I could possibly add some more fat for sure I think. I feel like sometimes I'm eating too much protein. Thanks for the suggestion. I use coconut oil a lot, but having been thinking about changing to pure MCT oil.

And my metabolism is probably shot. Between yo-yoing for years and getting older, I guess I just need to accept that I'm not going to lose weight as easily as I did in my 20's. :neutral:

At least DH has a lot more to lose than I LOL. We might actually get to our goals at the same time despite the hiccups I'm having now.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I could possibly add some more fat for sure I think. I feel like sometimes I'm eating too much protein. Thanks for the suggestion. I use coconut oil a lot, but having been thinking about changing to pure MCT oil.

And my metabolism is probably shot. Between yo-yoing for years and getting older, I guess I just need to accept that I'm not going to lose weight as easily as I did in my 20's. :neutral:

At least DH has a lot more to lose than I LOL. We might actually get to our goals at the same time despite the hiccups I'm having now.

The fact that he has more to lose also helps explain his accelerated rate compared to yours, as we know it's easier to lose at the heavier weights once we get the body going the right direction....

I prefer coconut oil, but I've not used MCT oil, as it is refined FROM coconut and other MCT... Way too much trouble and cost for me. Unless you're way out of your range on protein, I wouldn't necessarily tweak anything just yet. I always tell people to give everything 4-6 weeks before isolating changes (unless of course you find a fab new recipe or something)...