Fuel before endurance exercise?

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
Kind of a cross post as I posted a similar thread in the swimmers group.
I wake up at 4:20AM and am in the pool by 5:05AM and swim a minimum of 6000 yards. Today I pushed it to 4 miles (plus 10 yards, 7050 yards)
I started taking a scoop of Combat protein powder with water right after waking up. So abut 35 to 40 minutes before starting my swim. Too early to tell if this is why I had more energy or desire to push further.
Maybe a 6000 yard swim doesn't qualify as "endurance" but I'm wondering what other folks trying to limit carbs do for fueling up for an endurance workout?
My current goal is to do a 10 mile swim in the pool before the end of summer. Combat powder does have glutamine in it. And I understand glutamine stores get depleted during aerobic work.
I still have energy stored in the form of fat too :)

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Not really doing any endurance-level exercise, but I run about 3 miles totally fasted every other day or so. No problems with energy at that level.

That early in the morning, you're exercising at peak cortisol levels, so your liver is cranking out glucose via GNG, and the added protein is probably acting as substrate for that process. That'd be my guess for the source of energy.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this doesn't really count as endurance, but I do about an hour and 20 minutes every morning during the week of a mix of kickboxing and HIIT (or Circuit Training with spurts depending on the day), and a little bit more on the weekends. When I first started doing lower carb, I thought I was going to pass out during my normal workout for the first week or so. Now, I feel like I'm pretty much back to normal energy levels, and I do all my workouts fasted. So it's probably an individual thing.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Not really doing any endurance-level exercise, but I run about 3 miles totally fasted every other day or so. No problems with energy at that level.

I also run 3 or 4 miles without eating most of the time. Sometimes I drink a shake (almond milk, GNC ISO protein powder and a tablespoon of peanut butter). Energy levels the same either way.

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    You might want to look at The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek. They have some information about this very question. I love the way they write and the fact that both these docs do LCHF themselves.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Also Peter Attia. He even calculates how much carb intake he needs to prevent glycogen depletion.

http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Kind of a cross post as I posted a similar thread in the swimmers group.
    I wake up at 4:20AM and am in the pool by 5:05AM and swim a minimum of 6000 yards. Today I pushed it to 4 miles (plus 10 yards, 7050 yards)
    I started taking a scoop of Combat protein powder with water right after waking up. So abut 35 to 40 minutes before starting my swim. Too early to tell if this is why I had more energy or desire to push further.
    Maybe a 6000 yard swim doesn't qualify as "endurance" but I'm wondering what other folks trying to limit carbs do for fueling up for an endurance workout?
    My current goal is to do a 10 mile swim in the pool before the end of summer. Combat powder does have glutamine in it. And I understand glutamine stores get depleted during aerobic work.
    I still have energy stored in the form of fat too :)

Kudos to you for being able to swim that far to begin with! I don't think I've swam 6000 yards my whole life COMBINED! How long does that take you a day? That is some dedication my friends.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depending on how long and hard I plan my workout to be.

If a normal session 1-2 hours with little sprinting, fasted.

If harder 2-4 hrs, bcaa, creatine mono, maybe a protein shake, mct, CO, and I bring ca 15g of Haribo I chew before the hardest sprints. TKD style. Pork rinds and HB eggs as fuel if very long sessions.

These are just general guidelines for me. If I feel I need something before or during, I do it. Daily condition vary a lot. Sometimes you're so pumped, don't need extras, sometimes you need every bit of «help» to finish WO. Listen to body. Experiment and don't be afraid to try different variations.

I find that the placebo effect of taking something is considerable :p
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you can find on here to "friend" or in the fb group, I believe his name is Don Pendergraf(t) (sp). He does what just about anyone would call endurance running and he's been experimenting with fuel. Might want to look him up. He runs 50+ km or is it miles. Gosh I'm hoping it's 50km, because 50 miles is just super human!

oh and that's his screen name donpendergraft or without the "t" I can't remember.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    ok just found him.

it's donpendergraft.

he's an ultrarunner! sheesh! I'm tired already.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    parkdad73 wrote: »

Kudos to you for being able to swim that far to begin with! I don't think I've swam 6000 yards my whole life COMBINED! How long does that take you a day? That is some dedication my friends.

Takes just under 2 hours to 6000. I have upped it to 4 miles the last couple days.
    I can do any aerobic work that impacts my feet do to arthritis. So swimming works well for me. I've never run a marathon but I have done the equivalent of the Olympic marathon swim, 10km.

• fishgutzy
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    If you can find on here to "friend" or in the fb group, I believe his name is Don Pendergraf(t) (sp). He does what just about anyone would call endurance running and he's been experimenting with fuel. Might want to look him up. He runs 50+ km or is it miles. Gosh I'm hoping it's 50km, because 50 miles is just super human!

oh and that's his screen name donpendergraft or without the "t" I can't remember.
    There is the race across hell in Death Valley that is something like 100 miles. Bike and run races if I recall correctly.
    I'll stick to swimming:) Don't have to feel the sweat.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Great feedback . my current distance swim goal is a 10 mile swim, in a pool not open water. My only 'breaks' are taking a few sips of water with electrolyte replacement every 1500 to 2000 yards. Calf cramps suck so I do this to fend them off.