Just how much does metabolism go to a crawl as we age?

Options
jjdig
jjdig Posts: 45 Member
I started jogging a long time ago, and now that I'm in my 50s, it seems like I MUST get out there and jog or I gain weight. It doesn't seem fair that all those people who got to relax in their 30s and 40s now hit 50 and decide to work out and see results right away because their bodies aren't used to it. If I want to lose weight, I have to have a better strategy. But I still wonder - if it's like this in our 50s -- how much worse does it get at 60? 70? 80? My mom is in her 90s and can eat whatever she wants.............. do I have to wait that long? :)

Replies

• shastar
    shastar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have under active thyroid. It is hard to motivate when I can hop all day and not see any results. But if I don't I guess I will gain. I have at least 20 pounds to lose.
  • WaterlogDog
    WaterlogDog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just joined this group. This is my second go around with MFP. I too have an underactive thyroid. Proper diet and exercise is the only way to get and stay in shape. You have to allow for treats, but if you do, you can't sit for the majority of the day. That's all there is to it. Sadly, lol.
  • wjjeffery99
    wjjeffery99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the underactive thyroid too. I do think my metabolism has slowed alot. I keep thinking about older women I saw or knew when I was a kid and most were slender or same size as when they were younger. I think maybe the processed foods in our diet have some non-food ingredients that disrupt metabolism. I am interested in trying bioidentical hormones if anyone has tried. I have 40 lbs to lose.