How far should I back down?

Options
I've been doing the program by running in place inside. I just finished w4d3, with a full 10 minute run (in place) at the end. I'm ready to move it outside. Which week would you suggest starting with?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    That's a tough call. Running outside is going to be so different. Maybe just try a "fun run" outside to see how you feel first? See how long you can run and judge from that where you need to be? When I had surgery in the middle of my c25k program and was off a couple of weeks, I did w1d1 (too easy) the first day, then w3d1 next time out, w4d1, etc, until I was back on track. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Try week 2, but be ready to go back to week 1 if you think you might benefit
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd go from the start, running in place isn't really the same as running outside.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll do the w1d1, w2d1, etc. to see where I'm at. I did a "fun run" outside a few weeks ago and did great, so I'm not too worried.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    So... tonight was my first time taking it outside. I went back to w1d1. And it was a lot harder than I thought it would be, for sure! I'm thinking I was still too fast, one interval was 10:09/mi (yikes!) and my average pace was 14:40/mi. I'm thinking I should slow it down more, but to what? 17:00? 18:00? Thoughts?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Slow to a speed you could have a conversation with someone, no more or less. To be honest,record the pace for posterity, otherwise ignore it. Your task at the moment is to get time running on your feet, the pace is irrelevant. Focus on the time and being able to talk and you will be fine. Have fun and well done on breaking through another barrier
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Thanks @ftrobbie, I'll have to remember that!!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just took mine outside too!. I was on week 6 on the treadmill and went right back to day one outside. Its a totally different game! I'm struggling with controlling my breathing. I did day 2 last night and felt better but still not great.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Me too, day 2 was a lot easier than the first day. I slowed it waaaaay down to about 18:00, but it felt so much better and was easier. It's hard to run so slow, but I don't care, at least I'm running!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    @kristafb, are you continuing with your w6 on the treadmill? I'm doing my w5 inside and w1 outside on the same days, trying to work on my endurance.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn I was thinking I might but if I run every 2nd day it would take me forever to get it done. lol. I tried running outside one day and inside the next but it was too hard on my joints. I really need the rest day to recuperated. I'm not sure I could do both on the same day, but to be honest I never thought of it. Maybe tomorrow!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Take the programme as written, it is conservative but doable. Gaining a few extra days is not worth the risk IMHO, but it is YOUR implementation of the programme so enjoy whatever you decide to do