2»

Replies

• _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    _Virgo_ wrote: »
    Hydration is super important in all this as well. Along with upping your fat intake it's extremely important to stay well hydrated with water while on this diet. I myself before going Keto was NEVER a big water drinker(or any kind of liquids) really, just never thirsty..or it always made me feel over full. Since starting this WOE I've noticed that has changed so much. I find myself thirsty quite a lot, (most likely due to the sodium intake) and water isn't the big drag it used to be. I've also read stories where people drank diet coke religiously on low carb...so it really depends on your body. Losing weight is probably 80% diet and 20% exercise. I waited until I was doing Keto for about 3 weeks before I began exercise. Didn't want to stress my brain or body out with too many changes at once and end up failing. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose. Try to focus more on your journey and less on theirs. It's hard but it's probably for the best. No two bodies are the same, and us women do have it a bit harder in the losing weight department. Either way gratz on the 3lb loss!! Adjust your diet...make sure your deficit is appropriate for your body and you and you will get there!!

Actually, losing weight is 100% diet. Fitness is about exercise. Exercise can affect your weight loss, but you can burn 1,000 calories a day and if you're still eating 4,000 calories a day, you won't lose weight (unless you're some weird metabolic exception). So losing weight is about what you put in your mouth. You can affect your metabolism and all that, but I don't formally exercise, at all. Just normal activities like grocery shopping and cooking...

Definitely not arguing that what you eat is the most important part of exercising...and if you've done your research and have your macros you'll know that eating 4000 calories and burning 1000 isn't going to get you much of anywhere. lol. (At least not that I'm aware of). Exercise is obviously not necessary but it will expedite the process even if just marginally...not to mention the overall health benefits. So strictly speaking sure exercise isn't absolutely necessary but the benefits are better for ones overall health...and it's my theory if one is going to put the effort into a healthier way of life, might as well eventually go ALL the way. ;-)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    hezrene wrote: »
    My husband, 14 yr old daughter and myself all started low carbing it 3 weeks ago. They are having great results. My husband is down 15 pounds and by daughter is down 8. I'm down 3 pounds and getting super frustrated. Is it possible that it's just not for me? The reason I did it is because I'm a carb-a-holic. Pasta being my biggest downfall. I was also told by many people that giving up soda would make me drop weight fast. I was a Diet Coke addict for around 15 years. Drinking it from the time I woke until the time I went to bed. I haven't had ANY soda for 3 weeks a long with the low carb. Three pounds doesn't sound right :(

I agree with the others, your macros are not set right and your not doing it right. Up the fat. And your calories look kind low.

Too much artificially sweetened things can cause a stall. I'm not saying to eliminate them entirely, but reduce them considerably. I am having difficulty losing consistently lately. So next week I'm going to try eliminating all artificial sweeteners and see what happens. If I start losing again, I'll temporarily stop using them. Then when I get all my weight off, I'll incorporate them back into my diet (as I have already seen I can do maintenance (stall) really well).

Losing weight on this diet can be challenging, but try experimenting, keep reading posts on how others do it and try things for a week or so....

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated!

P.S. I've lost 92ish lbs with 25ish to go.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hezrene, 3 pounds in how many weeks? Take your measurements. I did not lose any weight the first month, but lost inches overall. Remember, inch loss id the true indicator of fat loss, not scale weight. Also, I have to watch my calories and portion sizes and watch dairy intake. HTH
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Hezrene, 3 pounds in how many weeks? Take your measurements. I did not lose any weight the first month, but lost inches overall. Remember, inch loss id the true indicator of fat loss, not scale weight. Also, I have to watch my calories and portion sizes and watch dairy intake. HTH
    My husband, 14 yr old daughter and myself all started low carbing it 3 weeks ago.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Hydration is super important in all this as well. Along with upping your fat intake it's extremely important to stay well hydrated with water while on this diet. I myself before going Keto was NEVER a big water drinker(or any kind of liquids) really, just never thirsty..or it always made me feel over full. Since starting this WOE I've noticed that has changed so much. I find myself thirsty quite a lot, (most likely due to the sodium intake) and water isn't the big drag it used to be. I've also read stories where people drank diet coke religiously on low carb...so it really depends on your body. Losing weight is probably 80% diet and 20% exercise. I waited until I was doing Keto for about 3 weeks before I began exercise. Didn't want to stress my brain or body out with too many changes at once and end up failing. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose. Try to focus more on your journey and less on theirs. It's hard but it's probably for the best. No two bodies are the same, and us women do have it a bit harder in the losing weight department. Either way gratz on the 3lb loss!! Adjust your diet...make sure your deficit is appropriate for your body and you and you will get there!!

Actually, losing weight is 100% diet. Fitness is about exercise. Exercise can affect your weight loss, but you can burn 1,000 calories a day and if you're still eating 4,000 calories a day, you won't lose weight (unless you're some weird metabolic exception). So losing weight is about what you put in your mouth. You can affect your metabolism and all that, but I don't formally exercise, at all. Just normal activities like grocery shopping and cooking...

Definitely not arguing that what you eat is the most important part of exercising...and if you've done your research and have your macros you'll know that eating 4000 calories and burning 1000 isn't going to get you much of anywhere. lol. (At least not that I'm aware of). Exercise is obviously not necessary but it will expedite the process even if just marginally...not to mention the overall health benefits. So strictly speaking sure exercise isn't absolutely necessary but the benefits are better for ones overall health...and it's my theory if one is going to put the effort into a healthier way of life, might as well eventually go ALL the way. ;-)

I intentionally used a ridiculously extreme example in the 4000 calories. I mean, I'm sure I've done that in my heyday, but I was trying to be intentionally over the top. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Someone once told me that if you're exercising to lose weight, you're doing it wrong.

However, I agree that exercise for fitness is critical. And getting moving helps a whole host of factors that impact what you burn and how (think I said that above - if not I thought it and meant to type it...LOL).

Yes, overall health, exercise is crucial, but it is not a requirement for weight loss itself. That's all I meant to point out...

I apologize, as yesterday was something of a one-off mood for me.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Calorie restriction has always just made me want more of the bad stuff. I agree that you are probably aiming much too low. My first attempt at LCHF was for keto keeping my total carbs below 20g/day and I completely bombed and over stressed. I replaced a lot of carb with protein (because I like it) and struggled with my fat numbers.... After a few months, I am trying this again but starting slowly. I have a few learned tricks now and while my carbs are set at 80g, I typically end the day between 35-50 and fat is almost always over.

The people here are pretty experienced and have a lot of great info, but you also have to figure out what works best for you and do your utmost not to compare. It's your body, your metabolism and your decisions.

Don't give up, just keep tweaking until it feels good!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Oh... my two bits on exercise.... I think movement in any form is great if you can. I seize up like a rusty chain if I don't get out and walk etc. but I don't log my exercise into MFP. Those calorie burned numbers don't seem all that accurate, but more importantly I get a false sense of ability to eat more when I see all those extra available calories. So I just don't add it and stick to my daily goals best I can!!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The physical improvements that I have had far outweigh what the scale says! The decrease in pain levels and increased energy with ability to perform tasks or chores without bad flare ups in pain matters more to me. Hang in there! Three pounds is a great start! There has been some great advice on this thread! :smile:
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    According to the Keto Calculator my carbs should be at 35g, protein at 81g and fat at 70g. My profile says 11 pounds lost, but that is with a start weight from 2 years ago (I don't know how to change my current start weight). I hate water, so I drink a lot of crystal light and I usually have 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Exercise is my downfall. I despise sweating....lol. I haven't found one form of exercise that I like. I know that is something I just need to get over, suck it up and do it. If I can give up diet coke then I can learn to like exercise?!?
    I'm not even close to my goal weight. I started at 246 and am at 243 right now.

I don't like the water we have here. But I slice up a lemon or lime or drop a strawberry or 3 into the pitcher, and that helps. As for exercise, wait a while. I hated exercise, but after losing 20 pounds--it's not too bad. Actually joined a gym and go 3-5 times/wk. Who'da g thunk!!

Unfortunately, patience is key. We're talking lifelong lifestyle change here. You have time. And more of it as you progress with this Way Of Eating. Welcome aboard!