Pierogi Time

Options
galabrielle98
galabrielle98 Posts: 507 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Pierogi are little Dumplings stuffed with whatever filling you like. This recipe is for what are traditionally called "Ruskie pierogi." They are stuffed with cheese, potatoes, and onions. I made 80 pierogi.

Ingredients

5 1/2 cups of white flour
2 cups of 1% milk, warm
1 egg
2 onions, chopped
5 medium sized potatoes
2 tbsp butter
1 lb farmers cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Filling
Peel and cut the potatoes. Boil until tender and set aside. Fry chopped onions in the butter and set aside as well.
Combine cooled potatoes, onions, and the farmers cheese and mix until just combined, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Dough
Combine flour, milk, and egg and mix well until a dough forms. Roll out the dough and cut into the little circles ( I use a plain drinking glass for this.)
Fill each little circle with some filling and press to seal.

To cook, simply boil some salted water and cook the pierogi until they float up (kinda like ravioli.)

I know 80 is a lot so I just freeze whatever I don't use for a quick dinner later.

Each pierog has:
50 calories
1.1 g fat
5.5 mg cholesterol
60.8 mg sodium
7.3 g carbs
2.4 g protein
0.5 g sugar

Hope you guys enjoy!

Replies

• pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My family's pierogi dough recipe uses water rather than flour, but I think we go a bit heavier on the eggs (the recipe measures flour by the pound rather than the cup - we make pierogis in bulk when we make them :smile: ). And we use American cheese rather than farmer's cheese and mash the cheese, onion, and potatoes together while they're hot so the cheese melts and mixes throughout. And, of course, after boiling, they get sauteed in a pan with butter and onion.
  • galabrielle98
    galabrielle98 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My family never makes just 80 either. We have specific days for making them and we make 200+ :) . Fried pierogi are THE best.