Where to start?

Options
jesterkazuzi
jesterkazuzi Posts: 20 Member
Hi all :)
I am new to this diet and completely out of my depth. I am used to high protein diet as I am bodybuilding but I wanted to try something different. After two years of low fat high protein and moderate carbs I am struggling to adapt to this diet. I am always over with my protein around 10-20grams as well as carbs and low on fat by around 18grams remaining. So I was hoping nay of you have some ideas how to manage it better? This is what I used to start me on: http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-to-calculate-macros-for-cutting/
Thank you :)

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Here is a good site to calculate your macros: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Being over on protein isn't a large problem unless you're more than double your goal. unless you're super sensitive to it, which since you're a heavy lifter, I doubt that is the case.

As for advice, my only general tips are: eat your fats first. Add butter to things if you can't come up with other ideas.

Treat carbs as a hard limit.

Protein should be a somewhat flexible range.

Fat should fill in the remainder of the diet - eat to satiety, not to fullness.

You will have to cut back on your physical program during the first 2-3 weeks while your body adapts to using fat to fuel your muscles instead of carbs. You will get some muscle fatigue and be wiped out if you attempt to continue your current program. Once your body adapts, you will have some small setbacks at first, then you will have the ability to reach new bests.

Make sure to get plenty of water (carbs retain water to process themselves). During the adaption process, focus on getting sodium to maintain your electrolytes (general recommendation is 4500 mg as a minimum because with carbs no longer retaining water, your body will be perpetually dumping things to get those balanced, so you need a steady influx)... Potassium and magnesium may need to be supplemented if you don't get enough sodium, as those dump secondary, again to maintain balance.

Don't limit calories while you are adapting to lower carbs. This is where most people fail...
  • jesterkazuzi
    jesterkazuzi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I feel somehow better that it is not such a big deal. It's just seem that all I am eating has some sort of carbs in it hahaha how long have you been on this diet if I can ask?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I went low carb on 1/15/15, and keto on 2/18/15.

Protein excess worries surround the conversion of protein to glucose, but your needs have to be high or outlying conditions for this. I'd recommend using a calculator to determine your needs.

Try: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ (which is exactly what was linked above, duh...LOL).

I know folks who are full carnivore, as we call it. Only non-meats are butter and eggs type of situation, and they don't OD on protein, so it's all about YOU and your body.

Give us an example of what you're eating now that is some carbs, or the foods you worry about specifically, and we'll hand on ideas.