Nutrition and Exercise for Endomorphs

MarieGMcG
MarieGMcG Posts: 10 Member
I have just recently come to realize that different body types have different characteristics and should approach weight loss differently. I am definitely an endomorph and am loving this new way of eating / exercising. So much of it makes sense to what I have come to realize of myself over the years. So I am going to embrace my body type and work with it, not against it! Here is a piece on how an endomorph should eat and exercise...

Along with carefully monitoring their fat intake, endomorphs should combine an intense cardio regime along with a moderate weight-training program to see maximum results for their efforts. Endomorphs should avoid crash dieting. This will only slow down – your already sluggish – metabolism further and make your body cling to its fat reserves harder.

Though metabolic rate may be determined by genetics, through training and nutrition, endomorphs can speed things up. Catch is: Food is not consumed according to how you feel, but what works best for you. No cheating allowed. Training is not negotiable. You must do it regularly and frequently, whether you feel like it or not. For the endomorph to achieve their dream body, they must follow their program with military precision. Endomorphs tend to do well on low-carb diets as many endomorphs are carbohydrate sensitive. No junk foods. No vegging out. This means you have to find a way to adopt these changes and turn it into a lifestyle that suits you that you can maintain and enjoy. You’d better learn to enjoy it, if you want to achieve and keep that lean body!

Replies

• MarieGMcG
    An piece on how an endomorph should eat...

Endomorphs have a larger bone structure with higher amounts of total body mass and fat mass. Football lineman and powerlifters are frequently endomorphs. They tend to be naturally less active. Where the ectomorphs tend to burn off excess calories with near constant movement, excess calories in endomorphs do not seem to cause that same increase in expenditure. This means that excess calories are more likely to be stored as fat. This profile leads to a greater propensity for energy storage, including both lean mass and fat mass. This can also mean a lower carbohydrate tolerance.

Endomorphs typically do best on a higher fat and protein intake with carbohydrate intake being controlled and properly timed (e.g., after exercise). So that’s what we recommend: more fat and protein, less carbohydrate.

A nutrient distribution for this body type might be around 25% carbs, 35% protein, and 40% fat. Again, no math gymnastics. Just think higher fats and protein, lower carbs.
  • MarieGMcG
    Another piece on eating as an endomorph...

Endomorph men begin by eating:

•2 palms of protein dense foods at each meal;
    •2 fists of vegetables at each meal;
    •1 cupped handful of carb dense foods at each meal;
    •3 thumbs of fat dense foods at each meal.

Portions for endomorph men.Endomorph women begin by eating:

•1 palm of protein dense foods at each meal;
    •1 fist of vegetables at each meal;
    •0.5 cupped handful of carb dense foods at each meal;
    •2 thumbs of fat dense foods at each meal.

Portions for endomorph women.(For more on this hand-size portion idea, including photo examples, check out our calorie control guide for men and women by clicking here.)

In general, we encourage individuals to experiment with different nutritional strategies until they find what works for them. And this is certainly one way to go about doing things.

Still, if seemingly endless trial and error with food intake doesn’t sound like an enjoyable way to spend your weekends, then identifying your body type and eating the appropriate distribution of nutrients might be a smart place to begin.

What you should know about eating for your body type
    Regardless of your body type, body composition, or overall health status, your ability to handle carbohydrate-dense foods is greatly improved the more active you are.

This means that the best time to eat a majority of those starchy (or, less ideally, sugary) foods is when you’re most physically active. Depending on your body type, your carb tolerance and needs are different and your strategy should be different to match.
  • MarieGMcG
    A piece on exercising as an endomorph...

Endomorphs: Built for strength
    Endomorphs (think Jennifer Lopez) have curves, generally shorter arms and a larger chest cavity. Sometimes they shy away from weightlifting for fear of bulking up, but the fact is that no woman ever got too muscular by accident. Endomorphs have great strength, and they should use it.

Strengths
    Endomorphs can handle heavy weights and going hard with the resistance training. Like ectomorphs and running, being good at such an activity builds positive reinforcement and allows them to develop a love for physical activity that can keep them healthy for a lifetime. What’s more, building up their muscles and bones creates a tougher body that can handle aerobic training.

A good idea for an endomorph’s lifting program is to make it fast-paced to help them adapt more in areas where they’re weak, like cardiovascular endurance. Things like circuit training, short rest breaks between sets and supersets.

Areas to work on
    Aerobic activity can be the bane of the endomorph, because they’re not inherently good at it, which is all the more reason to do it. If weight loss is the goal, then aerobic activity is the way to go, not just from a calorie-burning perspective, but from an appetite control one too.

If running, endomorphs need to watch their speed. Walking can be a good way to start, with a slow transition to running. They may also find cycling or swimming to be more enjoyable because it’s less pounding on their joints.

Nutritional considerations
    Endomorphs need to be careful with their caloric intake, as they’re prone to gain fat. Focusing on a higher vegetable intake and staying away from processed foods can help keep calories down and allow for weight loss.
  • MarieGMcG
    So, are you an endomorph? I certainly am! What are you doing right now? My coach has me on a 40P/35C/25F to keep my carbs high enough to substantiate my higher weight and doing intense exercise. The carbs will come down as I lose. I am getting in all of my protein and fat (even over on the fat) but am struggling to keep the carbs that high since I am trying not to eat too many carbs. And I LOVE lifting weights! I am doing classes now that combine cardio and weights but I am considering adding a weight training regime to my plan. :)
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    I joined this group because I truly believe I'm an endomorph. I've always had broad shoulders and big arms with the belly to match (not so happy about the last part). I tend to naturally eat fairly low carb. If I don't force myself to eat carbs I'd land about 200-225 grams/day with the periodic dorito binge.

When I joined I planned to read all of these post to get caught up on the group and learn more about my people!

Well the procrastination bug bit me and I'm just getting around to reading everything. Thank you so much for posting this information. I don't plan to be the spark to ignites this group, but I would like to friend you and keep up with how you manage being a healthy endomorph.

Thanks again.