Food Processors

Options
2»

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart Food processor, a Vitamix, an immersion blender, and something else. To be honest, I mostly use the immersion blender and do everything else by hand because I'm too lazy to clean all the components. *sigh*
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'd rather chop by hand than clean a food processor, I have a good one in the cupboard that I hardly ever use as it's such a hassle to get out, use, clean, dry, put back together and put away. Knife, chopping board, simple. Same reason my dishwasher hasn't been used in 2 years. You have to scrape the plates, it takes an hour to wash the dishes and then you have to remember to unload it (not to mention if you don't the kids put dirty dishes in with the clean ones and you have to wash them all over again). Takes me less than 5 minutes to do the dishes by hand. Technology does not always make life easier.

That's me. Not to mention there is something zen about the chopping and slicing motions. Plus I dropped my FP and broke it about 2 years ago and can't find a good one to replace it with. :smile:
    I do not own a dishwasher but the last time I had one it did not wash very well, so it became a huge drying rack for the hand-washed dishes!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I used to have a small, cheap food processer but tossed it because it was useful.

LOL! I don't think that's what you meant!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I used to have a small, cheap food processer but tossed it because it was useful.

LOL! I don't think that's what you meant!

Nope lol! It was useless!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I have a food processor or two. I have a lot of kitchen gadgets actually. I don't use 90% of them. One of these days, I will be brave and get rid of all the stuff I don't use anymore.

Honestly, do I really need 5 different ways to make coffee.

OK, that's a yes. But, the waffle-maker can safely go.

If you walked into my kitchen, you would think all we do is drink coffee all day. On our teeny tiny counter tops, we have three different coffee makers. I can't bear to part with (or even put away) any of them.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I don't have a food processor, but I was just thinking of asking this same question, because I need one. :)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    There's so many different types and functions. If I were you, I'd think about what you typically would use it for.

I have had several types and price ranges. In general you pay for the quality on blades and the connecting parts...up to a certain range.

A small immersion type from Braun does most smalljobs. Chopping nuts, grinding flax, making ice cream mix, smoothing soups, etc.

Cheap small blenders can only make smoothies. Anything else burns the plastic. Pricier models can crush ice too. I loved my Hamilton Beach.

Bigger processors. I only use when need to grate lots of vegs for making kimchi. And blending the kimchi sauce.

In every day cooking, just chopping manually often takes shorter time, than assembling the machine, then all the proper cleanup. Good knife skills are always a good thing anyway.

The only thing I can think of that a BIG machine would do for me, is when making big batches of meatballs. A double batch with 2 packets of ground meat is still manageable with muscling it around. And I'm not baking anymore... Oh, forgot...possibly it's the tool needed if I wanna start make nut butters. At the price I'm paying for a jar of almond butter, it's probably worth making my own...soon!

If you have a big family with kids, I think a big processor are more worth it.

Then there's the luxury semi pro tools with heat and whatnot.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a food processor, and I use it often. Most recently, I've started ricing cauliflower with it. Takes two seconds. I also use it to shred cooked meats (cooked chicken for salads, cooked Italian sausage for pizza or lasagna, cooked beef for tacos, etc.- I like the taste better than buying pre-ground meat). Also for chopping onion too, since I'm very sensitive to those. Gets it all done at once.

I'd really like to upgrade to a Ninja, though. Then I can get rid of my two blenders.

I also have an immersion blender that I use as much as the food processor, and a magic bullet that I use for protein smoothies. I guess I'm a gadget girl.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mom says she'll buy me a big one when I get married and a stand mixer when my first child is born, as is tradition.

tumblr_m551yrTqbU1r4gei2o4_400.gif
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I bought a Hamilton Beach 10 Cup and I love it already. Just sliced up some celery and onion in like 2 seconds that would have taken me 10 minutes before. I love love love it.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love using food processors. I had a slightly older Kitchen aid and it was my favorite. The newer Kitchen aid is fine but just not as strong of a motor. I make dog food (protein plus sprouts or fermented veggies) . I love raw,mashed cauliflower but rarely make it since I have hypothyroidism. Recipe-- Process about half a head of cauliflower with S blade. Scrape edges with spatula and process again until fine consistency. Press a few cloves of garlic into cauliflower. Add olive oil and organic non soy MisO. Process until mixed. Hellagood IMO.

When I was doing raw vegan walnut cookies rocked it. Recipe --walnuts, coconut oil, vanilla extract, pitted medjool dates, sea salt. Throw it all in and process, scrape sides, process again.. Press into round cookies wonderments. For LC just substitute LC sweet for the dates.

I also have a Vitamix which is the most used appliance in my kitchen. It is a very powerful blender and can do any kind of smoothie, nut milks or whatever else. Last yummy thing I made was choc milk with HWC, cocoa powder and Stevia. That was sooo decadent!
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh didn't answer all your questions! The size FP I have is an 8 cup with a large chute. Already learned the lesson about getting too small of a chute which to me is a major waste of time if you have to cut the ingredients into small chunks. You might as well just finish the job with the knife.

I throw the parts right in the DW it takes about 30 seconds to scrub with dish brush and load and 10 seconds to unload and reassemble. I almost always use the S blade. The special cutting blades like shredders and slicers take a few more seconds to assemble. Super fast actually!
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a kitchen aid full sized blender, and a small sized kitchen aid processor. I use them so much I have them on the kitchen counter at all times. I also have a kitchen aid immersion blender which I like but hardly ever use.

I use the big blender for soups, smoothies, and crushing ice. I use the little processor for pesto, nut butters, chopping onions, guacamole, mashed cauliflour, chopping verges really tiny for omelets, and salad dressings or mayonnaise. It has a little section on to lid where you can drizzle oil into the processor while it's working to get pesto, salad dressings, mayonnaise and nut butters to the exact consistency you want. It's fabulous.

I only cook for me because I'm recently separated, so the little food processor makes the perfect amount for one person. If you have a family you'll need a bigger one. I don't think I would buy anything except kitchen aid now. It's the best I've ever had with great quality parts.

Before my kitchen aid appliances I had appliances which were harder to clean so I never used them. With my kitchen aid stuff I clean it straight away by just washing it under the tap and using a clean cloth if necessary. Then air dry. So simple!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have one of these. philips.com.au/c-p/HR7782_00/jamie-oliver-food-processor Use it all the time.

It's powerful. It's fast. I have a family of four and it's a great size.

Cheesecakes
    Grating cheese (pre packaged grated cheese had added flour so it doesn't stick together)
    Mincing meats (beef, chicken, pork)
    Whipping cream
    Making cake (I bake for school fund raising.)
    Ricing cauliflower
    Grinding almonds
    Making seed or nut butters
    Slicing pepperoni/salami

I have an immersion blender I never use. I have a hand held beater I never use. I have a blender the kids use to make banana smoothies. I have a juice I never use anymore. I had a bread maker I never use anymore. (I really must clean out the kitchen cupboards.)
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i have a kenwood and while it works well with easy stuff it's now come to a point that i need more power, for example, coconut butter, cashew butter, tahini, making almond flour and coconut flour, frozen berries and yogurt ice pops..... there's a thousand things to do but it needs to be powerful, the problem is that they cost a lot of money so until the motor burns i'll have to stick with the current one, do yourself a favor and buy something good from the start with a generous capacity so you don't have to do things in batches.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Gosh I have a cheepie but I use it for everything. I grind meats ,cheese, and veggies.I mix breads, muffins, and make my own butter from cream. My microwave and food processor are the two kitchen gadgets I can't live without.