Best time to run

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
When do you do your run? Morning or evening?
I've done both. And I think the 530am run works better for me than after work! The only problem I have with running that early is I think I'm a little dehydrated and feel so thirsty. I feel like if I drink a bunch before I run I may throw it up!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Drink enough through the day before and you shouldn't be thirsty.

I run after work before tea, it's the most convenient time for me on weekdays.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Mornings, have some tea (caffeine) to wake up, then out and about. Runs after work do not work for me, too tired ,family chores, etc. Straight after a nights sleep best time for me
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It depends, midweeks tend to be evening, weekends tend to be forenoon. The weekends are also my longer runs, hence being a bit more practical in the forenoon.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I like 5:30 am. I think I have better weight loss results when I workout in the mornings. I've done evenings too and they weren't so bad if I go straight from work. Otherwise life gets in the way and I'm most likely not to go. Although I haven't had the thirsty feeling, some mornings I wake up starving. When thus happens I will eat something really small such as half banana or a few crackers. I can't workout right after I eat.
  • frankie5152
    frankie5152 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I work midnight shift 10pm to 630am so i have been going out after work the air is still cool and dont have to worry about the little blood suckers lol
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Most of my runs are done in the afternoon/evening as that works better for me. I'd like to do them in the morning, but I just can't get out of bed early enough to do a 2hr run, shower etc and be at work for 6:30.

I've been doing a different program this week just gone and they are all morning runs, which I haven't minded, but it just doesn't work for me in the overall view of things.
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I run in the evening. Works better for me. I'm not a morning person. So getting up early and running then shower and get ready for work just doesn't work for me. When I run in the evening it also seems to help me sleep better. I also have restless legs syndrome and after my run in the evening my legs don't bother me as much.
  • rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either - I've found that going for a walk or a run a couple hours after dinner works well for me. I also shower at night, so being able to shower right afterwards is super convenient.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I love running at the dusk, around 9pm. Sometimes I do mornings, but this is usually for short runs, no more than 45 minutes. And it's not only because I love my morning sleep too much, but it feels easier to run in the evenings too :)
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been running in the morning and it's been great. But my work schedule has me getting in at 6AM now so I'm thinking of transitioning to evening runs. My question is, when do I eat dinner?? I usually get home around 6PM and I'm pretty hungry by then.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    @JSC145 that's a great question. I get home around 4. If I plan to workout in the evening I'll eat a mid afternoon snack and hit the gym before 5. I'm usually hungry around 5:30. Depending on how light I eat I can workout around 7. This hasn't been working for me lately.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    I've been running in the morning and it's been great. But my work schedule has me getting in at 6AM now so I'm thinking of transitioning to evening runs. My question is, when do I eat dinner?? I usually get home around 6PM and I'm pretty hungry by then.

What's more important to you, running or refuelling? Unless it's light (for me protein bar or bagel), I have to wait 2 to 3 hours to have a good training session. For me runs and refuelling are done in this order;

morning,
    evening as soon as I get in then dinner,
    dinner as soon as I get in and then run at 2100.

You know what you are likely to eat and how you react to a full(?) stomach. Best wishes on finding a solution that works for you. I know I have to be highly motivated to go out at 2100.

• sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We run in the late evening. It's too humid here in the mornings (usually around 99%), so just before or even after dark works better. Usually it's dinner around 6 and run around 9pm or so.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »

I would usually eat after training. If I'm going out at 1900 I'll have a piece of fruit or something at about 1600, or just go out fasted having eaten lunch about 1200.