Anyone have a link to a reverse TDEE calculator? Or a formula in their brain?

Options
minties82
minties82 Posts: 907 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I'm not good with math. I'm trying to figure out an average TDEE for myself based on actual energy intake and kg lost. I am sure I am calculating it incorrectly though as I get a number that sounds too large. It doesn't help that I work in kilojoules for intake and kilograms for outgoing I suppose!

I found a google doc but it is read only.

over a 7 day period:
I ate 6541kj per day (45,789 over the week)
I lost 157.14g per day (1,100g over the week)

A kilogram loss is meant to represent a deficit of 37,000kj.

If someone who's brain is actually working today could help me out that'd be cool. The kids won't leave me alone and I can't think! I am trying to see how exercise and macros are influencing my losses etc.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It would be 1.1 * 37000 / 7 + 6541 (weight lost * energy per unit of weight / time period + average energy consumed during time period)

Edit: I get 12,355 kj/day from this (which is about 2,950 kcal/day). That seems pretty high, but not insanely so. There's more problems with this than you want to know though. You need a LOT of data (talking months). On top of that, 1 kg isn't really 37,000 kj. It might be more than that or less than that. That's an assumption. It's not even a good one, it's probably much too high. That's almost 9000 calories per kg... a better assumption is 7700 calories or 31,400 kj. Even that is a really rough assumption, and doesn't mean much for this calculation.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I see what you are saying there, thanks so much. That is is how I was calculating but thought it sounded too much. I suppose every day and week requires different energy needs though as some weeks are half that loss. Cool bananas as my son says.

I get in kcal that the average daily TDEE was 2,953 which sounds ridiculous for a 4'11" 32 year old female. I did jog very short distances and did a couple of weightlifting sessions but that's about it. However I think I ate more fat...will have to check.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You might want to look at this: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/06/the-calorie-theory-prove-it-or-lose-it/

It's where someone investigates the actual science behind the 3,500 kcal = 1 pound of body fat statement. There's no real science behind it, and the actual number returned from tests are wildly variable.

Note: using the 3,500 kcal per pound, I get a TDEE of 11,475 kj/day for you... around 2,740 kcal/day.

Anyway, this is always going to be a real rough estimate. None of these numbers actually mean anything. What matters is long term progress towards your goal. Are you going in the right direction? Are you going at a rate you can live with? Then don't change anything. If it's a little slow, you might want to try lowering intake or carbs, and see if it improves.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think it's like this:

1.1 kg lost-deficit of 40700 kj for the week->40700/7=5814.28571429 average daily kj deficit

6541kj(average daily intake)+5814kj (average deficit)=12355.2857143 kj (average tdee)

Thats about 2952 calories as a TDEE for all of us who work in that unit.

Your stats would be helpful, but that doesn't sound out of bounds at all to me.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It's where someone investigates the actual science behind the 3,500 kcal = 1 pound of body fat statement. There's no real science behind it, and the actual number returned from tests are wildly variable.

It doesn't take much science. It's just a statement of the caloric content of fat. Body fat = 87% lipids. lipids ~= 9 calories / gram. 1 lb = 454 grams, so that's 395 g of fat ~= 3500 calories.