Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bullet Proof Coffee

shrinkinmama27
shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
I have been having a cup of bullet proof coffee every morning for breakfast! So tasty and it helps me get all my fats in for the day!!! I'm finding though that I'm full off of just that. Do you think I should be adding any foods to my morning coffee? Or are the 220 calories just from fats ok?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I only add food to my morning intake if I'm hungry. Of course, my loaded tea is double or more calories than yours... Today, it ended up being 28 oz and likely about 600 calories (haven't counted it up in a while), but I'm not hungry. At all. Everyone is different. If you're good to go until lunch (or further), go with what works!

If you use the original formula (just coconut/MCT oil and grassfed butter), it will continue the overnight fast and burn more of your own fats anyway...
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I don't add food unless I'm very hungry. I don't worry about eating solid food until lunch at least.
  • shrinkinmama27
    shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I only add food to my morning intake if I'm hungry. Of course, my loaded tea is double or more calories than yours... Today, it ended up being 28 oz and likely about 600 calories (haven't counted it up in a while), but I'm not hungry. At all. Everyone is different. If you're good to go until lunch (or further), go with what works!

If you use the original formula (just coconut/MCT oil and grassfed butter), it will continue the overnight fast and burn more of your own fats anyway...

Thanks! I do the original with a little added cinnamon! SOOOO good!

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    I have started having only BPC for breakfast. I make a 3-4 cup pot of coffee and add 1 tablespoon of grass fed butter and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. I drink it on my 6am commute and don't eat anything else until noon. I do experience a little hunger mid-morning, but I push through by drinking more water (BPC makes me so thirsty!).

I'm also trying to figure out a way to make more BPC at work to help me out if I'm more hungry than usual. We keep the coffee pot going all morning, but having just discovered how much more amazing BPC is when it's properly blended, I'm not really willing to just stir the butter and coconut oil in like I used to, as it separates and is not enjoyable that way in my opinion.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    My problem with replacing meals with BPC is that I then have trouble getting enough protein.... but @KnitOrMiss makes primal loaded tea (which could also be done with coffee) that includes eggs, so there's that. :)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    edited July 2015
    I put unflavoured gelatin and 1-2 tablespoons of hemp hearts in my morning coffee. It's pretty awesome and gives that little bit of protein boost I need in the morning.
    Some people put egg in it, too, like @KnitOrMiss .

-T.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have been having a cup of bullet proof coffee every morning for breakfast! So tasty and it helps me get all my fats in for the day!!! I'm finding though that I'm full off of just that. Do you think I should be adding any foods to my morning coffee? Or are the 220 calories just from fats ok?

I dont add anything if im not particularly hungry. Its best to add nothing but your fats, as this effectively keeps you in a fasted state, continuing your overnight fast whilst youve been sleeping. If you can go until lunch (or longer) on just a BPC, you have completed an IF (Intermittent Fast), which is purported to have metabolism enhancing, fat burning, insulin lowering benefits, along with a host of other health benefits.

As soon as you add any protein or carbs along with your BPC you have ended your fast.

If i was especially hungry i was adding a raw egg or 2 to my BPC & forgot about IFing, but im now aiming for straight BPC for breakfast (Double Espresso coffee, 1 tbsp Kerrygold butter, 1 tbsp MCT Oil/Coconut Oil, pinch of pure vanilla bean powder, pinch of good quality cinnamon, 3 drops sucralose liquid) and waiting it out until lunch. If im still hungry i can then have my eggs or whatever, but lately ive found that the initial hunger subsides and by lunchtime i realise i can easily go until dinner without anything else..... IF im busy. My less active and less busy days, around the house, are my Kryptonite. If im bored or not distracted all i can think about is food, and i struggle more. Those days i pretty much always have to eat a bit of lunch after my BPC at breakfast, and im counting the minutes until i can eat all morning! Busyness is Bulletproof!

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I generally don't eat breakfast unless I think I may have skip lunch. Then I'll force something down. But, I have a cup or 2 of bpc depending on time mostly, and I think it's pretty common for ketoers to skip a meal each day. I wouldn't think it's a problem.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    @CoconuttyMummy I've been having mine with butter, coconut oil and some double (heavy) cream - will this keep me in a fasted state or is the cream too much?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    @CoconuttyMummy and @UMDavies consuming only calories from fat does limit the insulin response, but there are other schools of thought regarding what benefits of the fasted state that preserves. The calories still need to be processed.