Questions without Answers

Options
13»

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    OK, here's one related to the last question. Everybody knows you lose water weight in the first week of a low-carb diet, right? Everybody says it's due to glycogen depletion. The liver can store about 120g of glycogen. Each gram of glycogen is associated with 3g of water, so that's less than 500g assuming total depletion (which doesn't happen, BTW).

That's like 1 lb! Yet everybody loses more than that. Where's all the water come from?

(Hint: it's mostly due to lost sodium!)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have hunger but it is a different kind of hunger, and I can go longer without feeling hunger. First, I'll qualify it by saying I'm not at 20g or below. I range between 40-75g most days.

Before doing LCHF, I HAD to eat regularly or I would get hypoglycemic symptoms. If I went too long without eating, I would start feeling very irritable, dull, couldn't think straight, get weak, shakey, hot, cold, nauseous. Once in awhile I would become unable to function to even get something to eat. Never diagnosed with any sort of diabetes or pre-diabetes. My SO used to say I was like two different people. As soon as I ate, I would perk up and become like a real person again. Also, if I did not eat carbs with every meal, I would keep feeling hungry until I did eat some. Like if I just had bacon and eggs with no toast, I would be still starving after I ate.

Now, yes, I do get hungry if I go a long time without eating, but I don't get those symptoms any more, I can still function. The feeling in my stomach is not severe, and I get full without the high carbs I used to need.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Osmosis???

Tx wabester. ditto -"setting both my carb and calorie levels for the maintenance level I'll need for the future skinnier me." I was just wondering if the reason why I'm hitting a plateau after 85 days is because I started too low with cals/carbs. I don't think so and I will just wait it out for another week. Then I'll recalculate if nothing happens. It worked so far. :)

I do read articles that are written by a lay person with a grain of salt. (see, what I did there? LOL.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I've got one. What is the neagtive aspects of being keto long term? I'm wondering about 10-20 years from now.... if I'm still doing it.

Check out Dr. Bernstein's blog and books -- he has been doing lchf since the early 1970s. He is type 1 diabetic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein#Biography

Thanks!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yet another question: most, if not all of the study data I've read about comparing LCHF to other diets involved obese subjects. Do you know of studies specific to merely overweight folks?

Great thread, @wabmester!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There's a good spreadsheet of several LC vs LF studies here:
    http://smashthefat.com/science/

You can download the spreadsheet and search for "overweight" to see a few studies specifically looking at overweight subjects. If you have trouble, let me know, and I'll try to summarize them here.

This also reinforces the first study in this thread. LC subjects pretty consistently lose more weight than LF subjects, even at the same or higher calorie levels.

BTW, there is an interesting follow-up to the famous A-Z study. They sorted the subjects by insulin resistance. IIRC, LC and LF diets were pretty equally effective for the insulin sensitive, but LC was much more effective for insulin resistant subjects.

So insulin appears to be the key.