Chatr and Accountability (rest of July)

Replies

• heronh wrote: »

Jen, what do you mean "old bones" osteoporosis? Sometimes we need buckets of cold water to wake up. It's great that you are aware of it. Now it's time to change things up :) I know it's hard to people and especially women. But we need to learn to love ourselves at any weight, and not be so down on ourselves. Because if we don't love ourselves now as we are, there is no guarantee that we will when we lose.

heron, the office said there were signs of osteopenia, not osteoporosis. So I'll be talking to my primary doc soon to figure out what's up with that.

• AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    [/quote]

heron, the office said there were signs of osteopenia, not osteoporosis. So I'll be talking to my primary doc soon to figure out what's up with that.

[/quote]

Jen! Weight bearing exercises! I know Hmr posted an article to the FB group about how weight based exercise is for EVERYONE and things like osteoporosis/osteopenia are why :smile:

Its like reunion week up in here! (And I'm that awkward kid who was new to the school in grade 11 and doesn't quite know some ppl who moved away bf I came! LOL) And John thought we'd only need one thread :smiley:

So as some ppl have noticed I have actually been doing exercise!!!! What spurred it was being very upset with my husband two Sundays ago. I needed to feel something other than upset. And magically after my walk and jog I was more able to talk after... But the kickstarter had done its job! So while diet is not at all where it will need to be I've chosen this to make my habit
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Happy Thursday Folks. Hope all is well with all of you.

Heron - Color does make a difference. Clorofil is the stuff that makes vegetation green. Green is a color that provides a safety/calming/comfort signal to our body. Red is equates with heightened awareness, and arousal. So the question being is if the things that were good for us were suddenly Red how would that make you FEEL? Not what does the research say, but if you spend some moments imagining it, how do You feel?

Jen- would be interested in what the Docs say, Sarco and osteo penia are two of the things we battle in the Nursing Home units every day. Get control of it early and Quality of life is exponentially better later. Purple is fine if you want to go there.

Angela - Good O Lass Keep it up!

Carol - Good work on recruiting Craig. Mo' is betta. I especially want to thank you for the 1000 in ten day challenge, I have kept doing my Body Weight squats in the morning (at least 1200) it has become the best 3 or 4 mins of my day. (That may actually be a sad commentary on my life but...) It's a good thing you've done. It really doesn't have to be complicated folks, that 3-4 min burst first thing, provides a far reaching benefit if you do it daily. Pick something simple and just DO. "There is no try, just do or not do." -Yoda

• Hmrjmr1 wrote: »
    Happy Thursday Folks. Hope all is well with all of you.

Jen- would be interested in what the Docs say, Sarco and osteo penia are two of the things we battle in the Nursing Home units every day. Get control of it early and Quality of life is exponentially better later. Purple is fine if you want to go there.

Thanks John. My mom's bones are super brittle but that's because she smoked for 40+ years. Me, who knows. I'm sure the years of abuse (soda, which I'm still struggling with) haven't helped.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Good Morning and Happy RED TOP day. Hope all is well in Fat2fitHQ land. While smoking and sodas all contribute, the one best way to mitigate it, is lifting heavy things at least one a week and twice is better. There are piles of research on this, I see measurable differences in my patients over time, and positive improvements in cognitive functions as well, particularly in Parkinson's and other dementia patients. Get moving and lifting if you want any hope of prevention or mitigation.

Some other items of interest (maybe) is I've been working with one of my coworkers who is a body builder, I'm taking him through a show prep cycle at the moment, so the spoon chisels have been very active. Will let you know how it goes he's due for a Carb refeed This coming Wed so Thurs should be an interesting day.

As the Golden age games approach for next month our Therapist is focus on the traveling team, But bringing new guys in who I will be training for next years games, our program is growing at the rate of 30% year over year this coming year will be our 4th year of this kind of growth, I can see a day when I will probably have to switch to day shift and come off the Dementia unit. Will see. Also going to register for the Georgia Golden Age Olympics in September, for Shot Put and 5K walk. Maybe one other as well. Gonna compete as a Gun Runner.

Have a great day folks, Move well, move often, and God Bless.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Hello from Mexico!!! I'm in Monterrey for a long weekend. Gorgeous city. Wonderful people.
    Crazy good carbs and fattening food everywhere. I ate ridiculously yesterday. Chips and cheese and tortillas with everything. Frozen drinks to boot.
    We are going to call that "Carb Refeed."

Today the cousins are taking us to my aunts ranch and I know the food will be a challenge. Going to do my best to avoid binging on this stuff. It's so easy to say "you're on vacation, enjoy yourself" and "Put life into living" but trying to recover from gluttony is rough and I'm already in the hole from other celebrating throughout the summer. Wish me luck!

Angela- GREAT to see you back! Love your new habit and the story of how you started up again. :smile:

Jen- no doubt about it. Everyone is right. LIFT HEAVY THINGS.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy Sunday Folks. Hope all is well with all of you.

Carol - FB pics look like you're having a great time. Enjoy.

Not a lot new here os just an update, did some weight training this morning, Did a good session of Bench Press and Deadlift. Got to 305 on my Deeadlift for 1 rep, and maxed out my weights so got to add some or go to the Crossfit gym at Ft Stewart, next time I want to push it. Followed it up with a 3 mi walk, but added in some sprints, running sprints (well sort of running) I haven't run since the Docs told me not to some 23 years ago. So it doesn't look like much but I'm working on the Fore Runner principle of leaning more into it and taking the shock with the balls of my feet. Knees handled it fairly good today, so I'm encouraged. The training from Body by Science has been going very well, I've completed four sessions and have pretty much doubled my lifts. I'm moving about 6000 lbs in 20 mins or so. in one set each of 5 lifts.

I'm putting this image of elite athletes in here cause I think it may be useful to point out that fitness comes in all shapes and sizes. Don't worry bout the aesthetics worry bout being healthy. When you are healthy and fit, all the rest will follow....

kappo9j4tuja.jpg

• heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Carol, you have fun, eat slower and just do more activities. I agree I tend to use vacation as an excuse to indulge but I got bette, you just have to be more aware.
    Oh speaking of which, I've lost all my vacation weight all 11lb of it. Ain't that a trip? Lol water weight..
    I did 3 kettlbell session and some short body weight exercise here and there this week just one minute here 2 minute there. Not keeping track of them just want to start doing more.
    I've been busy recently trying to finish a baby quilt for my friend's baby shower next Saturday. Should've started way earlier.

Angela, welcome back, and hope to hear more from you.

John, I was looking at my beets, red pepper and tomato and I just don't don't "feel" anything lol I'm just not that sensitive. If I see a red broccoli I'd probably think antioxidant. I like colors so if I see other colors I'd probably just think ohh how fun it'll look on a plate.

Jen, at least you caught it now so you can start doing something about it. See if you have a vitamin deficiency too. That could contribute to it. This could motivate you to take more walks in the daytime as well.

Oh anybody watches James Yeager? He recently put up some videos by guest speakers on health. Pretty cool. Not much news to me but it's a different perspective that appeals to men. So ladies, if your men thinks all the health talk "mambo jumbo" is boring watch these videos with him. There's even one on Yoga! https://youtu.be/-LHY3LkQIb0
    https://youtu.be/uaavVGfidDw
    https://youtu.be/zQ480AuBU1E

• Hmrjmr1
    very Koo-EL Videos Heron. Thanks
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    edited July 2015
    Happy Monday all! I didn't lose anything last week but I have been pretty much on track except for the weekends which killed me last week. I'm hoping this week will be better. I ate well on Friday, had a treat day Saturday, and ate well on Sunday. So I did much better than last weekend. I have not been able to walk to work as the knees have been bothering me. I have been out biking though and riding to work. It seems to be a pretty good fit for the knees even though it bothers the numb leg, it's the lesser of two evils. lol I still need to make sure I get an hour in like I was doing with walking. Today is the first day that I am on target to do that. :smiley: The ride to and from work is about 20 minutes, I rode 20 minutes 4 miles at lunch and will ride 20 minuets tonight. I hope everyone else is doing well.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy Tuesday Folks! Keep at it Howie good plan. I have a co worker on the dementia unit, (she is the social worker) that I've been talking diet and exercise to for over a year, not pushing the life style more just answering questions, so she started a moderate carb WOE and lost some weight (she needs to lose around 60 -70) she also has some internal issues (Hasimotos maybe Doc still hasn't figured it all out.) She stalled in May and I told her about Carb Nite, She got the book and just did her first Carb nite on Saturday, Should have seen her smiling yesterday. She dropped 7 lbs prior to carb nite, Felt "Crazy Amazing" on Sunday, got 3 of the LBs back but because I have been telling her what to expect, she is doing great. So happy she has found this way of eating since she and her boyfriend are eating better than ever.
    So on her behalf I wanted to thank you guys for all the CN discussions. The shared knowledge is helping folks.

Work hard, Have Fun, but above all B Koo-EL.

• howie6267
    That is great, I love hearing success stories! I got my 1 hour or exercise in yesterday. That was the first day in many, many days probably since the first of the year that I got a full hour in. I bought a phone holder for my bike last night to make using map my ride a little easier. I made it to work in just over 5 minuets today. Two weeks ago it was almost 9 minutes.
  • I joined another group to give me some more motivation (not that there isn't a ton of it here). So I got out for a short (to me) mile walk. This extra weight and almost total lack of activity has really hurt me. The mile was tough.
    youtube.com/watch?v=BjICwsi1j2g
  • leopardprintaholic
    leopardprintaholic Posts: 76 Member
    @jenniferyounginillinois Jen, I LOVE your videos (& YOU)! In August I'm starting a "Move Your Moneymaker" Challenge ... Please join me. You can always start with simply drinking more water, & your 'moneymaker' will be moving you to the loo more often (& we'll count that as exercise) lol
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy wednesday Folks. Keep it rolling, it just gets better from here.
  • @jenniferyounginillinois Jen, I LOVE your videos (& YOU)! In August I'm starting a "Move Your Moneymaker" Challenge ... Please join me. You can always start with simply drinking more water, & your 'moneymaker' will be moving you to the loo more often (& we'll count that as exercise) lol

:heart: DebSue!!! I saw your challenge for August and yes, I'll be there.

I honestly cannot believe how much I've 'let myself go'. I used to be able to walk a lot more than a mile without having sore feet but jeez!! What the heck happened in the past TWO YEARS??? I'm definitely not liking what I see and feel but I only have myself to blame. I'll come out of this. But boy, after yesterday, Vegas looks impossible to even walk! :disappointed:
  • howie6267
    Good day everyone! I had a fun night last night. I blew a tire on the way home from work, probably due to some dry rot but also found out my air gauge is 15 lbs off so they were under inflated which played a part along with my wight. Under inflated + my wight = not good. lol So I went down to the local bike shop and got two new tires and two tubes, I got home mounted them and shortly after filling the back tire and setting it down I hear a loud pop. I'm like crap there must be something wrong with my rim. So I take the tires and rims back to the bike shop and it turns out it was just a defective tire. They probably nicked it with a box knife when getting it out of the box. He did not have anymore of that tire but they are great to deal with and he took the tires off a showroom bike and mounted them while I waited at no charge. So I go home happy until I went to put the back tire back on. I took the hub and gear apart more than I should have to get the tire off and had a heck of time getting it back together. I few youtube videos later and I got that figured out. So what should have took 45 minutes ended up taking 4 hours. lol I did finish my workout before dark though. Map my ride which works great with this site says I burned almost 1700 calories yesterday.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Hey guys! Life has been crazy with a capital K!! I just got back in the country Monday at 12:30am and had to be at work at 7:00am the next day. This is one of our BUSIEST times because we are doing "Teacher Summer U" with conferences and institutes between now and the beginning of the school year. For me that means up in front of the teachers all day long in sessions with meetings squeezed in afterward. I go back to Mexico tomorrow night to get my son and I'll be back super late on Sunday to do it all over again. What a blur! I actually have a podcast recorded but I have to edit it. (when???) School supplies!! My kids need uniforms and school supplies and something interesting to do for the next few weeks. Hmmmmmm..... clean their rooms?? Not going over as well as I would like. As for me, I'm chunky. Back to nothing but dresses. I've made positive changes but I have to be patient to see some results and that is killing me.
    Howie - CONGRATS on the hour you got in on the bike and then next one even with all your tire issues. Great perseverance!!
    Jen - please go watch some of you Jen's Jaunt videos from last winter. You were loving that long walk. I KNOW it seems foreign to you now. But if you MAKE yourself get out there on a regular basis it will come back. Don't think - just DO.
    Heron - thanks for the videos. And kudos on dropping the water weight.
    John - did our newbie join the GunRunners?
    DebSue - sign me up!!!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy Thursday Folks, Time to get movin'.

Carol - Amazing how that big *kitten* steam roller spends the summer just down the block reving its engine now and again then Boom! Life Happens. Seems it s been a great summer though eh? Not yet on the new guy.

Howie U B Jammin Lad!

Jen - C'mon lass just got a start, if you gained a lot of weight then the momentum from a massive object won't let you stop just get movin'!

Deb Sue looking forward to August. let's Roll
  • howie6267
    Wow Carol, I am tired just after reading your post. That sounds exhausting.

John, thanks for the kudos!

I got another 12 miles in yesterday but I have to say doing my morning 4 miles this morning I felt like it was three times as hard as the last two days. My butt is dragging for some reason today. My stats on Map My Ride stayed the same for the ride but it just felt 3x the work. My body still has to get used to this regimen.

It is really nice at the end of the day seeing that surplus in calories built up from the exercise I have done. I can't wait to weigh in tomorrow. I think it's going to be a good week. I know it is because I checked the scale this morning. lol