Keto food prep

Hey all. I could use some help with food prep. I'd like to weigh and measure all my food during the weekend and set it into portions for the week. I'm having trouble calculating and weighing meats when I cook them in large amounts. I know that the raw weight is different from cooked weight, and any sauce adds weight to the cooked weight. Can someone help me with the basics of how to do this? Example- I weighed out 6 oz of chicken thigh raw then cooked them in the oven separated. For those portions, I know for a fact they are 6 oz of raw chicken thigh and I know the macros. For another recipe, I threw 36 oz of raw chicken thighs into a pan, cooked them, and did my best to separate them into 6 equal portions, but with the liquid I don't think I did it right. I have no issues with counting or weighing in general, but portioning out meats seems like Calculus to me.

Replies

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited July 2015
    I tend to think about things averaging out. So if you record the 6 portions as equal they'll average out over the 6 days/meals. Your daily fluctuation in water weight would more than negate any small deviation anyway. IMO This is a long term program for all of us and building stress into your routines is often counter-productive.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    There are food entries on MFP for cooked items, so you can weigh it out after it's cooked.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much... as long as you're accurate most of the time, it wont really matter if you're off by a few grams.
    There's no way of being 100% exact, so you just need to do what you can and not stress about it.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    You're doing it right. Always weigh raw and this will give you the best results.

The more important thing is to do it consistently the same way over time, rather than have any specific weighing/measuring be ultra accurate. If you always do it the same way, you'll know whether to adjust your numbers up or down based on your results.
    For example, the grease left in the pan ---- it's your choice whether to count it or not, but pick one way and stick with it. Let's say then you gain weight and you didn't want to ... well, you know to adjust your calories down, but *keep* counting the grease in the pan. Does that make sense? You want to keep the potential variables to a minimum.
  • andressalabarria
    andressalabarria Posts: 2 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    You're doing it right. Always weigh raw and this will give you the best results.

The more important thing is to do it consistently the same way over time, rather than have any specific weighing/measuring be ultra accurate. If you always do it the same way, you'll know whether to adjust your numbers up or down based on your results.
    For example, the grease left in the pan ---- it's your choice whether to count it or not, but pick one way and stick with it. Let's say then you gain weight and you didn't want to ... well, you know to adjust your calories down, but *keep* counting the grease in the pan. Does that make sense? You want to keep the potential variables to a minimum.

I see what you're saying. I guess I'll just find my method and stick to that and the counting for it. The hard part has also been finding the correct food option on MFP for foods. I've found dozens of entries for chicken thighs (keep using this example) and they're all different. So I chose the one closest to the USDA entry and saved it under my Meals, to use again since I eat those a bit. I'm trying to start the measuring and weighing off correctly, without being anal about it. I made a casserole last night and added up all the ingredients, but if I were to actually weigh each portion and divide by the total weight, either my scale would break or it would take a lot of time to actually do, so I just eyeballed it and split it into rough portions. Is that fine?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    so I just eyeballed it and split it into rough portions. Is that fine?

Yep! Like @Fvaisey said, the portions will average out.

.25+.25+.25+.25=1
    and
    .31+.28+.22+.19=1