Options
2»

Replies

• sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    sunnyazgirl, you have the right of it. We seriuosly don't know how much salt restaurants or other people put in their food. Unless you eat at chains it can be extremely difficult to figure out how much sodium may be in a prepared dish. I have cut back on salting while cooking, except for pasta, because it tastes like crud to me without it. And I am only going to go so far! I have been eating out a lot more than usual lately because of family events and I can tell you that I feel more sluggish. Luckily, there are no big events on the horizon for a while and I can get back to normal.

I may have hit on something to help. I don't know if it will work everywhere, but last night we went out to Texas Roadhouse. While looking at their website for a light menu or nutrition information (they no longer post it) I saw information on getting "gluten friendly" menu items. In a nutshell, by ordering "gluten friendly" your meat would not be basted in butter sauce or marinade, your veggies would not be covered in their salty "special seasoning" and the salad arrived crouton free and with oil and vinegar dressing on the side. I also requested no added salt. I am not gluten sensitive, but these measures not only helped decrease the sodium, but helped eliminate those pesky hidden calories in restaurant food. By ordering plain foods, I felt as if I had better control of my meal. I also whipped out my handy dandy purse scale and weighed my steak and sweet potato in grams, so I felt as if the meal was eating was akin to being at home. And it did not taste salty at all!

In Vegas a couple of weeks ago we were going to a dinner show and they had an option to order a gluten-free meal also. There would be no sauce on the food, salad instead of soup (which is always very salty when not made at home) and for dessert they substituted fruit for cobbler. It may not be for everyone, but for me this looks to be a good way for me to stay happy when eating out. I eat out more for the occasion with friends or family than for the food itself anymore. We are going on a 2+ week cruise soon and I may have to join the "gluten free" bandwagon for that stretch of time, too. :)

Fascinating information. I did not know that if you specify gluten free they get all the gunk out. I just assumed they would keep wheat products off your plate but nothing else would change. Of course, people don't realize how much wheat or wheat byproducts end up in foods that, on the surface, shouldn't have wheat in it. This will be handy knowledge to have going forward and I thank you for sharing it

• sunnyazgirl
    Options
    It is probably not the perfect solution, but it is certainly an improvement over ordering straight off the menu. I am not sure if every place this will work, but I am going to try!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Most sauces are thickened with flour and the special seasonings cannot be guaranteed that they didn't come in contact with some type of gluten product, so they get eliminated, which gets rid of most salt. Must be careful because gf sauces can be thickened with tapioca, corn, potato starch or arrowroot. Doesn't add salt, but definitely adds calories. I was gf for several years because they thought I was a celiac, (turns out it was Hashimoto's, long story). GF stuff has all kinds of additives to make it taste good, (mostly fat and sugar). At restaurants, I request no salt, no sauces and no breading, and hopefully get them to grill not fry. Not perfect, but does cut down on the bad stuff
  • sunnyazgirl
    edited August 2015
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Most sauces are thickened with flour and the special seasonings cannot be guaranteed that they didn't come in contact with some type of gluten product, so they get eliminated, which gets rid of most salt. Must be careful because gf sauces can be thickened with tapioca, corn, potato starch or arrowroot. Doesn't add salt, but definitely adds calories. I was gf for several years because they thought I was a celiac, (turns out it was Hashimoto's, long story). GF stuff has all kinds of additives to make it taste good, (mostly fat and sugar). At restaurants, I request no salt, no sauces and no breading, and hopefully get them to grill not fry. Not perfect, but does cut down on the bad stuff
    Good to know! I am not looking to eat gluten free products - I certainly don't want the added fat and sugar! :o I am hoping that I can eliminate the extra salt and calories in restaurant food with gluten free, though. It seems that in these two examples I mentioned at least they did not substitute gf products, but eliminated sauces, marinades, seasonings and had healthy substitutions, such as fruit for cobbler. I will certainly use the "No sauces, salt or breading" in the future. Hopefully that will work on the cruise.

I hope you are doing ok with the Hashimotos. That kind of stinks. :/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I struggle drinking my water and now I see that because I like salt and tend to shake it on most everything without accounting for it, this may be a part of the reason. it seems that even on days the diary tells me I am under my sodium goals, I may well actually be over. I know this will be a small factor but if I correct it, it may well help. I am just such a salt addict!

I'm very skeptical that your salt preferences are a significant factor in your not losing weight. If you're consistently eating high amounts of salt, roughly the same amount daily, it seems like you'd reach some kind of salt/water input/output equilibrium . . . doesn't seem to me that you'd be gaining enough *additional* water weight every day & week to offset any weight loss through CI < CO.

The salt consumption may not be good from a general health standpoint, of course . . . and any recipe I've seen for porridge-y stuff (cream of wheat, oatmeal, farina, etc.) with oatmeal has said something like "a pinch of salt". Half a teaspoon sounds . . . unusual. Just an opinon, not an expert one.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Doing better with it. I was doubling the recipe and misread the measurements. I do like more salt in my farina, though. According to the boyfriend I have the pallette of a seven year old that smokes. Salt, sweet, etc. I am getting better with that too and choking down my veg with no real complaints.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Salt (sodium) will cause your body to retain water. That water weights 10lbs/gal so it can really add up. The doctor put me on a 1500 g sodium diet but that was because of high blood pressure. I've been doing MFP now for just over 3 months i do strength training and run just over 5 miles a day 4 days then a day off . This I built on, starting I could run only10 min now an hour. My blood pressure now is way below the 120 thanks to proper eating and excersise. If I eat out now I usually find the foods at most places salty.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Excellent job, Barry!
  • TravelinGal7147
    TravelinGal7147 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am newly rejoining MFP/ Interesting discussion. Thanks all.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am newly rejoining MFP/ Interesting discussion. Thanks all.

Glad to have your input!

• sunnyazgirl
    Options
    Salt (sodium) will cause your body to retain water. That water weights 10lbs/gal so it can really add up. The doctor put me on a 1500 g sodium diet but that was because of high blood pressure. I've been doing MFP now for just over 3 months i do strength training and run just over 5 miles a day 4 days then a day off . This I built on, starting I could run only10 min now an hour. My blood pressure now is way below the 120 thanks to proper eating and excersise. If I eat out now I usually find the foods at most places salty.

Great job! I am impressed with your exercise accomplishment. B)

I have also dropped my blood pressure. I am almost off my blood pressure meds. Like you, I also find most food salty when eating out. We are leaving on a 19 day vacation soon, including a 15 day cruise. I have indicated to the cruise line that I want a reduced sodium diet, but I know that the sodium levels will still be way over what I am used to eating. My doctor says I will probably need to take my BP pills every day (now I only take them when my BP is over 120, usually about once a week). I know from past cruise experiences that I need to avoid any foods cooked mass quantity in salty water, such as soups, pasta and shellfish. I also plan to ask for my foods to be served without sauces and I plan to drink a LOT of water. Wish me luck!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    I have also dropped my blood pressure. I am almost off my blood pressure meds. Like you, I also find most food salty when eating out. We are leaving on a 19 day vacation soon, including a 15 day cruise. I have indicated to the cruise line that I want a reduced sodium diet, but I know that the sodium levels will still be way over what I am used to eating. My doctor says I will probably need to take my BP pills every day (now I only take them when my BP is over 120, usually about once a week). I know from past cruise experiences that I need to avoid any foods cooked mass quantity in salty water, such as soups, pasta and shellfish. I also plan to ask for my foods to be served without sauces and I plan to drink a LOT of water. Wish me luck!

I can imagine what a challenge this will be. From what I have heard these cruises are often an epicurian delight. If you don't mind me asking, where are you cruising? Maybe on the days you have tours you can eat a good, healthy breakfast (oatmeal, fruit and the like) and then skip lunch or just have a snack? It sounds so exciting and I am frankly envious. Do tell us all about it!

• sunnyazgirl
    Options

I can imagine what a challenge this will be. From what I have heard these cruises are often an epicurian delight. If you don't mind me asking, where are you cruising? Maybe on the days you have tours you can eat a good, healthy breakfast (oatmeal, fruit and the like) and then skip lunch or just have a snack? It sounds so exciting and I am frankly envious. Do tell us all about it!

It is a Panama Canal cruise from LA to San Juan on the Jewel of the Seas. Then we will spend several days in San Juan before flying home. It is a bucket list cruise for me and I am really looking forward to it. We cruise frequently and quite frankly I am over the food. After a few days it is too much. I love to cruise, but I really don't need all of the rich food! We were on a 7 night Caribbean cruise in May and I did well. I walked about 11,000 - 14, 000 steps a day (treadmill, walking track, excursions, etc) and made fairly good food choices. I have oatmeal and fruit most mornings and have a green salad twice a day with Balsamic Vinegar only as dressing, lean choices for meats and try to eat plain meats. No pastas, breads, etc. and I had sherbet or fruit most nights for dessert. I gained 8 pounds on that last cruise, but lost it all in 5 days so know it was mostly the sodium. I plan to ask for all sauces to be left off or served on the side this time. I don't use sauces at home and they are loaded with sodium. It seems that most meats on the ship are served with a reduction sauce on it or under it. The cruise line does allow for special diets, so that is why I indicated "Low Sodium" on my reservation. Last time I also "indulged" in the Diamond Lounge every evening before dinner. That is a Lounge for frequent cruisers who have obtained the Diamond and above status. They have free wine, beer and other beverages along with a nice appetizer buffet. No more of that for me this time! That was my downfall last time.

Skipping meals on long excursions would not work for me. My blood sugar would be in the toilet and I would come back to the ship and binge. I try to eat small amounts every 2 - 3 hours and that is what I plan to do on this vacation. I will just make good choices like I have done before. If I have a gain I know it will come off quickly. I want to avoid my feet swelling up as they have done in the past, though. Although, on this last cruise I didn't really have that problem. I had lost 80 pounds on MFP when I boarded that ship in May and have lost almost 30 more pounds since. So, I know that will help me feel better and keep me motivated all around.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    It sounds like a fantastic trip! I hope you have fun! It also seems like you have a solid plan in place to keep things in check as much as possible.
  • sunnyazgirl
    Options
    It sounds like a fantastic trip! I hope you have fun! It also seems like you have a solid plan in place to keep things in check as much as possible.
    Thank you. I am not going to weigh in this time until I have been home several days. I am also going to pick up some protein bars to carry with me on the plane and for excursions so that I don't get famished in my efforts to avoid foods that are loaded with sodium & calories when the selections are slim.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Your idea about low sodium on the cruise is a good one.