probiotics

Options
13»

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I drink probiotic tea from Bigelow pretty much every day. I was lactose intolerant for > 10 years and can now have dairy products again. The probiotics in the tea are from Ganeden and are the same ones I used to take daily when I first became lactose intolerant to try to allow me to sneak a little dairy in now and then. They were expensive pills, though, so I just decided to stop having dairy and save money. I also ended up losing 50 lbs when I cut dairy out.
    New diet, though, and I couldn't figure out a way to sustain it without dairy and meats, so I am glad the probiotic tea I've been having for the past year or so has helped.
    For other fermented drinks that are still keto-friendly, Kevita makes a probiotic drink that is pretty good:
    http://kevita.com/products/sparkling-probiotics/mojita/
    Tasty, and makes good jello, too.

-T.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've heard the natural supplement trifecta for weightloss is a good probiotic, omega 3s, and BCAAs, all taken daily. You do have to be careful not to overdo the BCAAs though if on keto since they do increase your protein and can convert to glucose/knock you out of ketosis if you are already pushing the macro ceiling for both carbs and protein.

I take a great liquid probiotic called Inner Eco, it's coconut water kefir and loaded with billions and billions of bacteria and like 30 different strands. The tropical flavor is my fav, yum. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So how does nutritional yeast factor into this equation? Or apple cider vinegar with the mother? Aren't these both supposed to be fermented products? I'm having heavy difficulties finding anything to work fermented items into my life, because I'm in small town with ridiculously limited store options and no way to currently purchase anything online. I was also told a number of times to never buy the pill form of a probiotic because we need live cultures and anything not refrigerated is already dead.

Some strains survive just fine without refrigeration, they just last longer if they are refrigerated.

ie:
    INGREDIENTS: Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, and Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product.

These are all very alive, as they work and repopulate gut flora over time quite nicely. They don't NEED refrigeration, but we do refrigerate because we don't use it very fast once opened.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've heard the natural supplement trifecta for weightloss is a good probiotic, omega 3s, and BCAAs, all taken daily. You do have to be careful not to overdo the BCAAs though if on keto since they do increase your protein and can convert to glucose/knock you out of ketosis if you are already pushing the macro ceiling for both carbs and protein.

I take a great liquid probiotic called Inner Eco, it's coconut water kefir and loaded with billions and billions of bacteria and like 30 different strands. The tropical flavor is my fav, yum. :)

Sorry to be thick, but what are BCAAs please?

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So how does nutritional yeast factor into this equation? Or apple cider vinegar with the mother? Aren't these both supposed to be fermented products? I'm having heavy difficulties finding anything to work fermented items into my life, because I'm in small town with ridiculously limited store options and no way to currently purchase anything online. I was also told a number of times to never buy the pill form of a probiotic because we need live cultures and anything not refrigerated is already dead.

Some strains survive just fine without refrigeration, they just last longer if they are refrigerated.

ie:
    INGREDIENTS: Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, and Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product.

These are all very alive, as they work and repopulate gut flora over time quite nicely. They don't NEED refrigeration, but we do refrigerate because we don't use it very fast once opened.

That's great to know!!!! Thank you.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I take Primal Flora from Primal Blueprint, 2x at breakfast. I also take miso broth regularly (just the miso paste and hot water).
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

BCAAs=Branched Chain Amino Acids

Extreme workout people take them to help prevent loss of lean muscle mass (and therefore metabolism) when cutting down.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bcaas-the-many-benefits-of-amino-acids.html
  • htecky76
    htecky76 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take Garden of Life, Primal Defense Ultra-Probiotics. They are vegetarian and gluten free. 5 billion CFU and you can take one to three a day. I started taking them; as well a digestive enzyme to help with my IBS. They truly helped me w my constipation and bloating. Still have trouble from time to time but it is not as constant and I can tell when I forget them! I would add that "pearls" never helped me personally.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

BCAAs=Branched Chain Amino Acids

Extreme workout people take them to help prevent loss of lean muscle mass (and therefore metabolism) when cutting down.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bcaas-the-many-benefits-of-amino-acids.html

Thanks!