PCOS hypothyroidism & Yaz

Options
I have been out for a while from the forum dealing with health issues. I had a gagging sensation in my throat and I have been dealing with pretty significant hairloss for a while. I went to an endo and she found my hormone levels which should be 1:1 are 3:1 almost 4:1. I also had two large nodules on my thyroid. So I am on synthroid and she wants to put me on Yaz. I am 39 and am worried about taking hormonal birth control this late in life. It seems to be the go to method for treating high androgens in the system. I guess I don't want to get a blood clot in the middle of the 30 day shred... I learned that PCOS is closely related to insulin resistance and therefore I am on a diabetic diet .. Natural foods only no artificial sweeteners. Is there anyone else out there with something similar? What helped you (hair loss specific) ? I am doing an hour of exercise every day to lower testosterone in my system. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• deby32904
    deby32904 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I began losing all my body hair & gained 50 lbs I found out it was due to Hashimoto's Disease ( hypothyroidism.) Have u been checked for this? Lost weight on Synthroid & most hair came back. I don't know anything about Yaz but someone posted a similar question a few days ago but can't remember where. Maybe u can search? Hope this helps. Let me know how you're doing. Deby
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimoto (just diagnosed 1 month ago) and PCOS and have been struggling for ages to lose weight. Low carb eating is the only thing that seems to work for me. It is my understanding that once the hormones are regulated the hair will come back on its own. Birth control was not even suggested for me and I'm 37. Not sure what that will do, instead I'm on metformin which has reduced my testosterone. Feel free to friend me if you want, I don't have a ton of experience but can certainly share what treatment I'm on and how its working.