Fuzzy tongue feeling

Options
chaoticdreams
chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
I've noticed since I've started this WOE, the last three weeks my tongue has felt numbish? It's hard to describe and it's worse in the afternoons than mornings. It's not a funny taste really, just a fuzzy kind of feeling. I know ketosis can make your breath stink and give you a metallic taste, but can it do this too?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My wife says coconut does that to her. Are you eating anything different than you were three weeks ago?
  • chaoticdreams
    Options
    Not really. I've cut out sugar, bread, starches. I cook with coconut oil sometimes, but it never did this in the past and I haven't had any today. I drink coffee in the morning, then water most of the day, and then tea at night. I don't have diet sodas anymore.

It's just weird and slightly annoying. Tongue doesn't look funny. It's mostly just the tip of it.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    A quick google suggests it could be a calcium deficiency. It's not uncommon for some mineral deficiencies to occur during a low-carb diet, but this would be a new one to me.
  • werdnek
    werdnek Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    for fats - read the recommendation is olive oil/butter or olive/oil coconut oil - olive oil has more of a kind of fat while butter and coconut oil have another. I put coconut oil in my coffer w/cream - so I think I have the balance. P.s. word on the street is the coconut oil is good for the brain - retards altimerz (not spelled correctly).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If it is calcium, you likely need to get some grassfed butter or a K2 supplement. Apparently our bodies are horrible at converting K1 to K2, and K2 is what tells the calcium to go into our bones and strengthen them and basically directs traffic. I think it was @GaleHawkins and maybe @Dragonwolf who had an excellent conversation about this recently.
  • chaoticdreams
    Options
    I use Kerry Gold butter, was using it before starting LC as it's really delicious. The last couple of days it's gone away and I hadn't really changed anything. So I'm chalking it up to just being one of those weird things that happen from time to time. /shrugs
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    werdnek wrote: »
    for fats - read the recommendation is olive oil/butter or olive/oil coconut oil - olive oil has more of a kind of fat while butter and coconut oil have another. I put coconut oil in my coffer w/cream - so I think I have the balance. P.s. word on the street is the coconut oil is good for the brain - retards altimerz (not spelled correctly).

Olive oil is primarily Oleic Acid, which is also found in the fat of grass fed animals (including butter). There's not really much need for olive oil in when it comes to fatty acid content if you're eating meat and/or dairy (both of which have more vital nutrients included in them than olive oil).

Coconut oil is unique in that it's primarily Lauric Acid, which isn't found in most other places (the three most abundant sources are coconuts/palms, laurels, and human milk). There are small amounts in cow's and goat's milk, though.

Coconut oil's effect on Alzheimer's is from the ketones it produces. Lauric Acid is pretty much human jet fuel -- it has a "burn priority" and speed just about equal to that of sugar, so it's used quickly and easily by the body and is one of the first compounds to be used when ingested. Since it's a fat, it produces ketones when burned. Incorporating coconut oil into one's diet can actually allow for a slightly higher carb intake and still remain in therapeutic ketosis.