Just curious - was anyone's first tri 70.3 or 140.6?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    HillOE wrote: »
    I loved the my FB group for IMChoo, lots of good knowledge there, so if you do plan on doing an event, check out the FB group that goes along with it. I think there is something about IM, yes a well oiled machine, but so too are most year after year events (marathons, charity events, pro events, etc).

As for awesomeness, stupidity and stubbornness is more like it. I asked to be on the job, and it worked, but it wasn't sustainable and I missed out on a lot of baby time and family time. We worked (8-6:30 am) Friday and 2 Saturdays a month, so my weekends were shot. Having a day where you don't sleep but for 2 hr so you can get in a long ride, smrt. I've moved on to the typical work schedule now, and my training has suffered, but I get to see my husband and kids more often.

I joined the FB group for my HIM. Not a whole lot of chatter there yet.

I started with a sprint. Overweight, just learned how to swim properly in January, race was in June, and couldn't run 5k. I kept swearing I'd move up to Olympic but didn't. Four years later I signed up for a HIM last year with a group from my tri club and promptly got pregnant.
    I decided to finish what I started this year and signed up for another HIM. I'm doing my first Oly as part of training, next weekend.

I will eventually do a IM, I just can't see me being able to move up to that distance for a little while yet due to timing.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    From a post above, I have to agree there are 2 types. My bucket list is to do an Ironman, but that IM is Kona. So I started out with an Oly just to make sure it was for me. Then I was hooked. I did a couple more, then I trained for a 70.3. Next I'll be training for the full IM. Then I'll be training to qualify for Kona. My friend had never done triathlon before, but they were insanely fit via CrossFit. One day they decided an IM sounded like a cool challenge. They trained for 20 weeks, completed it, couldn't physically do anything for like 2-3 months, then went back to CrossFit. The one-and-done is definitely not for me, that's for sure.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    kona is on my bucket list... but i don't know how i'll ever qualify for it.

i'll probably only ever do 2-3 full iron mans, one of them being lake placid, and the other being kona, and find another one out there to do. i just like racing too much to just do one race a year. i know i'll probably never be the kind of person that can do multiple ultra-distance races a year.

and i feel those crossfit guys, i know that i'll probably be out of commission for at least a month after my first IM!!!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Kona... yea...

I would love to go some day. I am working on it though. Qualifying for Kona is a massive undertaking. For men in their 30s and 40s you are looking at times FASTER than 9:30 on most courses and even then you might not get it.

I am doing my 4th full IM this October and I am aiming for a <10:00 day if everything goes perfectly, or at the very least a 10:30 day. If I ever find myself consistently hitting mid-9hr days I will think about making a push for Kona.

Thinking you can KQ in your first IM is foolish.
  • glevinso
    Options
    For what its worth, the training and recovery for these things seem to get easier. The better trained you are, the faster you recover. I was back to moderate training 2 weeks after my last full IM in June, and back to full training this week (so three weeks total easy time, but only the first week was downtime). Now I am ramping back up to do three Oly races in the next 4 weeks, then one more build up for big distance and hitting my second IM of the year in Oct.

After my first IM I was completely wrecked for a month. After my second, I was moving well after 2 weeks. This past one, most of the soreness was gone by Wednesday (Sunday race)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Kona... yea...

I would love to go some day. I am working on it though. Qualifying for Kona is a massive undertaking. For men in their 30s and 40s you are looking at times FASTER than 9:30 on most courses and even then you might not get it.

I am doing my 4th full IM this October and I am aiming for a <10:00 day if everything goes perfectly, or at the very least a 10:30 day. If I ever find myself consistently hitting mid-9hr days I will think about making a push for Kona.

oh, totally. i mean, i know that my goal is to finish an IM. i can't even think of a time goal without having done a half yet!!
  • glevinso
    Options
    For what its worth, IMLP for 2016 is NOT YET sold out. Usually sells out in minutes. Grab a spot now you have your chance!

I actually have NO desire to do IMLP though. For you, Challenge AC, or IM Maryland... or for a little bit farther of a trip, Beach 2 Battleship in NC or Challenge Cedar Point in Ohio would be excellent first-IMs
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Kona... yea...

Lol. One of the guys from my tri club did an IM his second year an qualified for Kona.
    Then again, he just won IMLP so I doubt he represents your average triathlete.

One of the other guys is giving up trying to Kona qualify until he is in an older age group.

Kona is a dream but I can't ever see myself being good enough to qualify.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The only people I know who've gone to Kona have won the legacy lottery (do 12 IM, then get in a smaller lottery pool). Anyone know what IM is planning now that the lottery was declared illegal?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Did my first Tri earlier this year - sprint distance. Ran 10k this morning, fasted. Legs were sore at the end, but I wasn't even out of breath. Doing an Oly in September, which won't be a problem.

And now I find myself seriously considering getting ready for a 70.3 in 2016.

But it's a bit scary for me, because I'm built for linebacking, not for wisping around an endurance course....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Did my first Tri earlier this year - sprint distance. Ran 10k this morning, fasted. Legs were sore at the end, but I wasn't even out of breath. Doing an Oly in September, which won't be a problem.

But it's a bit scary for me, because I'm built for linebacking, not for wisping around an endurance course....

i feel you man. i'm 6'3, and have a pretty solid frame myself. for the last three years i raced as a clydesdale (220+lbs) and didn't really think i was built for endurance. but in time, the endurance and the speed comes. i'm doing my first 70.3 this year, and honestly, i'm finding that i wished i had waited one more year so that i could continue concentrating on getting faster.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

i feel you man. i'm 6'3, and have a pretty solid frame myself. for the last three years i raced as a clydesdale (220+lbs) and didn't really think i was built for endurance. but in time, the endurance and the speed comes. i'm doing my first 70.3 this year, and honestly, i'm finding that i wished i had waited one more year so that i could continue concentrating on getting faster.

Wow. Thanks for that!

:drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Wow. Thanks for that!

:drinker:

no problem.

btw, this january i decided that i was going to be as strict as humanly possible with my calories. i read Matt Fitzgeralds book "racing weight" and that gave me a lot of tips and insight, and i went from a good 230ish pounds to where i am now, which is hovering around 205.

... maybe i'll start a racing weight thread, so that this doesn't get derailed.