Extremes

Options
natalse
natalse Posts: 22 Member
Hi, I'm fairly new here.

I tend to emotionally eat. Usually out of boredom. If I'm at home, I don't know what else to do (college student in my own place for the first summer). My problem is that after I had surgery last year I overate SO much that I gained over 20 lbs in a year.

Now that I'm eating healthy, I am beginning to UNDEReat. I can't seem to avoid extremes. I feel like I need to lose weight as fast as possible so I lessen the calories.

There are still time where I feel the urge to eat more. To eat more than the proper serving size etc.

I just can't seem to find a medium. Any one have any advice?

The last time I lose weight I went through the same thing. And ended up eating 250 calories a day and working out to lose 1600 calories a day. Very unhealthy, I know. I'm not letting it get that bad. I keep my calories over 1,000. But that same mentality is in me where I want to do that again, I just know my heart can't handle it and I know it's not healthy.

Replies

• jlann55
    jlann55 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have just started trying to lose weight again, but the experts say we have to find balance in order to achieve a true lifestyle change, I am trying to find what I can live with, long term.. not just lose weight with. I want a real change.... I wish you health and success.
  • MrsPryority
    MrsPryority Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried planning out your daily meals? For example, the night, enter the food you should eat the following day. You can even go as far as prepping it and have it available in easy to grab containers. That way you can make sure you're eating enough calories. Plus its easier to eat healthy when you plan it the day before and it's' already prepped. You seem to have enough control to be able to eat only 250 calories a day (something I definitely don't), so if you plan ahead, maybe it will help balance the extremes.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Knowing the problem is half the battle!! I applaud your desire to want to eat at a balanced level. Too low of caloric intake is very dangerous. Along with pre-logging meals (awesome idea!), it may help to use verbal (say it out loud, not just in your head) positive reinforcement. Like "I want to eat enough because it makes me feel: strong, healthy, balanced, etc. insert whatever word or phrase works for you. I understand you may not "feel" that way, but if you say it out loud long enough (days, weeks, months, {gulp} years) the pattern will stick with you. You can use it for anything. My current one is "giving up is not an option". I have been saying it since I started in March. I've never been able to stay motivated for more then 2 weeks to eat healthy and stop bingeing. So it is helping me. I still backslide and overeat, but i am never going to give up. I always climb out of the pit, forgive myself and move forward.
    You can do it, you are worth it!!!!!
  • walrusd
    walrusd Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Both the extremes of overeating and understating are linked with shame, in my case that is. I undereat because I'm ashamed of the way I look and proud when I manage to undereat. However, I rarely, and luckily, never manage to undereat more than a month. I overeat when I feel so ashamed that I can't cope with myself.

I believe the key is to accept the way you are now, the fact that you've gained 20 lbs (I also have, by the way). It's difficult, especially when you live in an environment where people judge you a lot. I find it's difficult to no feel ashamed, because I am overweight and I shouldn't be. However, that isn't the most important thing in life! Trying to remain calm on the inside, whilst accepting the fact that right now I need to lose weight, works for me.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I am quite a bit overweight (seriously obese) and I certainly get the shame game. People can be vicious and cruel: "friends", family, strangers, you name it. My own mind will beat me down if I let it! And when (not if, but when) the harassment comes it takes my whole being not to spiral into a depression. So you are absolutely right , to move forward you must learn to love yourself no matter your current size.