Protein and low blood sugars

Options
carolemorden9
carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
Maybe someone can help me out here. I've heard that eating something hi in protein and help raise your blood sugar from a low and help keep it stable. This confuses me. Personally, I need carbs to get mine to go up, but lately have been including protein along with the carbs to raise it if needed. Can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have read just the opposite. that if you eat 3x the protein to the net carbs, help keep your sugar lower. I have been experementing with protein on this (with a protein powder). Does seem to have truth to it.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you are experiencing a low blood sugar (below 70) and you need to raise your blood sugar level quickly then you consume 15g of a quick carbohydrate (glucose tab, orange juice, canned frosting, etc.). Wait 15 minutes and check your blood sugar. If it is still too low, then repeat 15g carbs - wait 15 minutes. Once your blood sugar is normalized eat protein or your blood sugar will crash again. Carbohydrates bring it up quickly... protein and fat will help keep it there.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have read just the opposite. that if you eat 3x the protein to the net carbs, help keep your sugar lower. I have been experementing with protein on this (with a protein powder). Does seem to have truth to it.

To control high blood sugar, you decrease carbohydrates, keep protein at a moderate level (enough to meet your daily protein needs) and fat high. Fat helps to regulate blood glucose levels. Excess protein will be converted to glucose.

Anyone who is chronically hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) without being on diabetic medications, should eat just like a diabetic. Taking in too much sugar/carbohydrates will raise the blood sugar and then drop it too low because their pancreas reacts to sugar with too much insulin.

If they are a diabetic taking blood glucose lowering medication and they experience a low blood sugar then they need sugar/glucose (15g, 15 minutes apart) to bring it back up followed by a small meal of protein and fat. If that keeps happening then they need their medication adjusted.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks, LauraDotts! You've been very helpful. I have a friend on here who doesn't eat many carbs, will wake up with extreme lows around 38 - 57 and eat mainly protein, and then in the afternoon have a reading of 250. She's called her doctor now and waiting to hear back.