August book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Hi everyone!

We aren't reading a book in July, but I do want to get a jump on picking the August book so we can be sure to have it at the beginning of August.

Do you have any recommendations?

I proposed a book by Caroline Graham - one of the Midsomer Murder books - but let's entertain other ideas, too.

Hope you are having a nice July.

M

Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hello Diamondettes!
    All is great here. Just enjoying alot of summer here in FL. Hope you are doing ok too. SO I am ok with your proposal so if its all right with you we'll just go ahead and read that one.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    But I guess we need to pick which one??
  • mabug01
    Options
    We could start with her first Midsomer novel, The Killings at Badger's Drift.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say, "HI". Hope you are well. The trip was lovely and it has taken me some time to get reorganized. The heat is intense and the fires are alarming but it is good to be home. Have you been reading, The killings at Badger's Drift? Sorry I have not gotten around to it. All the best.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I've been reading a book my cardiologist recommended - Before the Heart Attacks. I still want to read Badger's Drift. I'm leaving in less than a week for California so I'm really busy. I'll be back in September. Would anyone like to pick a book for September?
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Hey there. I have been reading that best seller about tidying up. Some good ideas and it is helping me with reorganizing my home. Badger's Drift interests me still. Was just loaned Gray Mountain by John Grisham...Maybe?
    Have a great trip and let us know when you are back and ready to read. Perhaps our other Diamondette has an idea. Have fun.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi Diamond Ladies, I have not read a thing!! But Badgers drift still interests me and here it is September/ as you know my new job has been going for 6 weeks now so that has taken some adjustment and I am not going by the library anymore. But I am going to look for that book. Maybe we can make that Septembers book since it looks like no one has read it.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Gray Mountain sounds good too. If its new I probably havent read it. I am going to make a point of picking up both.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Ok I started Gray Mountain; I have lived in the Carolinas where true southerners are and I think this book seems a little fake like he is greatly exaggerating stereotypes but hopefully the story line is interesting enough! A little romance maybe for our star character? I have the other book on order from the Library. I am also way for the X is for ... from Sue Grafton. It just came out and someone already checked it out. So back to life as normal and hope to get some serious reading done! Hope you both are well.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    L. Good luck with your new job. I did not find Gray Mountain that engaging. Maybe I haven't given it a chance. M . Hope your California trip was good. I am off to Oregon but would still like to read Badgers Drift. End of Sept I plan to settle down and look forward to a good read.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I am still reading Gray Mountain; it is a little hard to be engaged to it, I agree. I am also waiting for the Badgers Drift from the library. I am also reading a new book from Mary Higgins Clark..Have a good time in Oregon.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Thanks. I ordered Badgers Drift and will read it when I return at the end of the month. How are you doing with all that rain?
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    There s just alot of grass to mow and my flowers are doing beautifully; I am used to Florida summers with alot of afternoon thunderstorms
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    The only thing I dont like is WEEDING ARGH
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I am not going to finish Gray Mountain. Its overdue and going back! still waiting on the others
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi, I'm finally back, but am now busy clearing out my apartment because I've decided to move back to California for awhile - actually probably I'll stay a year. I only have a week to finish. Badger's Drift is still at the top of my list. Hope all is well with you two.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Back from Oregon. Beautiful and green and had fun experiences. Plan to stay put for a while. Have Badger's Drift and will begin reading it. Mary, good luck with your new move. Does your imagination take you beyond a year? Happy gardening, Lenore. I have given up with all the water restrictions. Sadly, it is every bush for itself. Am hand watering my Meyer Lemon tree which I love to see at Christmas.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi, M, I used to have a Meyer Lemon tree and loved it, too, so I would be watering as much as it needed. I'm lucky I don't have to do any yard work. The owner of the house in California has hired a gardener for us and the front yard is rock and bushes. I'm too sentimental to stay more than a year, I think. I can't stand being away from my son in Florida longer than that, just as I can't stand being away from my daughter in California for long, either. They are causing me to spend their inheritance on these moves! I did finally figure out that it's cheaper to find new/used furniture at the destination point, as opposed to moving everything back and forth. I've pared down to some boxes of pictures, memorabilia and my favorite kitchen gadgets. And papers; the paper monster has me in its clutches. I keep thinking I will just scan things, but I always lose the scanned items for some reason. It's just not the same as holding a piece of paper, anyway. I've had Badger's Drift mailed to my new address and will read it in October.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Good luck with all the changes. Kids are the big tug for us all. I admire your strength moving across the country. I am still paring down this house and find it hard to think about a move. Maybe a mid country vacation home is your answer. And you could all meet in a central place. Or think storage locker. :) Although, lots of people live in 2 places...sunbirds or snow birds. The book is short and good so far. I think I actually read it years ago but that does not mean I remember it. The series is one of my favorites and I just rented series #25! I won't discuss the book until all you diamond gals are on board.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Wow! So many changes; that sounds like fun to be moving back and forth; glad to hear from both of you. I am still waiting on my copy of Badgers and just enjoying life with my new eyes and spending alot of time working out. I am getting more toned than I have been since I was young. Trying to lose more weight.