August book

Options
2»

Replies

• steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your exercise success!!!!! I finished, Badger's Drift.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks and I congrats on finishing that book. I am getting tired of waiting for my copy. I am going to have to read something else until it arrives.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I about to read, Year of Wonder by Geraldine Brooks. Might interest you- Historical Fiction. It is about a plague which took place in England in 1666. Sounds weird but she is such a good writer.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Arrived in California and been busy with the move-in. Am reading Badger's Drift and I have to say I really like it - as a complement to the tv show, I think you learn more about what everyone is thinking and observing. L - you are inspiring me; I would love to feel well-toned again.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I still dont have any books. I am going to look for Year of Wonder. Congrats on your safe travel. Guess youre both over there now. I will be there sometime next year for a DAD visit in Arroyo Grande just south of San Luis Obispo.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    HI Ladies.. I started Year of Wonders last night and I like it so far. Very old fashioned and I love that; a vintage read! Great writer== yes.... And so I guess it is the November Book? Still waiting on Badgers Drift; the library has to do an interlibrary loan and apparently the last try didnt happen for some reason. Oh btw, I read part of X by Sue Grafton and had to return it before the last 100 pages because it was a 7 day loan and it was kind of boring and I was forcing myself through it so there
    s book review for ya!
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Oh am working out almost daiy and REALLY miss it when I take a rest day. What happened??
    It used to be the other way around :blush:
  • steppingstones
    Options
    You are an inspiration, L!!!!!! I am back to reading Year of Wonders again. Liking it, too. This author does her research!!!!
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi everyone. L - thanks for the review of X. I'm sorry to hear it was boring, maybe she is just forcing herself to finish the series. I'll probably read it anyway, because I'm the same way. It sounds like I'm missing a good read with Year of Wonders, but I probably won't get to it. I read about 1/2 of Badgers Drift and I lost the book somewhere, probably behind the bed. So I picked up a Nevada Barr book from the thrift store. It's set at Ellis Island and it's a little hard to get into. Also, I agree with M that it is inspiring to hear about your good fitness success.
  • mabug01
    Options
    So, I "lost" the Nevada Barr book, but, while groping behind the bed for it, I found the Badger's Drift book, so I'm back on that now. LOL I love the unpredictability of life.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    LOL ; still waiting on Badgers Drift- will it ever arrive?? Reading Year of Wonder
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi Ladies; I finished Year of Wonders; well dont want to ruin the ending but may I say "AISHA and ELINOR" - sweet
  • steppingstones
    Options
    That headboard has untold treasures ! Interested what you thought of ending of Badger's Drift. Still reading The Year of Wonders. Love this author! Third book I have read and I had excitement of hearing her speak at a luncheon recently. L. if you are still reading the book, you must be glad to be a Nurse today. Diamondettes shall we pick out a Christmas type light read and get on the same page? Saw this one at the library, Kiss Christmas Goodbye. An Agatha Raisin mystery by M.C.Beaton
  • mabug01
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sure, let's see what Agatha Raisin is up to at Christmas.

I was wondering if anyone has read any of the older female authors of mysteries - Margaret Millar, Charlotte Armstrong, Elisabeth Holding, or Dorothy Salisbury Davis. If so, what did you think? Does it interest anyone to try one of these older books next year?
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    No I havent read any of those authors and I agree with the Christmas book.. ... Happy Thanksgiving to both of you.
  • mabug01
    Options
    By the way, did any of you see the movie Wild? It wasn't quite as detailed as the book obviously, but I think it captured some of the best parts.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Yes. I did see Wild and enjoyed it. Wanting to see Brooklyn, really liked the book but it is playing no where around here. Saw Bridge of Spies...edge of your seat ...really good . And it is true. M. I, too, am not familiar with the authors you mentioned. Maybe you can lead us in the New Year and we can read some of the books together. Let's change the month and find a Christmas read.

Happy Thanksgiving Diamondettes.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I'll set up a new topic for December book. I haven't finished Badger's Drift yet, I'm looking forward to see if it ends the same way the TV did.