Dr. Lustig's FAT CHANCE book & Fructose study shows how evil it is for Kidneys

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
I'm reading several LC books from a library sale haul. Love Dr. Lustig's bombastic tone in videos, and his book is excellent..I can see where many facts are taken direct from his text.

FAT CHANCE- on how cane sugar- then as HFCS (and also heap soy) came to be in almost every single food produced. We REALLY do have to "shop around the outside of the grocery store"….. to buy unadulterated food.

50 years ago there were far fewer mass produced cookies and crackers. What we are seeing is massive growth of these processed foods. And it's nearly impossible now to buy breads or cookies without the added sugars, plus grains are stripped of fiber/bran, etc which slowed digestion/absorption .

So it is only recently these over processed foods have been available 24/7..and kept cheap.

In 1980 when the ENTIRE sugar cane crop was wiped out due to hurricanes….only THEN is when cheap HFCS was allowed into everything, including drinks (not permitted before then by FDA) ..and yet food prices did not drop..they stayed the same.

Lustig shows how DRINKING calories via HFCS is what really caused the problem, especially for our nation's children who were taken off whole milk, given sweetened low fat milk, and tons of juice.

Fructose, but not dextrose, accelerates the progression of chronic kidney disease
I'm a kidney patient- so discovering challenges, especially how Fructose is far worse than dextrose, is enlightening.

http://ajprenal.physiology.org/content/293/4/F1256
Facts:
__ High fructose consumption by animals produces a model of the metabolic syndrome with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and insulin resistance.

__UP to 20,000,000 people in the United States have chronic kidney disease (CKD)
(most are unaware, despite education programs, MDs fail to tell patients until Stage 3-4)

__Fructose has been recommended to diabetic patients, ….it does not elevate blood glucose levels. However, several researchers have raised the concern that fructose may contribute to the current epidemic of the metabolic syndrome.

___Fructose consumption has steadily increased over the past 30 years in parallel to the growth of the obesity/metabolic syndrome epidemic, and fructose and high-fructose corn syrup are ingredients in many commercially produced food products. In fact, the average American now consumes 64 pounds of sweeteners every year.

__fructose may also have direct toxic effects on the renal tubular cells (these can't regrow)

Replies

• deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ...and we, Americans, eat HFCS like no other nation. It is a sin that we are a "civilized" nation and out diet is deplorable. The politics of food is frightening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2239302/Syrup-biscuits-ice-cream-energy-drinks-fuelling-diabetes-global-scale.html

Lobbyists protect the interests of large companies. Government associations and agencies are funded by large companies to the detriment of the American people. We need more critical eyes and whistle blowers.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this piece. I'm aware of Dr Lustigs efforts to raise awareness of the dangers of HFCS. It really is frightening the way in which the thinking of the masses has been conditioned by a media which is in hoc to big business. Unless we are open minded to independent thinkers and take personal responsibility we are headed for a very frightening situation.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I agree that HFCS is bad, but I think its only one piece of the puzzle. Its the promotion of the LFHC diet. The demonization of fat by the government. Couple that with jobs that aren't laborious and desk jobs and you have a recipe for the diabetic, morbidly obese, insulin resistant people world wide.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    92 pounds down, 32 to go.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    well, considering we aren't going back to an agrarian society, and will spend more time in front of computers and electronic 'buzz' so it is avoiding the Fructose that is an INSTANT benefit by dropping BG immediately, allowing real energy vs narcolepsy, etc.

( I have to laff..a LC 'hater' I ran into claims "if anyone mentions Lustig or Taubes she will AX them off her list, and never speak to them" so there are some strong feeling out there.

I can understand people who don't want to hear sugar is evil…we are slammed with so many NEW problems every few years I can see why trust is gone…people dont want to think and worry over enjoying their food..I understand that..it is only we motivated folk who will listen..but we are also the ones paying for the medical care for the rest..sigh
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    How interesting! Thank you for sharing!