Do you hate chocolate?

Options
mygnsac
mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
It seems the older I get the less I enjoy chocolate. That and overly salty or spicy foods. My taste buds are rebelling! I realize the dislike of overly salty food comes with better eating habits over the last couple years (definitely not on board with the salted caramel craze going on now), but I never thought I would see the day when chocolate held no allure. Weird! I still eat the occasional piece of dark chocolate (cause it's good for you), but it has to be at least 84% cacao.

Now if my taste buds would get on board with the whole shellfish thing, I could start enjoying those yucky sea bugs (shrimp, lobster, crabs, etc.) that everyone seems to love. I've tasted them once a year for the past 30 years just to confirm they are still yucky!

Anyone else loving/hating foods they used to hate/love? After a lifetime of hating it, salmon is now on the love list. Never thought I'd see the day I'd eat salmon!
igtxp7w0hjdf.jpg

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Well, I still love chocolate, but I have found so many other things I like, I don't eat it as often (or in massive quantities). As a child, the only veg I liked was corn and potatoes; now I don't even consider them veggies. I eat sprouts, eggplant, squash. I haven't found one I refuse to eat. Used to hate sweet potatoes, love them now. I am not a fan of red meat, but bring on the fish. Leave off the salt though and bring on just about any spice of which you can think. Funny how our tastes change.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    I'm the same way about veggies now, though I have found one I hate. Acorn squash. Yuck! :#
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Our tastebuds change.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I agree with @marekdds, at least mostly. I, too, still love chocolate and I just love a good steak and bacon. Anyway, I suppose our taste buds are maturing. I'll eat just about any veg, tho my husband still won't eat okra. I wonder where brown rice was all my life and don't miss pasta, except maybe ravioli. I also seem to not miss butter.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I still love chocolate and all my old beloved darlings. But I am coming to appreciate stuff I never liked before such as smoked salmon. I find, though, that I don't eat cookies as much as I used to. I mean, I still love temp but am finally at a point where two will do, not the whole box.
  • sassyii
    sassyii Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, real chocolate I will never give up! Sugar I can live without, but not chocolate and coffee! Everybody has there own thing. :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm with sassyii.....Coffee and chocolate - two of my absolute favorites!!!
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've gotten to be more snobby about my chocolate :)
    I won't eat the cheap kind, but the really good stuff is something I will not turn down!
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Taste buds change with age - normal. I used to love chocolate, now it's marginal at best. Never liked nuts as kid, now I just love salted in shell peanuts. Didn't like spicy food as a kid, now love it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    85% cocoa dark chocolate

Good for my heart and yummy

Goes great with a cup of black cherry chocolate yogurt

• burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat a little of the semi-sweet dark chocolate here and there. I like it on the bitter side. Doctor advised if we had a need to cheat , a little chocolate was a good choice.
    I got to making my own chili from scratch a while back and found you can mix hot chili peppers with chocolate.
    I really enjoy that.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat it anymore. It's been years. I occasionally have an ice cream bar with chocolate coating, but that's very seldom. I really don't miss it at all.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think of chocolate as the most important food group we have!! <3 However, I do require it be high quality dark chocolate and not that gross milk chocolate stuff. :p

I know that my taste buds have changed a lot. I cook with so little salt that eating out is difficult. I also love so many veggies that I would never touch as a kid. Brussels sprouts and asparagus are my very favorites. I still can't stand raw tomatoes, but give me some sundried tomatoes and they are like candy.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Chocolate is one of the major food groups, at least for me. I prefer dark chocolate, but will take any, in a pinch.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Chocolate is one of the major food groups, at least for me. I prefer dark chocolate, but will take any, in a pinch.

This is me, too. My sweet tooth is just about as big as my head!

My taste buds have changed for sure but I still don't like brussel sprouts!! What has changed even more is my ability to tolerate certain foods. I still love the taste of fried chicken, ribs and pizza with lots of pepperoni and sausage but they sure don't love me! Also, I've never been a big drinker but alcohol gives me a headache now so I stopped. What I have probably become the most snobby about is bread. I love the stuff but I'm going to make sure it's good!
  • mygnsac
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »

This is me, too. My sweet tooth is just about as big as my head!

My taste buds have changed for sure but I still don't like brussel sprouts!! What has changed even more is my ability to tolerate certain foods. I still love the taste of fried chicken, ribs and pizza with lots of pepperoni and sausage but they sure don't love me! Also, I've never been a big drinker but alcohol gives me a headache now so I stopped. What I have probably become the most snobby about is bread. I love the stuff but I'm going to make sure it's good!

Me to with bread, and also with desserts. I don't eat a lot of sweets like I used to, but now and then I do plan for a really decadent dessert.

• Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    For decades I loved salmon, then I bought some fresh 3 weeks ago, and found live worms in it and chucked it. So I bought frozen salmon and found dead worms in it. Now I'm grossed out and won't touch salmon.
    I have also loved cheese for decades but I'm thinking it gives me heart burn so I'm trying to curb my intake of it a tad bit to see if that helps.
    I hated salt for decades but am starting to like it now. I am liking chocolate salted pretzels when I have always despised pretzels.
    I continue to love ice cream as always!
  • marekdds
    Options
    Eww! I have never had that happen. I love salmon.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Had salmon sushi today, worm free!!! Yum and sorry for your experience @Brinasacat
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    That neverr happened to me but I think I will skip salmon today.