De-lurking and intro

Options
ambergem1969
ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
Hi all - I've been lurking for the past few weeks after starting LCHF on June 27th. This isn't my first try at Low-carb. I first lost a lot of weight in my early 30s (about 13 years ago). I dropped about 50 lbs at that point but changes to my life (separation from my then husband) led me to gain back the weight and more. Since then I have also tried WW - again very successful but I didn't maintain.

After seeing some truly frightening pictures of myself at my daughter's graduation I realized that it was time to do SOMETHING. I'm 45 and can see some early signs of perimenopause and I know that will make losing weight more and more difficult as time goes on. There is also diabetes on my mother's side. I would note also that I had a diagnosis of PCOS in my 20s but I would say it was not as severe as many have it - I was able to get pregnant easily once I lost a bit of weight and my cycles stabilized. To be honest, I'm not really sure how insulin resistant I am, but certainly its a factor. So all that to say that I'm trying to address the weight and lifestyle change now before time and getting older start to really make it challenging!

Right now I'm eating around 1600 cals, and my macros are set for keto (5/20-25/70-75) though I do not test so I'm not sure I'm in keto or not. I dropped 14 lbs in 2 weeks (I had no idea I was retaining so much water) but have seen no losses in the last few days. I know I shouldn't weigh every day but I find it hard to resist! I do wonder if my body is taking a pause to think about what I've done to it.

Ultimately I'm looking to lose about 65-70 lbs. Interestingly, my happiest weight is around 170 (at 5'6") - which may sound high for some but works very well for me. I'm not determined to get muscly or cut - just be comfortable in my skin and happy in my favorite clothes.

I have already learned so much just reading and can tell you that the science has come such a long way in the last 13 years! I actually feel like low carb is a lot less "fringe" than it was when I last did the diet so its nice to see changes in public opinion.

Lisa

Replies

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Loads of great people on here. I don't weigh every day as it makes me a bit obsessive and I like to see a loss most times I weigh!

LC is pretty easy these days and I manage to eat out a lot without any trouble. Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Lisa! My peri-menopausal (almost menopausal) symptoms are greatly improved and my stubborn belly fat is shrinking.
  • ambergem1969
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Welcome, Lisa! My peri-menopausal (almost menopausal) symptoms are greatly improved and my stubborn belly fat is shrinking.

Thanks! It is very promising to hear that! I've definitely noticed weight going on around the middle now instead of butt/thighs like it would in the past.

• jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Welcome am bergen. Really hope you get good success this time. Lots of good info and support here.
    @deksgrl .....what are you doing/that's get your belly down? ?? Brilliant it's going but please tell us how!! A lot of ladies on here will be interested!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Great to see you here. The knowledge I have gained from the members of this group has been invaluable. I'm sure you will find the same. Good luck! I'm sure you will be the success that you want to be! :smiley:
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Your macros look good. Stick to plan and I'm sure you will achieve your goals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm pretty new too but I can tell you that you've come to the right place. This group is a very friendly and helpful bunch.

Best wishes.
  • ambergem1969
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!

I had a dream last night that after a long stall I stepped on the scale and had lost another 10 lbs. In reality, I stepped on the scale this morning and lost 0.4 pounds after a 2 pound weight fluctuation over the last few days. Honestly - that 0.4 pounds felt like as much of a victory as the 10 from my dream :)

I do wonder why I'm dreaming about weighing myself though! Anyone else dream about stuff like that?

I'm almost 3 weeks in now and have learned that I cannot handle sweet fat bombs. I haven't gone overboard eating them but I really REALLY wanted to even though I sweetened it with stevia drops.

I am looking for friends so if you are interested, please add me!

Lisa
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome @ambergem1969.
    I'm new too!!
    Menopausal, my self. I asked my doctor when we would know that I was finished with menopause and he laughed and laughed.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, and congrats on switching to, IMO, the easiest, most sustainable lifestyle choice. I'm 6 months in and can't see ever going back. Welcome to the group!
  • provence9
    provence9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm trying to delurk also. I have similar stats 5'6, 46 years old and feel fairly comfortable at 170. I also have similar issues: PCOS, yo-yoing, etc Best wishes.
  • ambergem1969
    Options
    Welcome @ambergem1969.
    I'm new too!!
    Menopausal, my self. I asked my doctor when we would know that I was finished with menopause and he laughed and laughed.

That's hilarious! At least he isn't sugar coating it for you :smiley:
    provence9 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm trying to delurk also. I have similar stats 5'6, 46 years old and feel fairly comfortable at 170. I also have similar issues: PCOS, yo-yoing, etc Best wishes.

Welcome! At 170 I'm already a size 10 usually which is about as small as I'm going to get given my body type/genetics. In my early 30's I got down to 150 but maintaining it involved insane amounts of running and weight training. Between full time work, two teens, and the university courses I'm taking, exercise is on the back burner and I'm very okay with that! TBH I'm kind of happy to land at whatever weight I end up at as long as I feel good and have energy (provided it isn't above 200 lbs...)

• UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! I've been lurking for a while and just started low-carb a few weeks ago too, it's been great for me so far. I've lost 10lbs and broken through a stubborn plateau, plus I feel 100% better than when I wasn't eating LC/keto :) If it helps I've also got mild PCOS, which I take metformin for.

Lol at you dreaming about weighing yourself - although last night I had a very vivid dream that I was a stripper! Quite a career change as I'm an engineer at the moment! Maybe once I'm at goal weight ;)