Arthritis and keto

Options
mongoosealamode
mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
Today I went to the movies and my knees started to really ache because of the cold theater. This has been something that has happened for years so it isn't anything new to me. My mother said that its not good if its because of cold and that there is A LOT of arthritis in the family. Then she said "watch your salt" in an 'oh damn' kinda way because of keto.

Should I be concerned about salt intake and the possibility of causing/worsening arthritis? I know that keto helps with inflammation but what about osteoarthritis?

Replies

• suprangela79
    suprangela79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Going low carb has actually helped my arthritic pain to the point that I rarely have any pain in my hands and joints anymore. It took about a month or so going low carb before I noticed I wasn't in pain all of the time. Coincidence? Maybe, but I feel great and if it's because of lowering my carbs that I am pain free then I'll take it. As far as salt intake, as long as you are drinking PLENTY of water then you should be fine with sodium. In fact, I believe you are supposed to up your intake of sodium on low carb. Someone more knowledgeable may answer you in regards to sodium.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Low carb has helped my joints too, I'm in much less pain. I find lots of people say "oh, that's bad for arthritis" like my partners mum who's 73 and has arthritis and takes all these pills for it and follows a certain eating plan as advised by her doctor but as far as I can see all the things she preaches are not helping her at all. So, I go with my experience, not what other people tell me based on something they've heard which may or may not have any scientific basis whatsoever.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found keto has helped my osteoartritis in my knees and hips somewhat, but not enough that if I sit still in a theatre for a couple of hours I won't pay for it. For me it is not the cold but the sitting still. I hobble for 15 minutes after standing up. LOL

I've never heard of salt worsening arthritis symptoms.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    30 days into eating < 50 grams of carbs a day my arthritis pain dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. 9 months later keto eating is still working for me.

I had to start eating salt because when I ditched process foods my sodium intake was too low.
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have early osteoarthritis in my one knee, and this discussion made me realize I haven't even had a twinge in a couple of weeks. My hands feel better, too.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have early osteoarthritis in my one knee, and this discussion made me realize I haven't even had a twinge in a couple of weeks. My hands feel better, too.

I'll echo that except for me it's been 6-7 months w/o a twinge from knees, hands or the gout in my big toe.

• jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Prior to going LCHF I had a lot of pain in my knees. Sitting for even 15 minutes would mean I hobbled until they got mobile again. I suddenly realised about 5 -6 weeks in that I didnt have any pain any longer! None since! Definite positive. :)