How long did you take off work

Options
2»

Replies

• CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in March, and took 2 weeks off. I am so glad I did, too. I was able to focus on healing, getting in a routine, and resting. Not sure of the others, but I was pretty worn out for about 2 months.
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Three weeks.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I took the full six weeks that was approved by my short term disability insurance...I also had an umbilical hernia repair, hiatal hernia repair, and part of my esophagus removed at the time of my RNY.

I could have easily gone back to work in the office after a couple of weeks but I developed pancreatitis and pneumonia about 10 days after my surgery and spent nearly 5 days in the hospital. That recovery was much worse than the surgery!

I'm happy to have taken the time to recover. I've been able to establish a good selection of foods that I can eat and get a lot of exercise in.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would not have been able to go back for at least 4 weeks after my sleeve. I had unexpected issues and the recovery was ROUGH! I'm great now, but it was a really tough month. I'm a teacher, so fortunately I was able to do it during summer vacation.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I took two weeks off and returning to work put me back in my normal routine. I took my lunch and a back up lunch incase I had problems with my first choice. I also stocked my fridge at work with yogurt and protein drinks. If I couldn't eat my pureed lunch then I new I could eat the yogurt or drink the protein shake. I didn't have any problems and my energy seemed to return after the first week back. Sitting around all day zapped all my energy.
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I took 5 weeks off - I could probably have gone back at 4 weeks. Don't skimp on recovery time - it takes awhile to adjust to the new eating/drinking regimen.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I took 4 weeks off, covered by generous short term disability coverage. While I was up and around after a couple of weeks, I still took a bunch of naps and was glad for the extra time to get lots of walking and other exercise in and get accustomed to the eating rhythm. When I went back, I was pretty much back to full energy. Another reason to expect a longer recovery is that if any complications happen, you won't be rushed back.
  • 1triciakae
    1triciakae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 7/20/2015, I took 2 weeks off. I honestly could have went back after 1 week. I work a desk job. The second week I did enjoy taking my kids and hubby places. That was nice.
    I am 5 weeks out right now and on pureed foods. I do not get hungry so the one thing I have noticed is that I am disliking food because I am never hungry so I force myself to eat.
    Also your sense of taste and smell changes a lot after surgery. For me personally everything tastes to sweet or too salty.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I has RNY on 6-15-15 and took 1 week off. I work in an office and didn't share with anyone that I was having surgery. They thought I was on vacation. No issues going back to work other than the fatigue. You'll have low energy for several weeks so just listen to your body. Good luck!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve and took off 13 days from work. I'm a bus driver. Even though I'm sitting there are some demands on the body to do the job. I was driving my own car a week after surgery. My guess is that if you have a desk job 1-2 weeks should be fine. If it's a more physically demanding job than 2 weeks plus.
  • Gleno97
    Gleno97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada and I had the sleeve. It's quite common here to be off for anywhere between 4 to 8 weeks. I was off for 6 weeks. If your job consists of any heavy lifting they give you 6 weeks to recover without lifting anything over 10lbs during recovery. Also, a lot of restrictions. 4 weeks of milkshakes before surgery. Then no caffeine or alcohol for 6 months. Lifetime ban on carbonated beverages. Very strict, but they want you to succeed as its all paid for by the province. I am doing well and have lost 110lbs since the beginning of April. I'm very pleased with my results so far and I hope to continue to lose until I reach or exceed my goal. I feel blessed to have had this surgery.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Fantastic , Glen!
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Vsg took 13 days off I was ready to go back... Was getting bored at home.