Where do I begin....

Options
schnezana
schnezana Posts: 2 Member
I have added 30 pounds in the past year or so to my 5' 71/2" frame and I can barely get up from the floor without pulling myself up! I just turned 64 and I do not want to stay this way. Any help, ideas and support are very welcome. Where can I learn to use my dumb bells and how many reps do I need to do? What do I do with the resistance bands?

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    There are a few online resources that show you how to use dumbbells and resistance bands. I think the group Eat, Train, Progress might even have a forum post somewhere about how to do barbell workouts if you only have dumbbells (some full body routines focus on barbell weights but there are options/methods for dumbbells that help upper, lower and full body strength).

There is also bodybuilding.com, which has a section that shows different lifts based on equipment and where in the body it works. Most have videos to show how to perform them. Then there is youtube and fitness blender (I haven't used the second) that also provide visual help. Oh and sparkpeople.com also has some videos and articles that might be of help as well.

Even starting with push ups and bodyweight exercises might help as well. You can start working on pushups using a counter top or even the wall and work your way to lower inclines until you can do them on the ground. I used a rail at my gym and still do for warm up even though I can do some reps on the ground now. But look up some bodyweight exercises as well and that might help you functional wise.

Hope that helps.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I do yoga almost every morning prior to any strength training. The increased flexibility really helps loosen me up for the weights so I don't hurt myself. I mostly use dumbbells and body weight exercises right now, but I'm ready to graduate to the barbell. I have found a lot of great videos on YouTube to help with proper form.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    schnezana wrote: »
    I have added 30 pounds in the past year or so to my 5' 71/2" frame and I can barely get up from the floor without pulling myself up! I just turned 64 and I do not want to stay this way. Any help, ideas and support are very welcome. Where can I learn to use my dumb bells and how many reps do I need to do? What do I do with the resistance bands?

Check out the dumbbell resources in this post from the Eat, Train, Progress group, sarauk2sf knows her stuff.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569 using dumbells only no bar.