Anyone taking Lasix to lower blood pressure? it RAISES Blood Sugars!!

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
LASIX lowers BP..but RAISES Blood Sugars!!

Prescription LASIX is a stronger diuretic.. the group called 'Thiazides' are also for water release, but are milder acting. I was just switched..and am NOT happy with the new results.

It helps keep my BP down..BUT…after 2 weeks on this new med my BLOOD SUGAR is HOPPED UP**…I was finally at 97 FGB on my LC diet..

now it is ALWAYS 124/137 dawn effect, fasting, etc.… now at 3pm, with only a BPC & a hard boiled egg as intake my BG is 127..not good!!

I called my MD office and said I don't want to continue these. I need lower BP for my sole kidney health) but encouraging to Diabetes is NOT OK with me.

It took me a couple months of VLC to get <100 blood glucose…I do not see any advantage to staying on this Lasix..I'd have to lose another 50 pounds to possibly do the same thing as the med does…but by then will I have damaged blood glucose and may need Metaformin!!!!

If I hadn't bought a BGM..I'd be going along with this!

anyone else taking Lasix?
++++++++++++++++++++++
from website:
QUESTION: How does [LASIX] furosemide affect blood glucose level? Does it lower or increase glucose levels? If I am diabetic, can I still take it?

ANSWER: Furosemide, as an adverse effect, causes an increase in the blood glucose level, which is called hyperglycemia.

The known mechanisms through which it increases blood sugar are as following:
Through slowing down the glucose transportation rate in the fat cells.
In the muscles, it adversely effects the processes that utilize glucose like glycolysis and phosphorylation.
In other words, furosemide decreases the utilization of the glucose in the body, which results in high blood glucose levels.

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I used to take Lasix for a couple of years for water retention problems that no one could diagnose. It raised my blood glucose but doctors said not to worry because it wasn't too high, from 70s to low 100s but not 126. Then my kidneys started to fail and I had to stop and also stopped keto upon medical advice. Kidneys improved, blood glucose back down, swelling still a painful problem, blood pressure high now so I just started taking Lisinopril. I need to see if that affects BG. Ugh!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I reacted to the sun when on Lisinopril, but it's a rare side effect apparently. I'm on altenelol now, and it's amazing. I haven't found any side effects yet.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely in the sun. What was the reaction you got KoM? Lisinopril is said to be less harsh on the kidneys, has no effect on the liver and may even lower blood glucose.

I no longer test my blood glucose but I have not felt any of my old symptoms from when it used to be high since starting HBP medication last month.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I'm rarely in the sun. What was the reaction you got KoM? Lisinopril is said to be less harsh on the kidneys, has no effect on the liver and may even lower blood glucose.

I no longer test my blood glucose but I have not felt any of my old symptoms from when it used to be high since starting HBP medication last month.

I developed massive sensitivity to the sun. I'm already prone to sunburn and such because I'm of mainly European ancestry, but with the Lisinopril, I could walk across the parking lot to my car and get an instant rash on my forearms and chest. Or on my arm from driving home the 3 miles from the sun through my car window. It was crazy. Anything more than that and I'd get massive crazy sunburns... It took me almost a month after stopping the medication to stop burning instantly like that. It is a moderately rare side effect - I just got it with crazy intensity...
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    LASIX lowers BP..but RAISES Blood Sugars!!

Prescription LASIX is a stronger diuretic.. the group called 'Thiazides' are also for water release, but are milder acting. I was just switched..and am NOT happy with the new results.

It helps keep my BP down..BUT…after 2 weeks on this new med my BLOOD SUGAR is HOPPED UP**…I was finally at 97 FGB on my LC diet..

now it is ALWAYS 124/137 dawn effect, fasting, etc.… now at 3pm, with only a BPC & a hard boiled egg as intake my BG is 127..not good!!

I called my MD office and said I don't want to continue these. I need lower BP for my sole kidney health) but encouraging to Diabetes is NOT OK with me.

It took me a couple months of VLC to get <100 blood glucose…I do not see any advantage to staying on this Lasix..I'd have to lose another 50 pounds to possibly do the same thing as the med does…but by then will I have damaged blood glucose and may need Metaformin!!!!

If I hadn't bought a BGM..I'd be going along with this!

anyone else taking Lasix?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    from website:
    QUESTION: How does [LASIX] furosemide affect blood glucose level? Does it lower or increase glucose levels? If I am diabetic, can I still take it?

ANSWER: Furosemide, as an adverse effect, causes an increase in the blood glucose level, which is called hyperglycemia.

The known mechanisms through which it increases blood sugar are as following:
    Through slowing down the glucose transportation rate in the fat cells.
    In the muscles, it adversely effects the processes that utilize glucose like glycolysis and phosphorylation.
    In other words, furosemide decreases the utilization of the glucose in the body, which results in high blood glucose levels.

I was on Lasix for awhile, combined with Spironlactone. I didn't notice that much of a benefit past just using Spironlactone, so I cut it out. Now I'm glad I did!

• deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That is unfortunate. My aunt has been diagnosed with stage 4 CKD and high blood pressure. She has all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome which is pushing all the buttons for diabetes. She is on an extremely high dose of Lasix and tons of other meds.

She doesn't get the link between diet and lifestyle and her health. She relies on meds to alleviate her symptoms and when they fail she doesn't have a good word for the care she gets. I don't think she is alone in this attitude. I think it exemplifies what is wrong with American healthcare. Give me a pill so I can continue my unhealthy lifestyle.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Deoxy4..how right you are… I read that Nephrologists and other medical staff see people's failure to help themselves, or follow non-medical advice like changing diet, etc..and so they give up on us. we are prolly in the 2-5%of patents who WILL give up whatever is needed to lower BG or improve kidney function.

The Nephs are primed to deal with you by stage 4-5--for dialysis…so they are not going to tell you to go vegetarian, etc, because the chances aer you'll be anemic, and cause them problems in treating you….can't have that.

Your Aunt has NO IDEA what faces her in dialysis, if she gets that far… while I will do absolutely ANYTHING to avoid that life…. just a few days of reading one Dialysis user site scared the crap outa me.

As a whole I see most Americans ATTITUDE reflected in the "MY 600# Life" TV show..NONE of them made any effort to eat 1200 calories, or change diet AT ALL..they just repeat over and over. "This (bariatric surgery) is my LAST chance, I have to have this surgery to save my life!!!" LOTS OF DRAMA.....then the next thing you see them ticked off at the Dr.s and staff, refusing to walk 10 ft, or leave the bed, or deluding themselves the Dr "doesn't understand"…. and chowing down on the worst fast foods, cake, etc Only a few stick it out.

despite it being a 'fake reality' show these are real people who fail at every turn, others who collude with them..and I wonder " are we really that dumb as a nation?" those people have mental health traumas, like many drug users, and yet with all the help, and free education, and clinics and FDA interceding…NONE of them are smart enough to change what they do.

they ALL have computers and ability to learn anything for themselves..do the bother? NO.

(as a small example) there is a huge privately funded pilot program class on "Living with chronic Pain" - everyone there has weight problems- we go thru 8 weeks of meetings to teach us diet, and health and choices..etc etc…what is on the table at every meeting "COOKIES- donuts"…now the POINT of this class is to teach CHOICES

..when I challenged the fatso lady running it..her excuse was "people come here without lunch"..huh?

it is 2pm.. so if you, as an ADULT, can't FEED yourself a lunch before class, then we are going to feed you MORE sugar so you get sicker and wider while you site here learning to eat better? is that what I am being told?

she was offended I said a word..and the next time there were were a few apples..then back to more junk food..excuses, excuses all the time.

the people who DO are here...
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've been on lasix and HCTZ before, and those are very powerful diuretics, and short acting, too, so most folks have to take them more than once per day. I've also been on spironolactone, for 11 years. All of this is due to dilated cardiomyopathy. I do not have high blood pressure at all, in fact, it is often very, very low, esp. the bottom number. The last reading I had at the doctor was a 55 on the bottom number.

Anyway, I'm on Dyrenium now. I don't know what side effects it may have, but it could be another option to look into.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Metolazone is drug of choice for renal impairment; it's thiazide-like, however it's site of action is in the proximal convoluted tubule as opposed to distal for thiazes and ascending loop of Henle for Loop diuretics. Niche advantage of Metolazone being that it's safe to use with creatinine clearance less than 30mL/min.

Dietary CKD restrictions are nearly impossible...restrict phosphate....ummm phosphate is in just about everything. Although significantly more phosphates are in preserved ("processed") foods. DASH diet, exercise, weight loss, salt restriction, and EtOH moderation combined can lower SBP roughly 20-30mmHg. Protecting against organ damage from high BP using meds is necessary as an adjunct to lifestyle changes as these take time to achieve, whereas BP lowering effects of ACEs, ARBs, LDs, thiazides, CCBs, BBs, K+SDs, alpha-2 agonists, alpha-1 antagonists, vasodilators, neurolysin-inhibitors (new class!), etc. are fairly fast acting (necessary for preventing organ damage/hypertensive urgency). CKD in particular has more stringent BP goals of 130/80mmHg.

Dynerium is more so helpful in sparing potassium as spironolactone; both very weak in terms of diuresis.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    V-keto-V…looks like this drug does the same thing as Lasix in raising BG? using them together seems like a problem.

can you please convert Creatinine you gave? mine is 1.7 wondering why the Neph chose Lasix over Meto.

I'd rather keep the Thiazide and lower BP as weight goes than start up with adding BG issues too!

Ref: Metolazone tablets, USP, and furosemide administered concurrently have produced marked diuresis in some patients where edema or ascites was refractory to treatment with maximum recommended doses of these or other diuretics administered alone."""""
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    They generally aren't used in combo with each other; however, metolazone is the weaker option for diuresis having the advantage of being less reliant on kidney function. Pretty much all diuretics increase blood glucose because they cause hypovolemia transiently (overall blood volume decreases slightly whilst total blood glucose is constant, which increases blood glucose concentration).

The only "diuretic" that doesn't raise BG is not technically considered a traditional diuretic...referring to the Sodium Glucose co-Transport inhibitors (canagliflozin, dapagliflozin, and empagliflozin...many others in phase 3 trials currently). This new class is for type 2 diabetics currently (investigationally being used in type 1 diabetics). They essentially prevent reabsorption of glucose from the proximal tubules of the kidneys...end result being urine rich in glucose.

Furosemide or any loop diuretic is often chosen just due to potency vs. other diuretics. Max dose can go up to 600mg/day but even higher in CKD.
    Look up Cockcroft-Gault to estimate creatinine clearance...you need to know serum creatinine, age, ideal body weight or adjusted body weight, and gender. Might not be accurate for someone with 1 kidney though.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ty for this information. I started Atkins in March. Still in the "learning" stage as far as staying in or out of ketosis. Actually, my glucose readings dropped dramatically after about a week. And I was trying hard to get at least a gallon of water every day (plus coffee, plus diet soda or tea), so I spent so much time in the bathroom I decided I didn't need the furosemide any more, and Dr. told me not to take the potassium supplement (prescription horse pill) if I didn't take the furosemide, so I dropped both of those.

Glucose readings continued to go down. Have been in normal range for the past month. A1C's have been normal for 3 months (going back for more next week). So I have now dropped the metformin also. I wondered why the faster drop in glucose readings after I stopped the furosemide. Now I know.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Saraphim….. yep, I even read the THiazides also up the BG.. your A1C shows the LAST 3 months of red blood cells, so every test is showing the past, not the current status..but keeping to LC helps normalize.

a gallon of water PLUS all the other liquids in your foods, and drinks may be too much…we are sold on this water drinking, but you can actually WASH OUT vital nutrients and minerals by OVER drinking liquids, and if you have kidney issues you can damage them further, and your BP is forced to change to deal with the loss of electrolytes, going up and down, etc..

don't torment yourself that so much water is best, if you enjoy it it..maybe, but it may not be necessary for you. your age, health, etc will determine how much fluids you need.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    TY KETOGENIC. I'm still pretty new at this, but it seems to be working well. Will try cutting back water, since it's a nuisance, and I don't even like the water here (Charleston) even after it's filtered. I put a couple slices of lemon or lime in the pitcher.