Uric Acid

toadqueen
toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/241767-overview "Hyperuricemia"
Author: Yasir Qazi, MD; Chief Editor: Vecihi Batuman, MD more...

Ketogenicgurl recently posted about the impact of fructose and uric acid and how it affects our kidneys. It immediately raised a flag with me because I usually have high uric acid levels and was told not to worry about it for years.

I am attempting to post a follow-up article that I read today. This is my first time trying.

The recommended diet is low-purine diet
Eat: sugars, starches, and fats, with protein supplied by eggs and cheese.
Avoid: Meats, poultry, fish, seafood, organ meats, alcohol, beans, and peas should be avoided.

This won't work for me or most of us here.

I think my high levels were brought about by very low calorie eating, long fasts, and strenuous exercise in conjunction with already existing metabolic issue, pituitary tumor, PCOS, Hashimoto's (undiagnosed) and being overweight. I am asymptomatic which is why I was told to just ignore it. I think I both underexcrete and overproduce. I am sensitive to fructose, salicylates, and peas which are all mentioned in the article.

I will ask my doctor to check these levels at my next evaluation.

Thank you Ketogenicgurl!

Replies

• V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2015
    Serum Uric acid > 6mg/dL (hyperuricemia, level for women) doesn't necessarily mean Gout. Presence of MSU (mono-sodium-irate crystals in synovial fluid) is more indicative of Gout. I wouldn't worry unless clearly symptomatic. Hyperuricemia alone does not require any treatment or dietary intervention. Interestingly, humans are one of the few animals which lack Uricase, an enzyme to convert allantoin into a more water soluble byproduct for renal excretion.

Dietary purine restriction does very little to affect UA levels; prophylactic treatment with Xanthine Oxidase inhibitors are much more effective for prevention of flares (allopurinol or fubuxostat). Drug induced gout: niacin/B3 (high, high doses used in hyperlipidemia), salicylates (I.e. Aspirin, drugs ending in -salisate), T.B. Combo (Rifampin, Isoniazid, Pyrazamidine, Ethambutol), EtOH, Diuretics (furosemide, bumetanide, torsemide, ethacrynic acid, hydrochlorothiazide, chlorthalidone, triamterene, amiloride, etc.), cyclosporine, tacrolimus.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Thank you V_Keto_V - I have to restrict my diet enough as it is. I am not taking any of the medications you listed. I use to take furosemide (Lasix). My levels were high when on it and when not on it.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    V-keto-v..thanks for the info…not happy to see contribution to BG & uric acid are the Lasix and Thaizides..sigh

Toadqueen..I just STOPPED taking Lasix after 2 weeks… the high blood sugar alarmed me, (130-147 FBG!!!)
    and during that time I had INTENSE debilitating hip muscle pain, badly could walk, needed an icepack constantly.

then reread the Negative on Lasix..it is contraindicated for Diabetics ( I am prolly Prediabetic already) AND it causes intense muscle cramps..now, that is NOT indicative it was directly related my hip pain, but since I am taking Magnesium and have no leg foot cramps I could ONLY assume it must be this diuretic!!

I tend to think of water pills as 'less' dangerous..but the info sheet says it is a SERIOUS medication… yikes!

I went back to my Thiazide, and when I see the doc in Aug we can discuss what else to do. MY BP may continue to go down with weight loss..and removed kidney burden..but going to Diabetic mode is NOT acceptable an option, especially having CKD and only one kidney already!

I've read a handful of almonds a day can replace aspirin benefits..whihc works for LC.

Also I do follow a Plant base LCHF diet..lots of saturated fats with butter, coconut oil…nuts, and eggs, cheese hempseed, pumpkin seeds for protein, all my veggies provide small level protein too..I lost 12 pounds on a semi- meat based LCHF..then another 14 lbs on Plant based..so I CAN be done, depending on the NEEDs of the person.

I sound like a broken record on FINDING UT one's kidney health before going on a year long serious LC diet…20 million Americans DON'T know they have silent kidney issues..once function is GONE it is GONE…and healthy people are not the main followers of LCHF…add in many other metabolic and health issues for overweight people, and caution should be the watchword.