Too much protein!

Options
moss11
moss11 Posts: 236 Member
Hi
Think I am running a bit high on the protein. Trying for 65% fat 20% protein rest carbs. Not aiming for full keto, but find this way of eating really helpful with cravings and satisfaction. Find it hard getting my head round this much fat but not complaining as it seems to suit me. Food I enjoy would be like salmon, chicken, roast beef, cheese, Philadelphia ,peanut butter, butter and coconut oil. Just seem to go over on the protein too easily. Is there anything different to get the fat but monitor protein?
Thanks

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Take more shots of coconut oil/extra virgin olive oil during the day.

Eat only one serving size for protein item during meals.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    I looked at your diary and your fat vs protein numbers look fine too me.

Mine are set for 5% carbs, 30% Protein and 65% Fats and most of the time my protein and fat numbers are pretty close together.
    I eat mostly meat so I just try and make sure I get in enough fat while staying low on carbs and don't worry about my protein number.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks really solid, so good job on that.

A lot of the ladies find higher fat macros improve their results. I typically target 70-75% fat, 5% carbs, and 20-25% protein.

A couple of thoughts. Consider adding something like bulletproof coffee, or even a fat bomb in. They can boost your fats up nicely, and create some tolerance for other parts of the day when protein might be up a bit. More mayo, butter, salad dressings all can boost the fat while not impacting your protein levels.
  • moss11
    Options
    Great replies, thank you! Probably still not fully accepting that I can actually eat much more fat than I ever thought possible. My cravings and hunger have really reduced on this woe but it just seems so dang contradictory after 45 years of keeping fat as low as possible. Brainwashed I guess :-). Good idea dividing my protein into three meals to not go overboard, will try that. Not finding cutting down on carbs too difficult, that must be due to the fat as well. Think I will put the food I intend to have into my diary prior to cooking/preparing it, if I have time, that will help me plan better.
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    I know, I was the same, pretty crazy isn't it?
    Some websites for higher %fat ideas:
    Dana Carpender "Fat Fast Cookbook" - everything is good. Hot breakfast "cereal" and "bread" (nuts and flax) are fantastic
    www.Reddit.com/r/keto
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
    www.holdthetoast.com – dana carpender flax granola yum
    www.carbsmart.com
    www.fatfast.com
    Laura Dolson
    LowCarbFriends
    Pinterest

More specific low-protein ideas (in addition to above suggestions) are things like olive tapenade made with parmesan and pine nuts on crudite, 1oz of macadamias, pecans toasted in oil, Creamed spinach, Shiritaki Alfredo/Carbonara, Boursin cheese stuffed mushrooms, whitefish salad, Fried Chicken skins or Fish skins (chitterlings). If you are less carb intolerant "green bean fries" , "jicama fries" not that anything "fried" is the optimal choice, just make sure to use a higher heat friendly oil (unfortunately no unrefined coconut for frying, but great for everything else). Also, MCT oil (a coconut derivative) for boosting ketogenesis. Find this in the sports section at vitamin cottage or other...NOW brand has a good one.
    Good luck
  • moss11
    Options
    That's a comprehensive list thank you. I will look into those. When I am busy it's just too easy to go to meat, I will need to check out some of those recipes and prepare something in advance. Never heard of fried chicken or fish skin!! I live in Scotland maybe that's why. I am using virgin coconut oil for frying at breakfast time, is that okay? Going to check some of those websites :-)
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    Virgin (unrefined) coconut oil is not meant for heating. The refined ones more so, but of course...irefined means less benefits. Fried pork fat (crispy, chip-like food) is called chitterlings, "chittlin's" in the south, or "pork rinds". There are a myriad, creative ways of utilizing these both for sweet and savory dishes (google or look around on myfitnesspal) everything from breakfast cereal to breading. There is a recipie for using pork rinds in the Dana Carpender "Fat Fast Cookbook" ($5 ebook download) and also in the Dr. Atkins books.

For those who do not prefer pork, chicken skins and fish skins (like salmone) can be prepared in the same way. However, I don't believe the flavors are similar at all. The fish counter may not even charge you for fish skins which they will usually give you if you call ahead. In Hungary, fried chicken skins are a delicacy called Toporto (tuh-purr-tuh) and are served as a cracker-like accompaniment for soup. Go figure. I have had plenty of chicken and fish skins fried and they are to die for. Pork rinds are available in the grocery stores in the U.S., otherwise homemade takes some time to make. On the upside, you will have the advantage of being left with all the seasoned fat that is rendered out of the homemade ones. Add sliced onions during frying to kick it up a notch. Enjoy.