New. Found THE support group I needed.

Options
mydogtrisha
mydogtrisha Posts: 5 Member
I eat first and then try to retrofit an emotion to justify. Eating after 7pm through ... Well sometimes 9 and at times 2am - the battle rages. Spirit over flesh. Flesh (tongue, munchie sounds win over the determination most of the times. That's where your support will come in handy. Looking fwd to support - give and take!!!

Replies

• mydogtrisha
    mydogtrisha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will keep posting my daily after 7pm transgressions!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it so much. Especially on the weekends, the snack is about 9:30pm.. but I just build it into my diet. Of course I am a late eater. I can't stand to eat before 10 am. (Well, right now I am on "vacation" so I don't get up before 10) but even in normal times, I am up at 7, but don't eat until 10, except a little pot of tea. So I have a smaller lunch or breakfast, eat a normal dinner and build in a snack into my calorie/carb intake. I am tired of feeling guilty over food!
  • nikky650
    nikky650 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One of the best things i learnt about my emotional eating was that i wasn't quite on the auto pilot binge i thought I was. Once i started paying attention i could see the storm clouds brewing and do something other than stand in the kitchen.
  • grimarye1964
    grimarye1964 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm an emotional eater in that I eat to avoid any emotions - blind eating. At night is the worst. Trying to watch what I eat particularly at night and all I think about is eating. How can I stop this pattern? I want to be in control.... :*
  • grimarye1964
    grimarye1964 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found that this morning I had used up nearly all of my calories for breakfast - Not a good start for today

• fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm an emotional eater in that I eat to avoid any emotions - blind eating. At night is the worst. Trying to watch what I eat particularly at night and all I think about is eating. How can I stop this pattern? I want to be in control.... :*
    I do that too! What are you doing while you were "blind eating"? My biggest thing was to veg in front of the TV and consume anything and everything to avoid "feeling". I had to stop watching tv at night and just go to bed. You cant eat while you are sleeping!! Find something to distract yourself, use positive thinking.
    Get on MFP, call a friend- anything you can to replace the habit of numbing with food. I have also had to go to counseling to deal the the source of my food issues. It is a hard road, but totally worth it.
  • nikky650
    nikky650 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find if I do something with my hands it helps. I have recently started knitting. Its productive, i cant eat doing it and its better than being on my phone all the time.
  • leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I can totally relate to the late night cravings.

I also boredom/sad-eat during the day because my husband and I are expats and I am not allowed to work/study on my visa at the moment. So I am at home.... alone.... No one watching my snacking or Netflix watching....

Here is a little of what I do to keep my emotional/mindless eating at bay:
    - Eat protein at the start of the day (boiled egg); it is like it puts me in the right mindset for the entire day.
    - Ensure that dinner has a good amount of protein, some grain and lots of veggies (at least half of my plate). I often find myself desperately craving more if my meal was nutritionally unsatisfying.
    - Plan ahead a portion-controlled dessert and enjoy guilt-free! Quell the fuel to the emotional eating fire! There are heaps of 100 cal desserts for sweet tooths - many of them freezable.
    - Clean and tidy everything in your sight - it might help keep your mind off things.
    - Limit TV watching; this is a terrible trigger for me.
    - A friend recommended zentangle and I find drawing patterns very soothing. It helps me focus my mind on something else other than food and helps to settle the raging emotional eating desires. Then all of a sudden, I am ready for bed!

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself. Habits are very difficult to break and reform; otherwise why would we all be here?