Skin moles, skin tags

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
I had 3 skin moles, two on my belly which have been there about as long as I can remember, and one on my neck which appeared in the last 10 years or so. Within a month after starting LC one on my belly started feeling irritated, and got a bubble in it like a zit. I pinched it and for about a week it was irritated and scabby, but now it is gone. No more raised mole lump, just like a little freckle. A couple of weeks later, the other mole on my belly started doing the same thing. That one healed up just a little bit raised and pink. Not big and brown like before. Now the one on my neck is doing the same thing. I hesitate to pick at it because it is in a visible place so I'm trying to leave it alone.

I know everywhere you read it says if you have a change in a mole then go see a doctor, but I've never heard of them like disappearing before. Also read that skin tags are a sign of insulin resistance and those shrink with LC eating, and my SO has them and they are shrinking.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that. I have a couple skin tags on my neck. Not very big to start with but I swear I think they are smaller as I just checked them! Suggestion maybe? Lol I am not insulin resistant at all so mine have no connection to that. Just a moley person I guess. Lol
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My husband has loads of skin tags! My total carb daughter just got one too!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had lots of skins tags on my neck for years that are now gone. I am insulin resistant and was diabetic. I didn't even realize until now. I have (had??) one mole on my back since childhood. I will have to ask someone (mom) if it is still there.
  • DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've only recently discovered that skin tags are linked to IR. I started developing a lot as I got older, been LCing for 7 months now and they're all gradually shrivelling and disappearing. Amazing really.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is cool. I had a skintag on my inner thigh, I just checked and it's gone!
  • bernadettemariev
    bernadettemariev Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I had one on my neck since I was about 6, one night being sick of looking at it I removed it myself. Two weeks later three popped up on the other side of my neck. I figured I was just going to have to live with it. But just now I checked them out and they do appear to be smaller! I could have saved myself a little pain had I known about this sooner...
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I don't have a history of skin tags, but I have noticed that my KP on my arms is much less noticeable now.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just read this today. Good stuff.

http://tiphero.com/skin-tag-facts-removal-myths/
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Interesting that a couple of the pictures show what I would consider moles instead of skin tags. I have heard of some of these removal techniques before.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Oh good you guys. I was going to make an appointment to have the two unsightly tags on the front of my neck removed by a dermatologist, for vanity reasons. But after reading all these testimonies about disappearing skin tags, I think I'll wait 6 months and see!

ETA: My A1Cs and my fasting glucoses are consistently perfect and within normal range and always were, even when I was eating 400 to 600 grams of carb a day (which I did for almost my whole life). Yet I have skin tags on the neck, armpits and groin which are consistent with symptoms of metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance). I find it curious that, if this is the case, why a resistance to insulin wouldn't be reflected in my blood sugar results? I've not been medically diagnosed with insulin resistance. I work as a nurse and don't know of such a laboratory test in mainstream medical which would diagnose "insulin resistance" or disorders related to that. We only go by blood sugar results. Maybe there is a specialized test given by a D.O. or an M.D. in an alternative healthcare setting which details the results of "insulin resistance".

My A1C and fasting glucose has always been in range, too. However, there is a separate test, FASTING INSULIN, required to diagnose insulin resistance, which I have. The two results will eventually meet up and be indicative of one another, but that's usually after decades of abusing one's body. Other signs I had are shadowing in delicate areas of the skin or where skin touches such as inner elbows, neck folds, eyelids. Yes, I have a plethora of skin tags, and if you look up insulin resistance, there are a ton of other indicators.

Fasting insulin is a simple a test as fasting glucose, as far as lab draw, but it is not a common test unless you have an endocrinologist or factors for it. My PCP should have tested this years back, but freaked out when she saw the labwork my endo had received back...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Oh good you guys. I was going to make an appointment to have the two unsightly tags on the front of my neck removed by a dermatologist, for vanity reasons. But after reading all these testimonies about disappearing skin tags, I think I'll wait 6 months and see!

ETA: My A1Cs and my fasting glucoses are consistently perfect and within normal range and always were, even when I was eating 400 to 600 grams of carb a day (which I did for almost my whole life). Yet I have skin tags on the neck, armpits and groin which are consistent with symptoms of metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance). I find it curious that, if this is the case, why a resistance to insulin wouldn't be reflected in my blood sugar results? I've not been medically diagnosed with insulin resistance. I work as a nurse and don't know of such a laboratory test in mainstream medical which would diagnose "insulin resistance" or disorders related to that. We only go by blood sugar results. Maybe there is a specialized test given by a D.O. or an M.D. in an alternative healthcare setting which details the results of "insulin resistance".

My A1C and fasting glucose has always been in range, too. However, there is a separate test, FASTING INSULIN, required to diagnose insulin resistance, which I have. The two results will eventually meet up and be indicative of one another, but that's usually after decades of abusing one's body. Other signs I had are shadowing in delicate areas of the skin or where skin touches such as inner elbows, neck folds, eyelids. Yes, I have a plethora of skin tags, and if you look up insulin resistance, there are a ton of other indicators.

Fasting insulin is a simple a test as fasting glucose, as far as lab draw, but it is not a common test unless you have an endocrinologist or factors for it. My PCP should have tested this years back, but freaked out when she saw the labwork my endo had received back...

Interesting. I fill out the requisitions for the M.D. ordered labs at my job and had never seen a check box for "fasting insulin".

This is really helpful information Knit. Thank you!

I don't know what else it might be called, but it would definitely have "insulin" in it, as far as I know. It might not be in the same category - maybe under hormone or endocrine tests?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    It is the weirdest thing, the one on my neck is going through the scabby phase now. But now I notice a very tiny mole on the inner arm by my elbow and now that is really irritated and sore. I don't think I ever really noticed that there was even a mole there, but I guess it must have been there but flat like a freckle. Now it is raised.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I still have a mole on my back but I had that since a young child way before my hormones went screwy. Skin tags all gone.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sore scabby itchy moles those that change shape colour or become raised or bleed should be checked out asap...
  • deksgrl
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Sore scabby itchy moles should be checked out asap...

Yes, that is what I always heard, but the one disappeared entirely. The other healed smaller than it was before, and this one appears to be on its way to healing if not disappearing entirely. And it has to be related to changing my way of eating for them all to be cycling through these phases. How can they check out an itchy scabby that isn't there any more?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I've only recently discovered that skin tags are linked to IR. I started developing a lot as I got older, been LCing for 7 months now and they're all gradually shrivelling and disappearing. Amazing really.

What is IR?
  • deksgrl
    Options

What is IR?

Insulin Resistance.

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

What is IR?

Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    92 pounds down, 32 to go.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, I just checked and all the tiny skin tags on my armpits are gone, a large one on my leg that I have had for twenty years is half the size, and one on my lashline has reduced significantly...