Any 5:2 dieters here?

Options
Mrsshellers
Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
I was just wondering if anyone in the UK group is trying/doing/maintaining the 5:2 diet, I start my first fast day tomorrow and i think I am going to need to moral support!

Replies

• Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So far I have only tried calorie counting and a bit more exercise than what I would normally do and it seems to be working but I'm sure I will hit a plateau at some time. I have thought that when I do I will switch it up to another system like the 5:2 but feel free to ask for moral support tomorrow. Good luck
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Thanks - this is the big push for my honeymoon in 37 days! I shouldn't need too much motivating (because the bikini should be doing that!) but I might feel weak and need a kick up the bum!
  • Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is for a wedding as well. My sister gets married in 52 days :)
    I, on the other hand have been married and divorced twice and you won't catch me doing it again lol.
    In all seriousness, congratulations and I wish you all the best for the future.

xx
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Cheers :) I got married 7 months ago so the weight has slowly crept on in such a small amount of time! But I really want to aim to get to my wedding weight and stick there at least until we have a baby!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I don't do 5:2, but here's a link to the MFP group on IF (Intermittent Fasting) which is pretty much the same thing.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    I think thats something different? But I'll take a look. Thanks
  • mounty89
    mounty89 Posts: 41
    Options
    Yeah there are differences between the 5:2 and intermittent fasting.

5:2 is based on days, 2 days of 500 calories~ and the other 5 days eating as you would usually.

Intermittent fasting is usually 16:8 where you have a 16 hour fast and 8 hour feeding window. Of course you cant pig out on the 8 hours and need to track your calories.

5:2 seems to be a good quick fix for getting people into dieting but peronsally i couldn't function on 500 calories in a day.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,797 Member
    Options
    My lifelong usual eating pattern is similar to intermittent fasting and I didn't even realise this way of eating had a name!

I usually don't eat anything until I've been up 4 or 5 hours, which means I have breakfast at about 9.30am, and I'm usually done eating by 7.30pm, which means that I'm fasting for 14 hours and eating for 10 hours. If I eat later in the evening (say 9pm or 10pm) I tend to skip breakfast entirely the next day as I'm just not that hungry the following morning.

Whilst intermittent fasting is just business as usual for me, 5:2 doesn't appeal to me at all. I've been eating 1100 calories a day for the past month and it's hard to get in all my nutrients in such a small amount of calories, so with 500 calories it would be nearly impossible.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
  • lyndyloolaa
    lyndyloolaa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm doing the 5:2 fast at the moment; I'm in week 2 and just done day 3 in total! I have to say it was harder to start than it has been to continue...I hardly felt hungry at all on my last fast day! Feel free to add me as a friend, moral support is always good! :) x
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    I'll be honest this is a quick fix for me to lose a few extra lbs before I go on honeymoon, I dont think I will be able to keep it up as a way of life, I realise however that once I start eating "normally" again I'll expect to see a gain so I am not thinking this is a long term fix but definitely worth it if I look good in a bikini!

I'll be back to MFP after my honeymoon but I am hoping not to get anywhere near the weight I was when I started here again after my wedding.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started 5:2 yesterday :happy: Hope you enjoy it :flowerforyou:
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    did it yesterday for the first time, its no big deal as any faster will tell you, the anticipation is worse than the reality :smile:
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Well its 11.20 and I am keeping myself busy until lunchtime! Have been feeling a bit peckish but nothing major
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Well I made it through the first fast! *yay*

If anyone is interested I am blogging about it here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/daisykitten
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Congrats !!

I usually fast three days a week. Mon weds and Friday but weds can also be a normal day if required.

It helped me lose those last few pounds and keeps my nightime snack monster in check.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 have been since April and down 15lb. I love it. Stopped for the past fortnight as had a lot on and this first week back was hard. Hope you all find it as good as I have!
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Its going ok, I found yesterday (first day after my first fast) I wasnt that hungry and didnt eat my daily allowance. I also felt more tired when running but I am putting that down to a lack of fuel but I hope each fast day I will feel an improvement!
  • jennimc13
    jennimc13 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am just about to start my 5th week. First week was a little tough but it is definately getting easier. I make sure I am organised on fast days, make a pot of homemade carrot soup (filling and low calories) and take plenty of water out with me to work. So far so good :)
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Second fast day for me today and I am a little stressed out personally so I dont feel like eating anyways - lets see how the day pans out