Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any 5:2 dieters here?

Mrsshellers
Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
I was just wondering if anyone in the UK group is trying/doing/maintaining the 5:2 diet, I start my first fast day tomorrow and i think I am going to need to moral support!

Replies

• Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    So far I have only tried calorie counting and a bit more exercise than what I would normally do and it seems to be working but I'm sure I will hit a plateau at some time. I have thought that when I do I will switch it up to another system like the 5:2 but feel free to ask for moral support tomorrow. Good luck
  • Mrsshellers
    Thanks - this is the big push for my honeymoon in 37 days! I shouldn't need too much motivating (because the bikini should be doing that!) but I might feel weak and need a kick up the bum!
  • Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    My weight loss is for a wedding as well. My sister gets married in 52 days :)
    I, on the other hand have been married and divorced twice and you won't catch me doing it again lol.
    In all seriousness, congratulations and I wish you all the best for the future.

xx
  • Mrsshellers
    Cheers :) I got married 7 months ago so the weight has slowly crept on in such a small amount of time! But I really want to aim to get to my wedding weight and stick there at least until we have a baby!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    I don't do 5:2, but here's a link to the MFP group on IF (Intermittent Fasting) which is pretty much the same thing.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • Mrsshellers
    I think thats something different? But I'll take a look. Thanks
  • mounty89
    mounty89 Posts: 41
    Yeah there are differences between the 5:2 and intermittent fasting.

5:2 is based on days, 2 days of 500 calories~ and the other 5 days eating as you would usually.

Intermittent fasting is usually 16:8 where you have a 16 hour fast and 8 hour feeding window. Of course you cant pig out on the 8 hours and need to track your calories.

5:2 seems to be a good quick fix for getting people into dieting but peronsally i couldn't function on 500 calories in a day.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,318 Member
    My lifelong usual eating pattern is similar to intermittent fasting and I didn't even realise this way of eating had a name!

I usually don't eat anything until I've been up 4 or 5 hours, which means I have breakfast at about 9.30am, and I'm usually done eating by 7.30pm, which means that I'm fasting for 14 hours and eating for 10 hours. If I eat later in the evening (say 9pm or 10pm) I tend to skip breakfast entirely the next day as I'm just not that hungry the following morning.

Whilst intermittent fasting is just business as usual for me, 5:2 doesn't appeal to me at all. I've been eating 1100 calories a day for the past month and it's hard to get in all my nutrients in such a small amount of calories, so with 500 calories it would be nearly impossible.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
  • lyndyloolaa
    lyndyloolaa Posts: 79 Member
    Hi there, I'm doing the 5:2 fast at the moment; I'm in week 2 and just done day 3 in total! I have to say it was harder to start than it has been to continue...I hardly felt hungry at all on my last fast day! Feel free to add me as a friend, moral support is always good! :) x
  • Mrsshellers
    I'll be honest this is a quick fix for me to lose a few extra lbs before I go on honeymoon, I dont think I will be able to keep it up as a way of life, I realise however that once I start eating "normally" again I'll expect to see a gain so I am not thinking this is a long term fix but definitely worth it if I look good in a bikini!

I'll be back to MFP after my honeymoon but I am hoping not to get anywhere near the weight I was when I started here again after my wedding.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Hi! I started 5:2 yesterday :happy: Hope you enjoy it :flowerforyou:
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    did it yesterday for the first time, its no big deal as any faster will tell you, the anticipation is worse than the reality :smile:
  • Mrsshellers
    Well its 11.20 and I am keeping myself busy until lunchtime! Have been feeling a bit peckish but nothing major
  • Mrsshellers
    Well I made it through the first fast! *yay*

If anyone is interested I am blogging about it here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/daisykitten
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Congrats !!

I usually fast three days a week. Mon weds and Friday but weds can also be a normal day if required.

It helped me lose those last few pounds and keeps my nightime snack monster in check.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    I do 5:2 have been since April and down 15lb. I love it. Stopped for the past fortnight as had a lot on and this first week back was hard. Hope you all find it as good as I have!
  • Mrsshellers
    Its going ok, I found yesterday (first day after my first fast) I wasnt that hungry and didnt eat my daily allowance. I also felt more tired when running but I am putting that down to a lack of fuel but I hope each fast day I will feel an improvement!
  • jennimc13
    jennimc13 Posts: 37
    I am just about to start my 5th week. First week was a little tough but it is definately getting easier. I make sure I am organised on fast days, make a pot of homemade carrot soup (filling and low calories) and take plenty of water out with me to work. So far so good :)
  • Mrsshellers
    Second fast day for me today and I am a little stressed out personally so I dont feel like eating anyways - lets see how the day pans out