Possible shoulder tendinitis

Options
nossmf
nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
My shoulders have been paining me for a couple months now. When the pain first flared up I took a couple weeks off from the gym, and the worst of the pain disappeared. But my range of motion remains restricted weeks later, with accompanying pain and occasional popping.

My admittedly amateur research says I may have developed tendinitis in my shoulders. Barring visits to the doctor, the number one remedy is simply time spent away from whatever activity caused the problem. In my case, that's probably weight lifting.

Thus I intend to take the next 3 months off from lifting upper body, see if time heals all wounds as they say. I'm not asking for an official prognosis from anybody, but do you think I could continue lifting for my legs during this span, or would I be better served quitting lifting completely for that span of time? Either way I'm going to try to keep up cardio.

Replies

• BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had this. If you can move your arm above your head and bring it below, it is nothing to do with the rotators and is the bicep long head that goes in your shoulder. I'm guessing it is because our tendons grow slower versus or muscles and cannot take the load. I healed mine in three months. I took corticosteroids, but the rest, and pills along with the doctors advice failed. All doctors except, physiotherapist, orthopedist...know that rest with the injuries don't work. From my experience and what I read from scientific and medical articles, the industry hasn't even tried to even understand tendinitis, but you have tendonosis, since tendonitis heals after two weeks completely. You really need to loosen and stretch it, before it gets really stiff. I did that, plus cross friction message(debatable if it may work) and this from BB.com, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan13.htm...
    Now, this kinda worked, but it got inflamed again, because the tendon wants to be inflamed for blood supply to heal it, and I then, had to try another thing I saw work from reading a science article on Achilles tendon injuries, which was eccentric exercises. I did eccentric curl and progress weight for a month and it completely healed up.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Would this help?

https://youtu.be/fAvOnpN7Shc

Ditto to the advice on achilles repair working. But then again, it's recognized as a bad area to heal because of very low blood supply and almost constant use just from daily use, so what I read said the normal methods usually didn't work.
    But I guess that doesn't mean the method used on the achilles wouldn't work for other areas too.

Eccentric full range loading, light but many reps, 3 sets, about 3-5 times daily.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You may want to go to the doc to get a cortisone shot to see if that helps the healing along. My husband injured his shoulder lifting 9 months ago, went to the doctor, got several cortisone shots, PT. Cortisone shots helped him somewhat, but then it never progressed after that for 8 months. MRI showed two small tears that could have possibly healed but they haven't. He is getting surgery next week.

His doctor said that he usually will wait 9-12 months to see if it heals on its own before surgery with a small tear. If a few months off from the gym doesn't show a lot of improvement it is time to see a doctor and get an MRI. A bigger tear will not fix on its own.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Saw the doc today, he took x-rays and did some mobility tests. His diagnosis: repetitive motion-induced shoulder impingement. Prognosis: full recovery w/o surgery if follow recommended fix actions. Fix actions: avoid pushing/pressing/shrugging motions for 3 weeks. Take ibuprofen 3 times daily for the first two weeks, whether my shoulders bother me or not (typically not unless I push against something) to allow any inflammation to be reduced to speed healing. If pain is gone or close to, no follow up appointment needed. If pain remains, doc will administer cortisone shot.

He says lifting legs and bicep/tricep is fine, since they do not involve placing stress on the shoulder joint. My left shoulder is bothering me more than my right due to a small bone spur which has developed, but it shouldn't limit me going forward. Once I'm allowed to resume lifting motions with my upper body, I need to spend some time building up my rotator cuffs before I try heavy bench presses again.
  • Forciblyfit4fifty
    Forciblyfit4fifty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Saw the doc today, he took x-rays and did some mobility tests. His diagnosis: repetitive motion-induced shoulder impingement. Prognosis: full recovery w/o surgery if follow recommended fix actions. Fix actions: avoid pushing/pressing/shrugging motions for 3 weeks. Take ibuprofen 3 times daily for the first two weeks, whether my shoulders bother me or not (typically not unless I push against something) to allow any inflammation to be reduced to speed healing. If pain is gone or close to, no follow up appointment needed. If pain remains, doc will administer cortisone shot.

He says lifting legs and bicep/tricep is fine, since they do not involve placing stress on the shoulder joint. My left shoulder is bothering me more than my right due to a small bone spur which has developed, but it shouldn't limit me going forward. Once I'm allowed to resume lifting motions with my upper body, I need to spend some time building up my rotator cuffs before I try heavy bench presses again.

I have just gone through two surgeries, chronic pain for over five years and am just starting to row and do lat pulldowns. I can't wait to feel better again. Your doctor told you exactly what I was going to say. I think you have a good one.

I'm doing well now, partly because I have had an acromioplasty done on both shoulders (this means the bone was shaved to provide more room for the supraspinatus to move.) When you are better, BAND PULL-APARTS!!! No matter what your routine is, keep healthy and strong. Focus on the pulling exercises. I think I concentrated too much on bench press PR's back in the day. Good luck to you.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Finally hit the gym again today after over a month away. My shoulders made it through with flying colors. Of course, I was only lifting roughly 25% of the weight I used to use, so I got a ways to go to get back to where I was, but this was an important milestone. It just felt great to be back lifting again, even if I felt a tad ridiculous doing DB bench presses with a weight I used to curl as a warm-up. But I'm in this for the long haul, and want to keep lifting fifty years from now, so I'll take low and slow for a few months to rebuild strength in my rotator cuffs without straining them by gunning too heavy too early. Nearing 40 years old sucks for injury healing, but it has given me greater patience if nothing else.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Update:

I'm now roughly six-months post-injury. My recovery is steady and slow. Before I hurt my shoulder I set a bench 1RM PR of 285; after, I could barely lift 135. As of the other day I can bench 225 for 3 reps, so my strength is slowly coming back. More importantly, the pain in my shoulders is completely gone, whether benching or raising my arm to reach the spice rack in the kitchen. The only time I feel anything is when I twist my left arm outwards too quickly I'll get a slight twinge to remind me I ain't no spring chicken anymore.

This time around I think I'll forgo trying for more 1RM attempts, and instead concentrate on higher-rep sets. My hope is to get up to doing multiple sets of 10 at 225, should keep my shoulders plenty strong while avoiding the strain and stress I used to place on them trying for 275+.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Glad you are seeing progressive recovery. Though I do not lift anywhere near what would be considered "heavy," I have on again/off again shoulder tendinitis. That twinge you mentioned is my trigger for backing off when I try to over do it. Stubborn one that I am, I try to tough it out and not take the ibuprofen when I know I should. Consequently, I'll have three or four times a year that set me back. Thank you for updating your experience -- now if I'll just learn from it :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I deal with tendinitis on a daily basis for over a decade due to a disease that attacks my joints and tendons when I'm immobile.

I can't stress enough to condition your tendons for heavy weight by using a slow progression to your lifts.

Personally I do very little shoulder work other than flat bench, ohp, incline bench and some delt deck. The volume is critical when working heavy so I keep an eye on it. Shoulders aren't something you really want to a surgeon get his hands on.
  • nossmf
    Options
    For what it's worth, the other day I benched 225x5, so still making progress.

I used to do a tri-set sequence of DB front raise // lateral raise // rear lateral raise without rest between, but lately I've dropped the front raise out of the sequence, figuring my front delts get hit enough with bench and OHP already.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm just over a year out from labrum and rotator cuff surgery, recently started doing the band work in this video:https://youtu.be/IKc6hwPvsHg
  • nossmf
    Options
    That guy is simply AWESOME!!! I must check out more of his vids...