19/7/2015 day seven

Options
maoribadger
maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
....and I've weighed.in to.find I've lost four stone!!!

Replies

• KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Woohooo! Go Lise!!!
    I know this is an important milestone for you!!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Good morning all you MOTOs. I'm having a good morning--finally got Jim to freaking TALK. Ironically, he basically said that his Weds meltdown is something he's still working through and not ready to talk about yet. I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with just being shut out without an explanation--makes me feel like I'm married to a six-year-old who is going to stomp his feet and hold his breath.

Meeting with a young writer at noon... not looking forward to bursting his bubble, but as his plan is to skip college and run off to California to make movies, someone needs to tell him that he needs to develop better writing skills.

Food, exercise, maintenance, Bigfoot? I have to admit I'm barely checking in for this challenge. I've done an hour on Bigfoot, skipped my swim for two days, ate way too many medjool dates, and haven't used my face products since Wednesday.

BUT... the scale is moving downward again, and I need to get excited about a new goal. 349? Does that sound exciting??? I have so much to lose---it seems endless! Oh, maybe 344. That would put me at about the halfway there point. I think I can hit that by the end of September. Some days I just want to be put into a coma, fed intravenously, and wake up thin a year from now.

So what are you all doing today? Anything exciting?

Any ideas for livening up the challenges? I was thinking maybe I would set out a challenge within the challenge for the next one--like we did last summer with trying new fruits and posting articles on weight loss. Anyone interested?

Blah blah... I'm boring myself this morning... I need to put my funny cap on.
    Later!

K.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    It's been a long time coming I've been caught in a plateau partly of my own making and seem to have broken it now
  • maoribadger
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Two more lb will now see me halfway to goal. Another two and a half after that and I not only drop a stone bracket but go under 200lb
  • maoribadger
    Options
    174of2tirn6i.jpg
    pmr2fhxcvv67.jpg

A few collages made today for my weight loss folder on my computer. Tomorrow am is measurements to get an idea where I am at,

Karen am really glad you talked to your OH. Its a shame hes not ready to talk but if hes anything like mine wild horses wont drag it out of him until he is. And yes its like being married to a small child.

344 sounds good if its halfway. 50% of your journey completed is a big damned deal.

Today Ive been boxing and for a run. I ran first and nearly died during boxing - i wanted to puke anyway! Then went out for lunch with the family and ordered sensibly as I want to stay on track now! Im up for livening up a challenge. How about a motivational pic/quote thread.

And hey! Having a good brain day as I read all of that with no problems! ;)
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Looks like I was.ten lb out. I'm fourteen and a half.from Onederland not four.And a half. Ah well
  • KarenZen
    Options
    14 1/2 pounds is sooooooo close!!!

Amazing!

Lise, love the pics. Can def see big changes.

I gotta admit I absolutely HID from the camera at my highest weight, so maybe I need to do some pics now. I know my bariatric nurse took pics. I wonder if she'll send them to me.

Today was a GREAT day for feeling useful! I met with my screenwriter for three hours, and we hashed out both his usage/grammar issues (his particular "pattern of errors") and the gaping flaws and cliches in his character development and plot. Sent him off to do a re-write. Set up my boundaries (amount of time I'll give him).

I stopped teaching 3 years ago when Still's finally made it impossible for me to work. If I can get my spine sorted out, I would love to teach a class this year, even an online class (although I prefer in-classroom). I miss it terribly!!! I'm just not cut out for having no occupation, and although I still have writing to work on, it's a very solitary profession.

And SHHHHHHH (don't say it out loud because I don't want to jinx it), my Still's flares have been diminishing GREATLY in number and intensity since the beginning of May. I keep expecting the Dragon (we call it "the still's Dragon" because the fevers and burning rashes feel like dragon's breath) to rise in full force. I'm not off prednisone yet, but the way I feel...is so encouraging. When I meet with my new rheumatologist at the end of the month, I'm going to suggest I taper off. I'm still on two other immunosuppressants, but, again, shhhhhh.... I've cut WAY back on my biologic dose (co-pay increased from $40 monthly to $380, and we're a bit strapped right now) and am taking my DMARD every ten days instead of weekly. If you're still reading this paragraph, read "blah blah blah" SUMMARY: Before sleeve and weight loss, 40 mg. prednisone, 30 mg. weekly methotrexate, 200 mg. kineret. Now: 15 mg. pred., 30 mg. methotrexate every 10 days, 100 mg. kineret every other day. Before sleeve and weight loss, constant breakthrough flares with twice daily fevers and horrible joint and muscle pain. Since beginning May, mild once daily fevers and very manageable joint and muscle pain.

Karen dear, note to self: start a blog.

Sorry gang, I write to think things through and this group seems to be my repository lately.

So, not only do I have a further weight loss goal in mind, but I have this newly hatched, very fragile still, HOPE that I can return to my profession. The thought is thrilling and terrifying. Giving my notice and filing for disability absolutely cremated me--I had a once-in-a-lifetime job, a job description and programs that I built from scratch, and after I left, not only did my replacement not manage to continue to grow my programs, she actually stepped down and let the best of them dissolve, which ultimately led to the dissolution of our college's entire Humanities program. So I wouldn't be going back to my old job--I'd be creating something new. Exciting! and intimidating! and exciting!

Obviously my head is full of ideas right now.

I'm also feeling ambitious enough to swim a real swim. Just waiting to see if the thunder rolling through is going to turn to a real storm or just rumbling noises. Swimming a real swim, goggles on, sporty pace, would just be the cherry on top of a good day.

What are you all doing today? Don't be shy. What's posted on Mobo Moto, stays in MOBO MOTO.

Xxoo
    K.
  • maoribadger
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It all sounds really positive Karen. Esp on the job front. Fingers crossed for you to taper off your meds.

Ive had a quiet day aside from running and boxing. Appropriated the PS4 for my very own a little bit earlier. Have come in well within cals today so about to slope off to bed to see what tomorrow brings. Good luck with swimming
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    ....and I've weighed.in to.find I've lost four stone!!!

Congrats Lise! What an outstanding accomplishment! I just read your first post so need to look at the pics you posted! Well done!!!!!
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Karen it sounds like you are getting your mojo back! Why not start with an on line college teaching course! Ya gotta start somewhere and we are all taking on mini challenges so that sounds like a great idea! Build up from there! It is almost 1 am here and I am worn out so will get back tomorrow. Great pics Lise...great weight loss! Again congrats.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Lise it's great to see your progress and goals achievements even if there are tiny steps back along the way. you're like the steamroller that rubs low on gas once in a while but never ceases to come back to plow right over your obstacles one way or another!

Karen, ah the dreams. this is one of the places I feel the most disconnect from "normal" people. I can't remember the last time I had a dream. junior high? I kind of have been knocking around the life coach type idea, but where I live it would have to be more online stuff. plus the certifications and training would be so complicated and expensive. and I've only made a certain bit of progress. so it's not like I'm a so-called success. I don't know how to go about getting taken seriously. or even if I want to try to make something that is a passion my work. it has never ever worked for me before, and when even those closest to me don't "buy it" it is very discouraging.

Anyway, just keeping on. water is my biggest weekend struggle. and continuing to give a crap after the hellish week/month this has been. and I don't know why but I think some of my dietary creativity has faded and just figuring out what to eat has been a pita. sigh
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Yes, this dreamer just messaged my former associate Dean and told her I might be interested in doing a class this fall. She actually asked me last week(via a Facebook comment) when I would start teaching again. So...ball rolling.

Carly, what is your dream? your bliss? what do you imagine doing?

Out thunder turned to a storm with lightning, but according to the minute cast, I have 45 minutes of no more storm, so goggles are going on and here I go!

K.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Go Karen!

Now does anyone have any remedies for sleeplessness? Do not want medications nor herbal Meletoin just sleep suggestions? I have had about three hrs of sleep in the past three nites....that is one hour per nite! I do yoga breathing, position changes, now I am trying hot milk! Next? Cry myself to sleep? .?? I normally only get 5 hours or max 6 per nite, but this 1 hr is not good! Sorry to blubber....not a good nite!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh Nancy! How awful! I don't know about you, but when I'm in the hospital, I can't sleep because of all the small noises. Earplugs are my lifesavers. Can someone find you a pair to wear? I also had to ask the staff to NOT wake me up every couple of hours for stupid tests or medication.

You might ask for a sleeping pill--just one for one night--just to keep you from going insane. Seriously, sleep deprivation is absolutely terrible.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh, hahahhaa... I thought I'd finally fixed my profile picture. I sort of did... I'm no longer sideways. But now I have no mouth or chin, apparently. Gah!

In case you were wondering... YES, I did swim. A real swim, along the shoreline. Right leg was crazy painful (sciatic nerve) but it's amazing what three vicodin will do to make you forget about that, LOL. YES, I got out of the water before the lightning started again. Right now the sky is booming and flashing like crazy. My right leg and lower lumbar are covered in ice packs.

Carly, if you are in a food funk, try making a big pot of chili and freezing it in portions. Great as is, or make a "taco salad" (just dump your chili onto some lettuce, cukes, and tomatoes). I also make a chicken parmesan in a big lot. Buy the split breasts (bone in--much cheaper than boneless). Peel off the skin (or if you want the skin, brown the breasts skin down in a skillet for a few minutes). Toss in crockpot, dump a couple of cans of italian stewed tomatoes on top, let slow cook all day. I like to toss in a couple of zucchini and summer squash too, sort of a chicken ratatouille. Freeze in portions. Serve with shredded parmesan, or melted mozzerella. The tomatoes have some carbs, but not too many. If you're dying for pasta, try some quinoa pasta (low carb/high protein), or some Dreamfields low carb pasta--really, really good. If you have a low carb bbq sauce recipe, you can do a pulled pork in crockpot, or even do the chicken as a "pulled chicken."

Okay, I swear this is my last babble of the night. I'm on my laptop today, so very very wordy.

Just heard back from my colleague--I may be teaching an online class this fall--Senior Seminar. It's the required senior thesis class for our college. Fun class. A bit labor-intensive, but I actually helped re-design the course a few years ago and would just adjust that model for online. Woot woot~~~I might get part of my life back here!

Well happy Day Seven to everyone. Don't worry about what you all have done in the past week; apparently I am a whirling dervish today and will get enough done for everyone to have a piece, hahaha. Now if only I could lose enough weight for everyone too... Say, 64 pounds this week and you can all have 8.

xxoo
    K.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For sleeping, I recommend finding meditation music to play to clear your mind before falling asleep and allowing you to fall back asleep quickly when you do wake up. I used to be horrible at both those things and I found some free apps to put on my phone that I have some variety. my favorite one has a timer!

And. Karen. that is just the thing. I don't have a "bliss." Every segment of my life has been focused on something. I gave up dreaming when I was a senior in hs. There's a whole story there but I'm not going to type it all out on my phone. since then, and probably even before then, life was about surviving. There was never time for anything else.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    For sleeping, I recommend finding meditation music to play to clear your mind before falling asleep and allowing you to fall back asleep quickly when you do wake up. I used to be horrible at both those things and I found some free apps to put on my phone that I have some variety. my favorite one has a timer!

And. Karen. that is just the thing. I don't have a "bliss." Every segment of my life has been focused on something. I gave up dreaming when I was a senior in hs. There's a whole story there but I'm not going to type it all out on my phone. since then, and probably even before then, life was about surviving. There was never time for anything else.

Never too late to start dreaming again, honey. Even if the dreams seem unreachable. I figure, just put the idea out into the universe... see what happens.

I'm a survivor too.
    K.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi gang. Looks like you all have been busy in my absence. Thursday night I went to my spa night and it was AWESOME!! Nothing like a facial and foot soak to make you feel better. Great thing is I get to do it again in 2 weeks. Friday I ran some errands and cleaned my house. Saturday I got to pick up my Cody from his mini-police Academy. Not sure if I told you all about it or not. Last Sunday I dropped him off at the St. Louis Area Law Enforcement Explorers Academy. They were yelling at him before he was even out of the van. The first couple days are the worst. It's kinda like the military where they break you down to build you up. I heard from him very little all week which does not make a mother feel better when she's left her "baby" with all these people yelling at him. Well, Saturday was his graduation day. I am so proud of him. He stuck it out, stayed motivated and pushed through even when he hurt himself. He passed the physical fitness test, ran for 45 mins every morning at 5:30, and even completed the obstacle course including getting over the wall. My "baby" grew up on me. In this day and age I'm not too crazy about his choice of profession but if it's what he really wants to do I will stand by him 100% (even though I'll be on my knees every day praying). Today was church and then we helped a friend move. I have a busy week scheduled this week but I am going back to the Y starting tomorrow. One of the ladies at church is just getting started so we have teamed up. I'm going to try and include a picture of me and my "baby". 4e8uxxlr1u7q.jpg
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Holy cow! Dee, your baby has grown up!!! Look at how tall he is now! And very handsome. And you look like a lovely, proud mama.
  • KarenZen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    wdhlcy2mela4.jpg

Here's something wonderful to end your day... recent photo of my great niece. She is just precious!